Q701 impressions thread
Oct 29, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #8,011 of 9,602
Hmmm... Interesting, Liu Junyuan... comfy looking, to be sure.. and perfect for winter, but I'm wondering if these wool covers are washable? Also, I'm wondering how much they might attract hair or lint? I own a very affectionate Pit Bull, and my HD650s seem to attract his shed fur, even with vacuuming.. so not sure if matching black wool cover might have same problem? Your thoughts---?

Hand wash with Woolite and line dry.  Easy Peasy.  I haven't noticed much accumulating on it, and I have the black, but I don't have pets.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #8,012 of 9,602
Hand wash with Woolite and line dry.  Easy Peasy.  I haven't noticed much accumulating on it, and I have the black, but I don't have pets.

Are they sized per HP model, or does one size pretty much fit all? I was considering 2 for my Q701s and 2 for my HD650s, and swap between them so there's always clean one I can switch out to.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #8,013 of 9,602
Well its definitely not a scratchy wool, nor does it really warm up my head. It just functions as a really nice pad, better than the more expensive pleather pad widely available on Amazon, which I also own and which is sitting in a drawer somewhere far away from my headphones.

I dont know about pet hair, but it seems to me that it could not be any worse than velour.

Is it washable? I believe it is but havent had it long enough to try.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #8,014 of 9,602
Well its definitely not a scratchy wool, nor does it really warm up my head. It just functions as a really nice pad, better than the more expensive pleather pad widely available on Amazon, which I also own and which is sitting in a drawer somewhere far away from my headphones.

I dont know about pet hair, but it seems to me that it could not be any worse than velour.

Is it washable? I believe it is but havent had it long enough to try.

This is a general comment for those considering these headbands:

If you've got very little hair on top, you will notice it, and it definitely warms up my balding pate.  It's more noticeable when it's warm, like our current Indian Summer on the east coast of the US.  When it's cooler, it's quite pleasant.  Even so, I didn't mind it at all last night, and that was with the HE-500s, which, due to their weight, make it even more noticeable.

It's wool, so don't expect anything else, but it also seems to be as advertised: 100% Merino wool (google it and you'll find not all Merino is created equally).  As such, it's about the softest, non-scratchy wool you'll find.  Just don't expect cashmere.

All wool is washable.  Soak in a very small amount of Woolite, rinse gently, line dry.  Easy peasy.

My intention is not to discourage you, just being realistic.  I think for $10 shipped from China, it's an excellent deal, even for baldies 
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #8,015 of 9,602

You need this. Very worth the $10.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261445245520?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&var=560328514526&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have one of those for my Grado 325is in yellow, to match my yellow flat pads.
Here's what I did to my Quincy Joneses:
(See info. below)

First though, I used a couple of cable ties to cinch that annoying rubber strap to the wire arches to make for a more comfortable fit.
Mary's e-mail add. is ladybug10759@aol.com.
She will make these pads to size, and has different colors to choose from. It was only like $8 mailed.
Tell her Brian sent you!

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #8,017 of 9,602

Oh, that activity is to be done in private, just like when you're watching your pr0n 
wink.gif
  Not that you do that sort of thing.  Not a bad idea to wash your pads.  I washed my homemade jergpads and they held up fine.  Still itchy though.

Yeah, I slide them forward a bit, but mostly to keep the dust screen from touching my ears.  I read a comment from Tyll of innerfidelity.com where he mentioned someone telling him that imaging can be improved by wearing them lower and more forward than a standard fit.  He tried it, said, Yeah, maybe, but... and returned to normal usage.  YMMV.

And I'm serious about the lint brush.  Picked one up at Giant (supermarket) on a whim.  Does a great job.  And it is red.

Any time I have to remove a small amount of lint or hair, I just take some scotch tape and roll it around my fingers sticky-side-out and keep touching the offending material until it's all stuck to the tape. Works great for sweaters, coats, etc. although for larger items of course your roller would be best.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #8,020 of 9,602
I have one of those for my Grado 325is in yellow, to match my yellow flat pads.
Here's what I did to my Quincy Joneses:
(See info. below)

OMG!

Are you mad?:eek:

Just kidding, LOL!

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #8,021 of 9,602
Oct 29, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #8,023 of 9,602
Any of you use these with a Schiit Valhalla 2?  I was thinking of getting a second amp that I'd be using with my HD650s as well as the Q701.  I know the Asgard 2 might be a better fit but really enticed with getting a tube amp (want something different and want it to look really nice.) ...and yes I'm very superficial.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #8,025 of 9,602
  I'am happy with my Bottlehead CRACK and S.E.X. amps. they both drive the Q and 650 very well.

Hmm.  I just don't wanna build something and I already own and trust Schiit and of course I'm one of those guys that cares about looks so that my DAC and Amp match.
But sounds like it runs well on tubes, unless the Bottlehead Crack has some lower impedance though, hopefully someone with the new Valhalla 2 can get back to me on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back