Q701 impressions thread
Jan 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #8,386 of 9,602
I was curious and emailed AKG/Harman about replacement pads.  They don't actually list a part number for the K7XX yet, specifically.  This is the content that they did send me:

"[COLOR=17365D]5021871                $47.55each pad                 CUSHION, K 612,K 712,K702_Anniversary"[/COLOR]

Yes, that is indeed exorbitantly priced.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #8,387 of 9,602
That's pretty ridiculous considering the price of the headphone. Even the HD800 pads I bought a few years back was less.

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #8,389 of 9,602
Yes, it really is. I have not listened to any other headphones since these arrived. I am, however, quite curious about the new Fidelio X2s and Koss SP330s (Tyll is a formidable marketing vehicle).

The Fidelio X2s are hard to come by.  Amazon is already out of stock... again.  I'm listening to them as I type, and I'm down with Tyll's hype 
wink.gif
  Oh, and those wonderful HM5 memory foam velours are a fantastic substitute for the stock pads.  Far more comfortable.  Now if I could just figure out how to mount them on the Q701s.  I might have to open my backup pair and have a fiddle.

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #8,390 of 9,602
The Fidelio X2s are hard to come by.  Amazon is already out of stock... again.  I'm listening to them as I type, and I'm down with Tyll's hype :wink:   Oh, and those wonderful HM5 memory foam velours are a fantastic substitute for the stock pads.  Far more comfortable.  Now if I could just figure out how to mount them on the Q701s. I might have to open my backup pair and have a fiddle.

Fourtunately the X2's are widely available over here but the prices are high :frowning2:

I picked out a pair today and for me it already feels as if they're the perfect compliment tontjw Q's with a very different sound but still equally excellent.

My DT880's are already up for sale........

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #8,392 of 9,602
Do the bumps on the headband soften up after a while? The guy I bought my Q701 off didn't use them much so I'm hoping it does. I really don't see a reason for the bumps to be on there but I'm starting to see why the bumps have been complained about so much.

In any case I think I'll probably get the Lyr 2 for these headphones. As I suspected my Concero HP doesn't drive them well at the volumes I listen to. The bass sounds pretty bad. It does get slightly better at a higher volume but that's not my listening volume so doesn't really matter much. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #8,393 of 9,602
  Do the bumps on the headband soften up after a while? The guy I bought my Q701 off didn't use them much so I'm hoping it does. I really don't see a reason for the bumps to be on there but I'm starting to see why the bumps have been complained about so much.

In any case I think I'll probably get the Lyr 2 for these headphones. As I suspected my Concero HP doesn't drive them well at the volumes I listen to. The bass sounds pretty bad. It does get slightly better at a higher volume but that's not my listening volume so doesn't really matter much. 

You could find some bubble wrap, cut a piece off of it, fold it in half, and have a Q701 you can wear all day.

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #8,394 of 9,602
Thanks, I'll take a look. I am looking into this Musical Fidelity - V90-DAC

Little Dot makes a CD Transport with 3 digital outputs for approx. $370 USD.
Model number is CDP_II.
I have one which I use with my Beresford Caiman II DAC.
No complaints, excellent sound via Toslink cable from CD Transport to DAC.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #8,395 of 9,602
Little Dot makes a CD Transport with 3 digital outputs for approx. $370 USD.
Model number is CDP_II.
I have one which I use with my Beresford Caiman II DAC.
No complaints, excellent sound via Toslink cable from CD Transport to DAC.

Thanks, I did look into that. I was wondering if I can pick up any cheap CD player as long as its got a digital output to feed whatever DAC I choose to buy. How important is the CD player if I am only using the transport side of it?

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #8,396 of 9,602
Thanks, I did look into that. I was wondering if I can pick up any cheap CD player as long as its got a digital output to feed whatever DAC I choose to buy. How important is the CD player if I am only using the transport side of it?

I bought the Little Dot DAC because it was a good soild, well built transport that wasn't cheap looking.

Maybe others will weigh in here.

In 2015 it's easy to buy a DVD player with a digital output for approx. $100, personally, I'm not sure if a transport makes a difference. There are many who think that a quality transport sounds better and many who think it makes no difference.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #8,397 of 9,602
I can't see how the transport makes a shred of difference other than, perhaps, in terms of isolation from vibration.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #8,398 of 9,602

IMHO, upgrading your transporrt is up there with putting little pointy things on the bottoms of your equipment or upgrading your cables.  You're talking about a difference that's so small as to be imperceptible to most people.  But some people swear by them.  For my money, I'd just find a CD player with the features you want and a digital out.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #8,399 of 9,602
IMHO, upgrading your transporrt is up there with putting little pointy things on the bottoms of your equipment or upgrading your cables.  You're talking about a difference that's so small as to be imperceptible to most people.  But some people swear by them.  For my money, I'd just find a CD player with the features you want and a digital out.
Thanks, I have to agree and now I'm on the lookout for a cheap cd player with digital out. Just have to decide on a dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back