Q701 impressions thread
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #7,186 of 9,602
  I've seen the banana hanger paired with the Sennheiser hh10 online somewhere(Can't seem to find the picture now) as well and it seemed to be awesome. I'm pretty happy with how good this thing works as a headphone stand for so little money.

The bumps didn't hurt me in the beginning and I was wondering why everyone was complaining so much about them aaaaaaand then I cut my hair XD... Can't wear it for long now without a headache, real happy with this wool headband cover.

Btw I've been following your insightful posts here and the site that must not be named
wink.gif
 about the Audio gd 15.32 with the q701 and I already have the itch to try it out!

Well you've got the Modi/Vali already which is supposed to be great.  I honestly don't know if it'll be much of a significant upgrade, but I suppose if you sell the Schiit stuff, and find a used 15.32, you won't be paying too much for it.  And of course trying new things is how you get enough knowledge to make helpful posts.  If you can afford it, it'll be an educational experience if nothing else.

Jul 15, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #7,187 of 9,602
I ordered it on the 21st of June and received it on the 14th of July(Yesterday) so it did take quite a bit of time for me to receive it.

The stand is a wooden banana hanger. I cut two v-shaped grooves for the headband to sit in place. :D  
It looked like a banana stand but I wasn't 100 percent sure. Good idea to cut the grooves, I might have to try that. I ordered the headband last week, hopefully I don't have to wait too long cause these bumps are killing me.

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #7,188 of 9,602
  Well you've got the Modi/Vali already which is supposed to be great.  I honestly don't know if it'll be much of a significant upgrade, but I suppose if you sell the Schiit stuff, and find a used 15.32, you won't be paying too much for it.  And of course trying new things is how you get enough knowledge to make helpful posts.  If you can afford it, it'll be an educational experience if nothing else.

I do like the Vali but I I'm not quite satisfied with the Modi (EQuing my Asus g750 to the sound signature of the Modi/vali stack, the sound is quite close with a nod to the Modi/Vali stack. Even though the stack is better it isn't the upgrade I was hoping for, but to be fair the Asus G750 with a slight eq does sound reasonably nice and its got a powerful amp).
Even with the tinge of warmth the Vali gives the Modi/Vali stack it is still very close to neutral and transparent and I am interested in the 15.32 for a smoother, warmer sound paired with the Q701
k701smile.gif
. I might sell my Schiit stack, I've been hearing good things about Audio gd's stuff.
It looked like a banana stand but I wasn't 100 percent sure. Good idea to cut the grooves, I might have to try that. I ordered the headband last week, hopefully I don't have to wait too long cause these bumps are killing me.

The wait wasn't easy for me too, I survived by making a makeshift turban out of an old t-shirt .....well it wasn't really a like a turban, I just stuffed the t-shirt between my head and the headband and I looked ridiculous 
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #7,189 of 9,602

You could also do what Still and I did, go to a Babies R Us or similar and buy a fuzzy pair of baby seatbelt covers. I have one on my Q701, and I even put one on my flat headband K712! My hair isn't cut, but... it's definitely thinning! And my hair's always been fine/soft.

Jul 16, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #7,193 of 9,602
  I do like the Vali but I I'm not quite satisfied with the Modi (EQuing my Asus g750 to the sound signature of the Modi/vali stack, the sound is quite close with a nod to the Modi/Vali stack. Even though the stack is better it isn't the upgrade I was hoping for, but to be fair the Asus G750 with a slight eq does sound reasonably nice and its got a powerful amp).
Even with the tinge of warmth the Vali gives the Modi/Vali stack it is still very close to neutral and transparent and I am interested in the 15.32 for a smoother, warmer sound paired with the Q701
k701smile.gif
. I might sell my Schiit stack, I've been hearing good things about Audio gd's stuff.

Well I can definitively say the Audio-GD DAC is better than the Modi.  I haven't heard the Vali so I can't say how the amps will compare.  The 15.32 is definitely on the warmer side so it will likely give you what you're looking for.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #7,194 of 9,602
Now my Q701s are in the mail and on their way, I have now bought myself the NFB 15 DAC/AMP, which I'm going to be using to drive my Q701s - once I receive them... And so far I have been very impressed with my DAC choice!

Until now I've been using the Cambridge 550a stereo integrated amp, which drives dynaudioAcoustic speakers, and had my Xbox 360 hooked up via the AV component directly into the back of the Cambridge. 

However, after receiving my NFB 15, the first thing I did was link it to my Xbox - using the optical option - and then routed the NFB 15 via the RCA DAC out to the Cambridge 550a. 

What can I say... The sound I am now hearing is completely transformed by using the NFB 15 DAC instead of the Xbox 360 DAC. I mean, honestly, I'm not exaggerating here - it is a drastic improvement!

My initial intention was - and still is - to plug my Q701s directly into the NFB 15. I have little doubt that the Q701s will sound amazing this way, but also having realised just how amazing the Cambridge 550a sounds when fed by a NFB 15 DAC signal, I'm now actually wondering whether the Q701s would sound equally amazing out of the Cambridge 550a headphone jack (as opposed to the the NFC 15 headphone jack)?

I can't wait to find out for myself once I finally receive the Q701s, but maybe someone can give me a heads-up?

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #7,195 of 9,602
  Now my Q701s are in the mail and on their way, I have now bought myself the NFB 15 DAC/AMP, which I'm going to be using to drive my Q701s - once I receive them... And so far I have been very impressed with my DAC choice!

Until now I've been using the Cambridge 550a stereo integrated amp, which drives dynaudioAcoustic speakers, and had my Xbox 360 hooked up via the AV component directly into the back of the Cambridge. 

However, after receiving my NFB 15, the first thing I did was link it to my Xbox - using the optical option - and then routed the NFB 15 via the RCA DAC out to the Cambridge 550a. 

What can I say... The sound I am now hearing is completely transformed by using the NFB 15 DAC instead of the Xbox 360 DAC. I mean, honestly, I'm not exaggerating here - it is a drastic improvement!

My initial intention was - and still is - to plug my Q701s directly into the NFB 15. I have little doubt that the Q701s will sound amazing this way, but also having realised just how amazing the Cambridge 550a sounds when fed by a NFB 15 DAC signal, I'm now actually wondering whether the Q701s would sound equally amazing out of the Cambridge 550a headphone jack (as opposed to the the NFC 15 headphone jack)?

I can't wait to find out for myself once I finally receive the Q701s, but maybe someone can give me a heads-up?

Technically, the NFB-15 is a very good DAC that happens to come with a pretty good headphone amp.  Given that, I am not surprised that your sound improved drastically.  How will the integrated amp compare?  I couldn't say, as I've never tried comparing.  Some stereos really neuter their headphone ports, some do not.  It could go either way, I suppose.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #7,196 of 9,602
Hi guys,

I'm primarily a competitive gamer and have been using the AD700 with Titanium HD for many years. I've been looking into an upgrade and decided on the Q701.

So far only the aesthetics are an upgrade for me. The headband is too hard and hurts my head. And neither gaming nor music seem better with the Q701. The AD700's just seem clearer, more open and natural. While the Q701 sounds more compressed, and closer to what I'd expect from a closed headphone.

I've read mostly agreement that the TiHD is not enough to power these headphones. But how much of a difference could I expect from adding a magni?

I've read that some people used a razor to slice the bumps off the headband and that improved the comfort. I might be willing to do that if these end up sounding like an all around upgrade from the AD700's.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #7,197 of 9,602
  Hi guys,

I'm primarily a competitive gamer and have been using the AD700 with Titanium HD for many years. I've been looking into an upgrade and decided on the Q701.

So far only the aesthetics are an upgrade for me. The headband is too hard and hurts my head. And neither gaming nor music seem better with the Q701. The AD700's just seem clearer, more open and natural. While the Q701 sounds more compressed, and closer to what I'd expect from a closed headphone.

I've read mostly agreement that the TiHD is not enough to power these headphones. But how much of a difference could I expect from adding a magni?

I've read that some people used a razor to slice the bumps off the headband and that improved the comfort. I might be willing to do that if these end up sounding like an all around upgrade from the AD700's.

Get an amp, and use foam and attach it to the headband, cut off the bumps, or buy something on eBay made for headphone headbands. 

Q701's can compete with my HD650's on certain genres of music.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #7,198 of 9,602
Hi guys,

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005202U/
I find this foam tape to be really soft and comfortable. Best of all, it doesn't damage your headphones if you ever want to sell it in the future.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #7,199 of 9,602
  Hi guys,

I am a very passionate gamer and play mainly first person shooters, I too own a Q701 and a Xfi Titanium HD. The Titanium does not have sufficient power to drive the Q701 directly. You will need an amplifier for sure and the change will be almost night and day. Highly recommended amps with high synergy with the Q701s on this thread are the Matrix M-Stage headphone amp (new $225 on ebay, used around $150-$180 if it does pop up) and the Audio-GD NFB 15.32 (new $250). I personally use an O2 Amp which I paid $120 for and it does the job sufficiently enough, upgrading soon though.
You should also consider doing the bass mod (http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/60#post_10148238) as in-game explosions sound very weak without the mod.

Jul 16, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #7,200 of 9,602

Hi guys,

I am a very passionate gamer and play mainly first person shooters, I too own a Q701 and a Xfi Titanium HD. The Titanium does not have sufficient power to drive the Q701 directly. You will need an amplifier for sure and the change will be almost night and day. Highly recommended amps with high synergy with the Q701s on this thread are the Matrix M-Stage headphone amp (new $225 on ebay, used around $150-$180 if it does pop up) and the Audio-GD NFB 15.32 (new $250). I personally use an O2 Amp which I paid $120 for and it does the job sufficiently enough, upgrading soon though.
You should also consider doing the bass mod (http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod/60#post_10148238) as in-game explosions sound very weak without the mod.

Thanks for link on the tape.. it will probably be better than what i have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back