Q701 impressions thread
Jan 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #196 of 9,602

Quote:
Do you think you could post a pic of the BJC cable and it's connectors/plugs?

regular_smile%20.gif

too lazy to upload pictures, took it with my phone, pm me or put your email here and i'll just email it to you and you can post it :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #198 of 9,602

Quote:

Not hard to believe at all.

Beyer uses the same drivers for the 600 ohm DT770, DT880 and DT990.
Same drivers for the other impedance variations too.
The difference lies in how the drivers are mounted in the headphone shell.

The service manuals I posted show that the driver mounting is the EXACT same between them.
Manufacturing tolerances account for the measurement differences and thus the differences some "audiophiles" are hearing, or think they're hearing.

I honestly don't know why I bother. I mean, the OP thinks that cables affect soundstage for crying out loud...

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #200 of 9,602
E10 is pretty good with the Q701.  I think for $80 it's as good as you can get for the money.

Adding E9 to E10 gives a bigger soundstage, slightly less mids, and more highs.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #201 of 9,602

Quote:
The service manuals I posted show that the driver mounting is the EXACT same between them.
Manufacturing tolerances account for the measurement differences and thus the differences some "audiophiles" are hearing, or think they're hearing.

I honestly don't know why I bother. I mean, the OP thinks that cables affect soundstage for crying out loud...

Closed, semi-open, open.
Is that exactly the same?

Edit:  the OP is entitled to his opinion.  I don't agree with it but I am willing to listen to his opinion.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #202 of 9,602

Quote:
Closed, semi-open, open.
Is that exactly the same?

Edit:  the OP is entitled to his opinion.  I don't agree with it but I am willing to listen to his opinion.

I was talking about the Q701 and the K702, that's what the thread is about. Read my post.
I posted the Q701 and the K702 service manuals, which I guess you ignored.

His opinion is delusional, and serves to only cause people spend money on **** they don't need.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #203 of 9,602

Quote:

Grado exercises something similar, taking the drivers that measure better and placing them in their higher models.

You forget that the same "exact" driver can be voiced differently.... Grado also does this.  Maybe Beyer does too now that you point this out?

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #204 of 9,602
Cables definitely make a difference. 20awg silver plated copper sounds a lot different than the stock.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #205 of 9,602

Quote:

I was talking about the Q701 and the K702, that's what the thread is about. Read my post.

His opinion is delusional, and serves to only cause people spend money on **** they don't need.

So we should just listen to the guy who has NOT tried both with his own ears? How do you know they don't sound totally different or exactly the same? Just service manuals? Are you kidding me?
Then again...we are talking to the guy who gives a 1/10 rating to a headphone just because he doesn't like the sound of it. This tells us a lot. I don't even know if you're just trolling or what.

Please also tell us what cables you've tried to not believe a copper cable can improve a headphone's soundstage. Oh wait, you're one of those science guys who say it's impossible without actual proof it doesn't. Please don't give me the excuse that it's in the recording. I think we all know this. When I was new I wanted to believe cables make absolutely zero difference in sound. After doing my own research I've found that this is not true. I do still think that they improvements are usually minor and not worth hundreds of dollars. Stock cables are mostly junk and that even cheap Mogami is an upgrade. If people don't believe in cables, then that's fine. I'm not trying to preach to people that they're wrong. Cables non-believers love to do this all the time, but yet never bothered to do much testing to try and prove that they're wrong. I still don't believe any cable is worth hundreds of dollars.

Nobody here is telling people to go out and buy a headphone they don't need. Nobody is going to fork over $250 for a headphone without doing their research.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd much rather listen to the opinions of people who actually used the headphones they're commenting on, which you haven't.

If someone tries the Q701 and can't hear any difference, then what's the big deal? Please tell me where are all the people who feel they're the same? I think there's two of them...none of them have yet posted on this thread.

I think it's pretty obvious by now from people who tried them both that they sound a bit different.

BTW I was one of the people like you who believed they were both exactly the same..then I actually tried them with my own ears..again, which is something you haven't done.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #206 of 9,602
For my own amusement I tried these with an E9 and a docked Ipod Touch 2G for the first time yesterday (line out). Not sure why this is, but it sounded pretty bad. Almost as if the mids were much worse and not as forward sounding. The sound was much more distant. For "fun" i used a very neutral Clip (yes, really) and it sounded so much better. The Clip doesn't even have a line out, so you'd think the sound would degrade a lot. My Ipod Touch doesn't really sound neutral at all. I thought it was? I think the E9 drives the Q701 just fine, but does benefit from better amps.

I bet the warm sounding first PS1 to the E9 would sound really good. I think that first PS1 (with RCA jacks) rolls off the highs and improves the bass a bit.

E9 makes a good bedroom setup. Kind of nice having amps in two rooms to use! A portable amp that drives the Q701 with ease sure would be nice.

Don't know why, but I don't like using a full sized DAC, but it's kind of required. Too bad portable devices and large CD players don't sound as good as a DAC on my PC.

Off to try this some more with my Airhead. Surprised how well it sounds from that. I wonder how the Airhead compares to the E10 as an amp. Probably very similar. The Airhead can drive some fairly difficult to drive headphones such as the HD-650 and K702.

I remember once comparing the sound of my HD-650 with the Asgard, E9 and Airhead and I liked the sound the most from the Airhead. What the heck?! That's what made me give the Micro Amp a try. I remember the HD-650 sounded a lot more clear with the E9. Don't know why..

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #207 of 9,602

Quote:

There are several differences when you compare the K702 BoM to the Q701 BoM.
I suspect most of them are due to the fact that the K702 looks a bit different.
But there is one difference which probably accounts for the difference in sound.
K702 has item # 14, the "Cardan Piece"
Q701 has items # 14 and 15, two "Cardan Pieces".  Item #15 is an additional "Cardan piece".
This in addition to the infamous "Q" button on the grid piece.

It is very easy to take two identical sets of loudspeaker drivers (woofer and tweeter), put them in slightly enclosures, viola! the loudspeaker systems will sound different.
I heard this several years ago in a line of loudspeakers made by an English company called JPW.   They made three models with identical drivers.  They sounded different. The difference was in the execution of the enclosures. 

Call me delusional.

P.S.   "Dock", yer OK by me!
biggrin.gif

Edit, Eisenhower, I couldn't figure out whether you were referring to the DT770/880/990 or K70x/Q701 series in your earlier post.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #208 of 9,602

Quote:
There are several differences when you compare the K702 BoM to the Q702 BoM.
I suspect most of them are due to the fact that the K702 looks a bit different.
But there is one difference which probably accounts for the difference in sound.
K702 has item # 14, the "Cardan Piece"
Q702 has items # 14 and 15, two "Cardan Pieces".  Item #15 is an additional "Cardan piece".
This in addition to the infamous "Q" button on the grid piece.

It is very easy to take two identical sets of loudspeaker drivers (woofer and tweeter), put them in slightly enclosures, viola! the loudspeaker systems will sound different.
I heard this several years ago in a line of loudspeakers made by an English company called JPW.   They made three models with identical drivers.  They sounded different. The difference was in the execution of the enclosures. 

Call me delusional.

P.S.   "Dock", yer OK by me!
biggrin.gif

Edit, Eisenhower, I couldn't figure out whether you were referring to the DT770/880/990 or K70x/Q701 series in your earlier post.

When I did mods to all my old headphones, I was really surprised at how easy it was to alter the sound signature of a headphone. I first noticed this when I put a DJ100 driver into an open shell and then into an XB500 shell. I was kind of shocked that the XB500 pads/shell could make my DJ100 extremely bass heavy and not in a good way. You can even make it have too much treble and too forward of mids. Pretty surprising.

My idea all along is that the enclosure insides, the button and possibly the cable is what changes the sound. It's much bigger IMO than simple variations between the same model of headphone. It wouldn't take much to alter the sound of the K702. Someone could open up the insides of the K702 and Q701 and compare them if they're bored.
normal_smile%20.gif

I don't know if the stock K702 cable is the same as the stock Q701 cable. I noticed the Q701 cable sounds much different than any other Q701 copper cable I've tried. Perhaps it's higher quality than the old K702 cable or maybe the same. Of course this is opening up another whole can of worms..especially for those that don't believe in cables.

If someone else in the future gets to try both the Q701 and the K702 at the same time, make sure you use the stock cables. Then possibly switch them and compare.

Maybe someone with a K702 can try a Q701 cable and see if it sounds the sound. There's about a 90% chance they're the same, but just green. They do look almost thicker, but probably not.

Is the K240 Studio stock cable the same as the K702 cable? If so, I can try that, but I wasn't sure..

BTW I bet the people who think the Q701 the K702 are the same (without trying them) also believe the 325is and the 225i are exactly the same too. Or the HD-595 and HD-598!

Here's another thing..have you seen the graphs of the K272HD vs the K271? They look totally different.
confused_face_2.gif
Even more so than the Q701 and K702 graphs. I believe those share the same drivers too.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #210 of 9,602

Quote:
BTW I bet the people who think the Q701 the K702 are the same (without trying them) also believe the 325is and the 225i are exactly the same too. Or the HD-595 and HD-598!

Oh man, do the SR-225i and SR-325i ever sound radically different!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back