Q701 impressions thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #9,333 of 9,602
Yeah. For a lot of people it's fine. Some find it more comfortable than other headbands. However, for me I probably would have returned them If I didn't buy a pad.

SLICE THE PADS, SLICE THE PADS WITH RAZORS!!!

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #9,335 of 9,602

this is what i got as headband, real comfy

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #9,336 of 9,602
Hey I was wondering if any of you could help me with DAC and AMP for this pair of headphones:
I recently decided to get an AMP and DAC. I want to order these from Amazon as I don't know any other shops that ship globally. From the little research I've done - Magni and Modi is the best combo. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship these globally as I'm looking for alternatives.
If somebody could shoot me some suggestions that would be great, I'm really eager to get a duo combo.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #9,337 of 9,602
Hey I was wondering if any of you could help me with DAC and AMP for this pair of headphones:

I recently decided to get an AMP and DAC. I want to order these from Amazon as I don't know any other shops that ship globally. From the little research I've done - Magni and Modi is the best combo. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship these globally as I'm looking for alternatives.
If somebody could shoot me some suggestions that would be great, I'm really eager to get a duo combo.

You can get the Schiit stuff on their own website, they ship internationally (at least they used to).

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #9,338 of 9,602
Yeah, I heard the Q/K701 out of a lot of things but the Schiit stack really stands out to me. Perfect combo for $1000~ in my mind

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #9,340 of 9,602
I think an AKG + Schitt combo is $500 overboard there :D

Haha maybe so. I just loved the Lyr and Bifrost combo when I first heard it. Of course I personally own the Gumby though.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #9,344 of 9,602
  u can try good vintage amp that is in your budjet with the Q701 by a chance?

I think an AKG + Schitt combo is $500 overboard there :D
Haha maybe so. I just loved the Lyr and Bifrost combo when I first heard it. Of course I personally own the Gumby though.

Oh I didn't know we were talking about the Lyr/Bitfrost, thought we were on the topic of the Modi/Magni. I suppose it's hard to say what's the true stack of Schitt since there's so many of them.
  They ain't shipping /;_;\
How about E17? or EF2A? anybody can tell me how these sound?

I can tell you that the E17 isn't a fair pair with the Q701's. Since the bass is looser than similarly priced desktop options (ODAC/O2/Modi/Magni), treble isn't as extended, soundstage a bit narrower and midrange can be a bit peaky. Of course those characteristics are a bit exaggerated but if you heard the Q701's and E17 together, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I was at some point considering the EF2A but users have stated that they're a bit noisy, so I avoided that as a tube amp. I also would avoid unpopular tube amps, take it from someone who ordered 3 chinese tube amps, they usually end up noisy, lack extension on both ends and have absolutely terrible dynamics.

The ODAC/O2 is also a good choice, but if you end up wanting a warmer sound; you can order an LME49720HA op amp (with adapter) and replace it as the output voltage buffer. 
Here's a trick that I found with the AKG Q701's if you eventually end up raising your budget for the DAC/Amps.

If you want the sound as-is, but want more microdetails out of a good DAC; solid state amplifiers are your best bet. As the current just simply fills the AKG's requirements better.
If you want a bit more upper treble extension and a warmer bass-body, tube amps have higher voltage outputs that do just this.

u can try good vintage amp that is in your budjet with the Q701 by a chance?

Heh. Just... wanted to... yeah. Your forum picture.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #9,345 of 9,602

I can tell you that the E17 isn't a fair pair with the Q701's. Since the bass is looser than similarly priced desktop options (ODAC/O2/Modi/Magni), treble isn't as extended, soundstage a bit narrower and midrange can be a bit peaky. Of course those characteristics are a bit exaggerated but if you heard the Q701's and E17 together, you'd know what I'm talking about.

I was at some point considering the EF2A but users have stated that they're a bit noisy, so I avoided that as a tube amp. I also would avoid unpopular tube amps, take it from someone who ordered 3 chinese tube amps, they usually end up noisy, lack extension on both ends and have absolutely terrible dynamics.

The ODAC/O2 is also a good choice, but if you end up wanting a warmer sound; you can order an LME49720HA op amp (with adapter) and replace it as the output voltage buffer. 
Here's a trick that I found with the AKG Q701's if you eventually end up raising your budget for the DAC/Amps.

If you want the sound as-is, but want more microdetails out of a good DAC; solid state amplifiers are your best bet. As the current just simply fills the AKG's requirements better.
If you want a bit more upper treble extension and a warmer bass-body, tube amps have higher voltage outputs that do just this.

Heh. Just... wanted to... yeah. Your forum picture.

lol, you got me :D

well from my experience with the Q701 vintage amps are one of the best and cheapest options for the Q701...
my current vintage amp which costs arround 300$ drives the 701 better then amps like AMB M3, master 9, leben and many more i have tried.
At his budjet there are some options, but i want him to try before buying ("u can try good vintage amp that is in your budjet with the Q701 by a chance?")
because im not sure every amp will have good headphones output...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back