1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Q701 impressions thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tdockweiler, Nov 27, 2011.
First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last
  1. Lurkumaural

Quote:

I've opened up my Q's a few times out of morbid curiosity (and planning a recable) and never noticed this.  Good to know!

2. mmayer167
    Yea if you don't know what your doing please don't attempt a re-cable of the 70x series. 

-M

Edit: I had to mention after a bunch more headtime with the q and Lyr-bifrost combo that it is an excellent pairing! The synergy is like the hd600 and the asgard I had back when. The bass is so dam good i cant imagine a headphone doing it better (for me), tactfully. The extension is also amazing ( so sparkley with no hint of harshness) on the top end and the tubey mids are so real and spacious. If you are doubtful with this pairing, doubt not, it is great.

3. Chris J

Quote:

My limited experience:
    I tried out a Cardas HP cable with my Sennheiser HD424 (I was hoping it might mellow the HD424 out a bit).
    I found it almost impossible to hear a difference.
    I felt that I would be better served by saving my $200 for a better headphone amp or another pair of 'phones (crazy, isn't it it?)

4. HaVoC-28
    On my K702 : custom cable : mogami 2534 , swiftchraft mini xlr connector , neutrik 6.35 jack , compared to stock cable => no difference audible , only at the first time : a beautifull placebo effect , after carrefull listening : it's the same or nearly the same , peraphs soldering is wrong somewhere , but custom cable for my K702 was a disapointement , at least i tryed , if some hear a difference well no prob ^^ 

5. Chris J
    I'm not surprised but thanks for the update.[​IMG]
    I almost dropped $200.00 on a Moon Audio cable for my Q701s.

6. tdockweiler

Quote:

For the Q701's you don't need to open them up and solder anything. To get the most benefits from a recable on the Q701 you do need to rip out those internal wires, but I haven't done this.
    I still think the benefits of just replacing the external mini-XLR cable are not huge. You still have those internal wires degrading the benefits.

I wasted an HOUR or two with my K702 last year trying to compare the difference between 3 copper headphone cables. One from Guitar-Cable.com, Canare and Mogami. I couldn't do it. It was just placebo I think when I felt I could. I didn't have a very good DAC then and that was probably why. I know that sounds hard to believe..

When I solder a headphone cable directly to the driver, it's stupid easy to tell the difference, but it depends on the headphone.

I also once spent forever trying to hear if I could tell the difference between interconnect cables. I could never hear a difference until I got my new DAC. Weird huh? I guess source/DAC matters more than I thought. Now when I use different interconnect cables it's easy to tell the difference, but only on very specific headphones such as the KRKs and Q701.

I haven't tried the Canare/mogami Q701 cables since I got my DAC, but it's worth another try.

I myself would never buy a super expensive cable for the Q701 unless it's soldered directly to the drivers.

To me It's difficult to tell the difference between copper cables on the Q701. I heard an improvement with the DHC wire I heard, but I don't like that wire at all (everyone in the world does it seems). When I tried the silver plated copper cable the difference was very clear, but it did take me a good couple of weeks to figure out the exact differences. Not really sure why the silver plated copper sounds different than copper! Not sure how the DHC could sound so good despite the stock wires still being inside.

I would like to try a Cardas cable on the Q701 just to know for sure if there is a difference before calling it "snake oil".

I'm a huge believer of cables when they're directly soldered to the driver. My cheap recabled HD-598 sounds amazing. Cost me only $8 in supplies!

BTW Mogami is probably very similar to the stock Q701/K702. Mogami is good, but quite neutral, but kind of warm, but not as much as the Canare. This might explain why there was not much difference.

My best suggestion to most is to buy bulk wire and make your own cable. If you don't hear any difference then you've only lost out on under $20 worth of supplies. Learning to make cables is kind of fun. I usually recable most of my headphones. I think $5 for even a 3% improvement in sound is worth it [​IMG]

EDIT:

I think if you don't have a fairly revealing amp/DAC the benefits of recables on the Q701 are even smaller IMO.

7. Chris J

Quote:

Basically I agree, cables only make a difference in a very revealing system.

8. Austin Morrow

Quote:

I don't entirely agree with this. Cabled don't just make a difference in detail retrieval, they sometimes (in my Q701 cables case) make the whole spectrum sound a dash brighter.

9. Chris J

Quote:

That's not what I said.
    Read it again.

10. Austin Morrow

Quote:

I know. What I am saying is that you don't need a high end revealing system to hear a difference on the Q701.

11. kchau
    got my cable, i didnt notice an improvement that jumps at me. the connectors however, are REALLY nice, and i will probably order another at 15 feet.

edit: i take that back. put on some Kenny G at normal listening levels, and i heard something i never heard before. the buttons/valves/whatever on his sax, i can hear the clicks for when he changes notes. I've never heard this before, not with the AD900, not with the AD900+valhalla, not through my uncle's arcam hifi system, and not with the stock cable.

someone go listen to forever in love and tell me if you hear it, and if you've noticed it before

12. Austin Morrow

Quote:

Which cable did you get, again?

13. kchau
    custom cable from bjc, uses neutrik connectors and a belden 1508A

14. HaVoC-28

Quote:

Well the mogami cable etc was not soo expensive , and it's always good to have a replacement cable , yeah directly to the driver it would be another story but for me on my system (Audio GD NFB-2 DAC + C2.1 AMP well it was about the same , and i think that this setup is enough revealing [​IMG] , we don't have the same hearing , peraphs it am less sensitive to cable tweaks etc ^^ 

15. chicolom

Quote:

Do you think you could post a pic of the BJC cable and it's connectors/plugs?

[​IMG]

First

Back
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Next

Last