Q701 impressions thread
May 4, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #6,706 of 9,602
If you don't like them now with four days solid on them you likely never will. I found burn-in to be of limited effect on the Q's to be honest.

May 4, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #6,707 of 9,602
If you don't like them now with four days solid on them you likely never will. I found burn-in to be of limited effect on the Q's to be honest.

Er, I didn't hear any difference...
redface.gif

May 4, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #6,708 of 9,602
Er, I didn't hear any difference...:xf_eek:

And it's not because I don't believe in burn-in because I do. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's to prove it.

:)

May 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6,709 of 9,602
While I'm sure the E09K is a decent amp, I suspect some of the restriction you hear would go away with a better amp.  For instance, when I upgraded from my SB Omni (sound card) to my Matrix M-Stage, there was a definite difference that really brought out the detail and control. 

Which DIY amp are you looking at?  Bottlehead Crack?  Project Sunrise?

May 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,713 of 9,602
Tried listening to my Q701 last night for the first time in a long time. I enjoy my near field speaker rig sooooo much more. 

May 5, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #6,714 of 9,602
  Tried listening to my Q701 last night for the first time in a long time. I enjoy my near field speaker rig sooooo much more. 

Specify! Other people might wanna try it! :D

I keep enjoying the Q's. They don't stop surprising me, although lately I eq' them even after the mod, in the search for a little bit of extra subbass.

Hey guys i got a question, do the new q701's have the bumbs on the headband? TY

Cut them off!! You can get the Q's for around 100 bucks right now, man! (Used, of course, but... so what!)

May 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #6,715 of 9,602
Hey guys i got a question, do the new q701's have the bumbs on the headband? TY

You know by now that the answer is yes (8 bumps). This is a YMMV issue.  Some of us do not mind the bumps at all.  I am bald (more or less) and still am not bothered by the bumps.  Admittedly, I never listen to more than one CD or so before taking a break. 

May 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6,716 of 9,602
Hay Q folks!  Have any of you tried pairing the Q with the Audio-GD NFB 15.32?  I've been looking for a decent optical DAC and someone suggested getting the 15.32, which has an optical DAC and a nice amp, and replacing the Matrix M-Stage.  I was wondering how the two compare, how the 15.32 pairs with the Q, etc etc.

May 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #6,717 of 9,602

You know by now that the answer is yes (8 bumps). This is a YMMV issue.  Some of us do not mind the bumps at all.  I am bald (more or less) and still am not bothered by the bumps.  Admittedly, I never listen to more than one CD or so before taking a break.

While not bald, I am balding in the areas where the bumps are and they have never bothered me. I almost did not buy the Q701 because of all the posts regarding the discomfort of the headband. The headband has never bothered me a bit even after a few hours of listening (although admittedly I am usually not listening for more than 1 hour at a time). Also, the Q701s are one of the only cans where my glass frames are not completely immobilized by clamping pressure. I can move and adjust my glasses a bit without removing the cans. For me, these are amongst the most comfortable cans, although the Beyer 880s also seemed very comfy when I have tried them.

I have not been listening to headphones much of late (except portable to and from work) as most of my free evening time has been spent playing guitar. But I listened to the Q701s last night for the first time in quite a while and they sounded just about perfect when I fired up a couple of Brad Paisley discs.  Sometimes I find the bass just a little too lean (my only minor complaint), but with those discs everything was perfect.

May 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #6,718 of 9,602
Just an FYI, I demo'ed the K612 and it's flat headband, I felt no discomfort from that. Maybe slightly less air, but a great deal. Also felt slightly lighter than the Q701.

I still like the Q, I have sooooo many hours on it, but the K612 is 99.8% similar sounding and a fair bit less expensive.

May 6, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #6,719 of 9,602
  Hay Q folks!  Have any of you tried pairing the Q with the Audio-GD NFB 15.32?  I've been looking for a decent optical DAC and someone suggested getting the 15.32, which has an optical DAC and a nice amp, and replacing the Matrix M-Stage.  I was wondering how the two compare, how the 15.32 pairs with the Q, etc etc.

The DAC will be fine, but don't get rid of the M-Stage just yet - IMO it works better with the Qs then most a-gd amps. 
Your preferences may be different, but do yourself a favour and compare them before you ditch the M-Stage.

May 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #6,720 of 9,602

The DAC will be fine, but don't get rid of the M-Stage just yet - IMO it works better with the Qs then most a-gd amps.
Your preferences may be different, but do yourself a favour and compare them before you ditch the M-Stage.

Yeah, I'd definitely give it a try before getting rid of the M-stage, but I don't know that I'd keep the Audio-GD at that price just for the DAC.  I've read that the M-stage and the 15.x have similar amount of power, so I guess it'd be down to the opamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back