Q701 impressions thread
Jul 27, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #7,396 of 9,602

Persons such as you who spell it "colour" are ALWAYS more likely to be right than people like me who spell it "color."

So I yield the argument to you!

+1 for canadians.
  I have posted this before, but by far the most comfortable thing I have tried is the pilot pad  over the stock torture device. I experimented with my first pair endlessly until I found the pilot pad that simply uses Velcro to attach and is almost too comfortable.

*older photo, the J-money pads have been replaced with Shure Alcantara pads (also fantastic on these).

It's 28 degrees celsius in my house. Just looking at that makes me sweat a bit more @_@

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #7,397 of 9,602
  Faux leather but yes pretty much exactly that! It's easy to stitch but takes some time as it's fiddly and tedious and you will need a thimble and pliers lol as it's quite stiff getting the needle threaded through.

I'll replace the entire headband once this shows signs of age with a single piece of double folded calf leather I think, make it more flexible and comfortable. I'll have to use my own buckles on each end to hold it on as the AKG buckles are perma fixed so will need to be broken off.

mrk you mind show us which blade you use to cut out those bumps?
and you said you might replace the entire headband because it is still giving you comfort issues?
my Q701 has been on a clamp release post and so far it shows no sign of clamping less.
so those 0.5cm bump needs to be gone for sure.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #7,398 of 9,602
and you said you might replace the entire headband because it is still giving you comfort issues?
my Q701 has been on a clamp release post and so far it shows no sign of clamping less.
so those 0.5cm bump needs to be gone for sure.

Oh it's just a Stanley knife, your usual craft blade you can get everywhere! Just hack the bumps off like a junior hacksaw.

Yeah the headband has a piece of plastic inside it so is still nowhere near as comfortable as say the Fidelio X1 headband so in time I'm going to rip off the AKG headband and replace it with a custom cut piece of double folded calf leather which will be flexible and perfect.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #7,399 of 9,602
Just a voice in the wilderness to remind everybody that there are some of us who are not the least bit bothered by the headphone bumps. I own two Q701s. Never been an issue for me and my head with thinning hair.

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7,400 of 9,602

And I could argue that white, since it contains the full spectrum of visible light information, should be the most natural and full sounding version. Plus, aesthetically speaking as a graphic designer, the white has a pleasing contrast that attracts the eye while engaging the left-hemisphere of the brain, and a pattern (with green as a close second) that invokes a visual rhythm that engages the right-hemisphere of the brain.

I also like that the contrast accentuates the form and different sections of the earcup, verily I think the white Q701 (with tasteful green accents for a little visual "zest") is the most whole-headphone cohesive color scheme of AKG's top of the line, more attractive than the K712 which seems to be lacking one more orange circle for that sense of rhythm and cohesion.

Here is my headband solution (from Babies R Us, it's a seatbelt cover/sleeve) and my favourite headphone stand:

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #7,401 of 9,602

And I could argue that white, since it contains the full spectrum of visible light information, should be the most natural and full sounding version. Plus, aesthetically speaking as a graphic designer, the white has a pleasing contrast that attracts the eye while engaging the left-hemisphere of the brain, and a pattern (with green as a close second) that invokes a visual rhythm that engages the right-hemisphere of the brain.

I also like that the contrast accentuates the form and different sections of the earcup, verily I think the white Q701 (with tasteful green accents for a little visual "zest") is the most whole-headphone cohesive color scheme of AKG's top of the line, more attractive than the K712 which seems to be lacking one more orange circle for that sense of rhythm and cohesion.

Here is my headband solution (from Babies R Us, it's a seatbelt cover/sleeve) and my favourite headphone stand:

nice headphone stand bud.
and the color matches the headphone too.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #7,402 of 9,602
Just a voice in the wilderness to remind everybody that there are some of us who are not the least bit bothered by the headphone bumps. I own two Q701s. Never been an issue for me and my head with thinning hair.

Ditto.  I think it's important to maintain a little balance in this thread so we're not scaring off any noobies.  All this talk of hacking and taping and modding... it's really not all that necessary for most folks.  A simple pad will take care of any discomfort you may or may not feel.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #7,403 of 9,602
Ditto.  I think it's important to maintain a little balance in this thread so we're not scaring off any noobies.  All this talk of hacking and taping and modding... it's really not all that necessary for most folks.  A simple pad will take care of any discomfort you may or may not feel.

Yep, for sure. I actually only pictured my knife as a joke: I still have the bumps on my headband. I only use a little padding, as you can see from my picture I don't have much "natural" padding, lol.

Most people, who only listen to headphones for about an hour, will probably not feel discomfort (and better protect their hearing), and for them the bumps may actually provide the intended benefit of not matting down hair completely and creating a hot spot. I personally tend to wear headphones while gaming, watching video (Netflix/movies), or reading, and I enjoy losing track of time while not having the headphones call attention to themselves.

The Q701 really is a bargain though, sporting the detachable cable feature lacking from the K612 and K701 (and too many other headphones), and a liquid immediacy combined with soundstage that seems like magic to come from two earcups resting on your head. I did buy K712's too, but that was because nothing else had come along to do what I wanted except what AKG was doing, and when I put the Q701's back on I feel sheepish about the price difference vs slight refinement. This headphone is an amazing value: as close to a giant-killer as I've ever experienced in this hobby that I've felt simply out-performed headphones costing twice as much or more.

Jul 28, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #7,404 of 9,602
Anyone having a problem with the comfort could also try out this:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3542

It fits perfectly and is self adhesive but doesn't stick harder than that you can remove it if necessary.

I've got no problem with the bumps myself but I've got a very small head so I think they fit better with the added padding.

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #7,405 of 9,602
Anyone having a problem with the comfort could also try out this:
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3542

It fits perfectly and is self adhesive but doesn't stick harder than that you can remove it if necessary.

I've got no problem with the bumps myself but I've got a very small head so I think they fit better with the added padding.

Thanks peter123 
wink_face.gif

ebay sells them as well for $5. Search for: Headband Cushion Pad for Sennheiser HD515 HD555 HD595 HD518

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #7,407 of 9,602
  It's not a showstopper for me. After about an hour I find the headband does indeed get uncomfortable, but I just rotate the headphone slightly forward or backward and then I'm good for the next hour!

Yea, that got annoying for me so I just put foam on the top

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #7,408 of 9,602
Hello fellow head-fiers!, I need some advice please.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have just purchased a Q701 and am running it from my computer using a Xonar DX sound card. However the highs do sometimes sound a little ear-piercing. I've heard that amplification is a must for these headphones. What setup could I run to get them sounding better for under $200, hopefully also utilizing the sound card (that I just bought)? Would it make a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance to the kind souls

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #7,409 of 9,602
Hello fellow head-fiers!, I need some advice please. :)

I have just purchased a Q701 and am running it from my computer using a Xonar DX sound card. However the highs do sometimes sound a little ear-piercing. I've heard that amplification is a must for these headphones. What setup could I run to get them sounding better for under $200, hopefully also utilizing the sound card (that I just bought)? Would it make a significant improvement?

Thanks in advance to the kind souls

Why not get an O2 amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back