Q701 impressions thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7,337 of 9,602
  Hi all

I have just received Q701s China made.. I have an issue with them, when there is any low bass even at moderate listening levels there is low vibration/hum from the left ear cup. It's not something you can ignore as it ruins tracks. Can anyone offer some advise on what action to take to rectify the problem or should I just RMA.

Thanks

Make sure there's no hair in the driver, otherwise send them back. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #7,338 of 9,602
  So it's common for the Q701 to emit low vibration when any low frequencies hit? and just in the one driver.

She wasn't responding to you.  No, it's not common.  There's likely something wrong.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #7,339 of 9,602
They can't really do dubstep tbh. 

Perform the bass mod and then add a little extra bass with some EQ. I did the bass mod and I add 3db centered at 30hz with a Q of 1. It adds a bit extra sub bass and brings the bass to just north of neutral.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #7,340 of 9,602

Perform the bass mod and then add a little extra bass with some EQ. I did the bass mod and I add 3db centered at 30hz with a Q of 1. It adds a bit extra sub bass and brings the bass to just north of neutral.

It's not the bass it's the treble, this headphone just sounds overall thin compared to others. 

I feel like the X1 would suit him better. Top hits and dubstep isn't usually the best source

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #7,341 of 9,602
  Hi all

I have just received Q701s China made.. I have an issue with them, when there is any low bass even at moderate listening levels there is low vibration/hum from the left ear cup. It's not something you can ignore as it ruins tracks. Can anyone offer some advise on what action to take to rectify the problem or should I just RMA.

Thanks

Definitely shouldn't be doing that.  I just did a variation of the bass port mod for the... seventh(?) time (back to foam strips over the ports
biggrin.gif
), and one of the screws is starting to get loose (stripped plastic threading), and I've already replaced one on the other cup... and I've been testing bassy tracks as loud as I care to.  And even with all that, no rattle and hum (U2 joke intended).

It should be easy to check for a hair.  Just twist off the pads and inspect.  Hopefully that's all it is.  If you can't find and solve the problem, or are uncomfortable with a little minor DIY, then definitely exchange them.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since I just shipped my defective HE-500s back for an exchange (getting the HE-560s 
L3000.gif
), I'm back to using the Qs for the duration.  With the felt ring and foam port mods, I'm seriously loving these again, after a bit of a lapse.  Well-produced, dynamic stuff like Steely Dan really shines in/on this big stage.  With this sound, they punch well above their price.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #7,343 of 9,602

oh :/ Well they are still going to be better than my broken, only 1 sided works samsung earbuds and my corsair sweat monster 1300 headset. How are they for the top hit stuff(Not sure what they are called...)?
It really depends on the recording. You need an amp with these too, as well as music with properly encoded at least 256kbps or above. Anything under 256 sounds horrid.

Bass on these phones is a bass you can hear but not really feel (unmodded of course).

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #7,344 of 9,602
  I feel like the X1 would suit him better. Top hits and dubstep isn't usually the best source

They would. A lot of people compare the Q701 to the X1 (the former is less bassy), and while I wouldn't go that far, I can see why. I'd say the Qs have better treble and the X1s have better bass, but they're both pretty neutral to my ears in spite of their slants.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #7,345 of 9,602
It's not the bass it's the treble, this headphone just sounds overall thin compared to others. 

Again, they can be EQ'ed to fix that as well. I have a PEQ with infinite number of bands and with the Q701 I'm perfectly content with only using 4 PEQ bands to make these sound perfect for my taste.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #7,346 of 9,602
It really depends on the recording. You need an amp with these too, as well as music with properly encoded at least 256kbps or above. Anything under 256 sounds horrid.

Bass on these phones is a bass you can hear but not really feel (unmodded of course).

Well I was planning on running these off my motherboard, it says it has a build in amp that can drive up to 600ohm headphones. Should I invest in a amp/dac or just use my motherboard? 

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #7,347 of 9,602
I wish AKG would sort the headband, at least for future purchases. There's really no excuse for putting so many people through the lottery of comfort. Headphones should disappear and music should take over.

Jul 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #7,349 of 9,602
I wish AKG would sort the headband, at least for future purchases. There's really no excuse for putting so many people through the lottery of comfort. Headphones should disappear and music should take over.

Someone brought up a point earlier about other AKG headphones like newer K702s and the K612s/K712s not having bumps on their headband, which explains the lower price of the Q701s.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #7,350 of 9,602

really want to try flipping the stock headband upside down.
but it looks like it will required a separate screwing units to go through the holes once you take them off.
sort of like a permanent damage too because of the need of new screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back