Q701 impressions thread
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #7,891 of 9,602
Don't want to fully cross-post, so here's a link to a brief Q701s/K712s comparison I just posted:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659251/the-akg-k712-pro-support-and-impressions-thread/3390#post_10957832

TL;DR version: the K712s are brighter, and responded well to the foam-covered bass port mod and slight EQing of 2 & 2.5 kHz bands.  Q701s might seem warmer due to more hours on them.  I was pleasantly surprised by the Q701s.  More comparisons to follow.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #7,892 of 9,602
I put the build quality of the plastics aside because the sound quality is so good on these especially once port modded and headband modded for comfort but as time has gone on I've grown more aware of the creaking (like when I move my head quickly during quiet moments of a game or movie) as I tend to pick up on these things way more easily than other people and it bothers me. Like if I'm in someone's car and there's a rattle only I'll be able to consciously be aware of it whereas other passengers won't even take notice of it.

I've got the Fidelio X2 coming tomorrow so will compare both side by side and decide whether the Q701 is worth keeping if the X2 sounds on a similar level to my ears. Had the X1 so know the build quality is unmatched by any other headphone even at double or triple the price from what I can see.

Looking forward to your comparison.  If you could, please mention the relative depth and comfort of the stock pads as they compare to each other.  I find the Q701 and K712 pads just marginally not deep enough, with ears hitting the screens.  Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7,893 of 9,602

Looking forward to your comparison.  If you could, please mention the relative depth and comfort of the stock pads as they compare to each other.  I find the Q701 and K712 pads just marginally not deep enough, with ears hitting the screens.  Thanks!

Sure thing! I've tried the Anniversary pads on the Q701 too and found them to be better comfort wise and thickness but the stock pads deliver better sound and are stiffer. They're thicker on one side and thinner on the other though which may explain why your ears hit the screens! The X2 should not have this problem as the driver is angled whereas it's the pads on the Q701 that does the angling.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #7,894 of 9,602
  Sure thing! I've tried the Anniversary pads on the Q701 too and found them to be better comfort wise and thickness but the stock pads deliver better sound and are stiffer. They're thicker on one side and thinner on the other though which may explain why your ears hit the screens! The X2 should not have this problem as the driver is angled whereas it's the pads on the Q701 that does the angling.

Funny thing is, I've got both pads, and they both touch to some degree.  The K712 pads do it more, which may be due to compression of the memory foam, the fact they're not angled, and the thicker wool felt rings I'm using.  The Q701 pads touch slightly if I'm using the wool felt, but being stiffer they compress less.

I need to do more pad swapping between the two cans.  My recollection of a very brief swap was that the Q701 pads made the K712s even brighter, which is a serious no-go for now.  If burn-in mellows them out a little, the Q pads might work better.  I think the pads are affecting the sound stage, too, but again, more testing needs to be done.

I'm just looking for a decent pair of dynamic cans for cheap.  Not sure the K712s are it, esp. with the Q701s on hand.  If they don't change much, someone may get a really nice deal on a nicely broken-in pair, with a custom cable thrown in for good measure 
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #7,895 of 9,602

Funny thing is, I've got both pads, and they both touch to some degree.  The K712 pads do it more, which may be due to compression of the memory foam, the fact they're not angled, and the thicker wool felt rings I'm using.  The Q701 pads touch slightly if I'm using the wool felt, but being stiffer they compress less.

I need to do more pad swapping between the two cans.  My recollection of a very brief swap was that the Q701 pads made the K712s even brighter, which is a serious no-go for now.  If burn-in mellows them out a little, the Q pads might work better.  I think the pads are affecting the sound stage, too, but again, more testing needs to be done.

I'm just looking for a decent pair of dynamic cans for cheap.  Not sure the K712s are it, esp. with the Q701s on hand.  If they don't change much, someone may get a really nice deal on a nicely broken-in pair, with a custom cable thrown in for good measure 
wink.gif

I'm really looking forward to your comparison. I am surprised you found the K712's "even brighter" than the Q701 as I thought the former were ostensibly darker than the latter. 

What about this hole that you feel the K712's exposed in the Q701, and why wouldn't that be enough for you to keep the K712? 

Thank you!

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #7,896 of 9,602
  I'm really looking forward to your comparison. I am surprised you found the K712's "even brighter" than the Q701 as I thought the former were ostensibly darker than the latter. 

What about this hole that you feel the K712's exposed in the Q701, and why wouldn't that be enough for you to keep the K712? 

Thank you!

Trust me, I was surprised, too.  I picked them up because I thought they'd be a bit mellower in that pesky frequency range.  As you probably saw in the K712 thread, my suspicion is it's down to time used.  The only way I can confirm or rescind that is to put a lot of hours on them.  The K712s are now my official burn-in cans 
wink.gif

As to the sound stages, that will require some more focused comparisons.  Thus far I've just been getting a feel for them and how they respond to the two mods I like to use, not mention pad swapping.  I'm also making a custom, Halloween themed cable to go with the K712s.  I really wanted to match that coppery burnt orange color, but "International Orange" was the closest I could get.  Maybe it won't look too cheesy once its braided, but just looking at that paracord hanging next to the two black strands, Halloween is all I can think of.

One thing I'm fairly certain of: the K712 pads on bass port-modded Q701s (at least my seemingly warmed up pair) is really too much.  tdock and others had reached that conclusion or held that suspicion.  For now they're nice on the K712s with that mod, whereas the Q701 pads on the K712s demand EQing for pretty much everything, and even that is not always enough depending on the music.

I'm pretty much stuck with the Q701s, given the toll modding has taken.  I'd rather keep them than sell for $75.  The K712s could still fetch enough to fund the Fidelio X2, which is very much on my mind.  Having two AKGs so similarly voiced may be overkill.  Only time will tell, of course, and since Philips is dawdling on the US release, I've got time to burn (in :wink:

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #7,897 of 9,602
Oct 14, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #7,900 of 9,602
Worth a bump though still, people need to get a pair :D

The bonus is you can line a layer of foam between headband and wool cover too for even more comfort. You know that foam you often get in computer hardware boxes?

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #7,901 of 9,602
I actually just received mine. Took almost a month to arrive but it is awesome and I highly endorse grabbing one. The black looks really nice as well.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #7,905 of 9,602
I got the black mostly decided to get them for gaming.  I haven't picked up my HD-650s since I got the Q701s....That's what I hate about owning so many headphones, some just don't get all the attention they deserve.  I'll probably use them more when I'm practicing bass guitar.

I thought they'd be a lot better for gaming, don't get me wrong they are good but not a huge jump from the headphones I've tried before.  But I do like the balanced neutral sound signature.  Now I just need to buy a shorter cable, don't know what AKG thought when they included "Super Jumbo" and "...we bought way too much of this green cable.....just just give em a 20ft cable.....why not."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back