Q701 impressions thread
May 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #6,736 of 9,602
  Used my q701s after using the dt 990s for a month or so. MY GOSH THE SOUNDSTAGE! Lets see how they hold up to he 400 that are on the way!
For now the q701s are my go to cans for all types of music except EDM. They sound beautiful with female vocals in indian songs.

Q701 is very different from HE400.  While I don't own the HE400 I like it quite a bit, especially for its price point, but not quite enough to own. It would not surprise me if Q701 fans generally don't like HE400 and vice versa although I happen to like them both (but find the Q701 more versatile, at least for my taste).  Hope you enjoy them. Oh, I see you don't use the Q701 for EDM; the HE 400 should be quite good for that music.

May 8, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #6,737 of 9,602
The Q701 and HE-400 are almost polar opposites. The mids of the latter is weird due to the cold upper mids. They are great for bass heavy electronic music, not really great with anything else. I don't listen to a lot of that kind of music which is why I no longer own it.

May 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #6,738 of 9,602
I own both and I find that they complement each other nicely.  Having owned it first, I grew accustomed to the Q701 signature, so the recessed upper mids and piercing treble of the HE-400 out of the box was jarring. After picking up velours and tinkering with the EQ though, they really smooth out and I actually prefer them with most genres.  I still grab my Q701's for acoustic, classical, and live performances from time to time, but I've grown to really like the less-grainy presentation of the HE-400's otherwise.  Both are great headphones though and I can't really see myself selling either in the future any time soon.  

May 8, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #6,739 of 9,602
Got the he 400 yesterday and i have to agree that they do complement each other well. I use the q701 for almost everything except rap, hip hop and EDM. The he 400 fits the need for those genres. They are a league above the dt 990 in almost all aspects. I think i will sell my dt 990 

May 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #6,740 of 9,602
i compared my friend's Beyer T1 and the Q701 side by side on a same track, and I found that I have more "like" points on the Q701 than of T1, and I ain't afraid to show it! show it!

1. weight of Q701 is way lighter on the head
2. T1 has a lack of bass, a little light for my taste
3. Q701 is driven better than T1, which is what headphones are all about, drivability on curent rig and not crazily chasing upgrades just because of the headphone, BE SATISFIED PEOPLE!!!
4. comfort wise, Q701 traps less heat within the foams than T1, but the T1's pad is soft 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #6,741 of 9,602
  i compared my friend's Beyer T1 and the Q701 side by side on a same track, and I found that I have more "like" points on the Q701 than of T1, and I ain't afraid to show it! show it!

1. weight of Q701 is way lighter on the head
2. T1 has a lack of bass, a little light for my taste
3. Q701 is driven better than T1, which is what headphones are all about, drivability on curent rig and not crazily chasing upgrades just because of the headphone, BE SATISFIED PEOPLE!!!
4. comfort wise, Q701 traps less heat within the foams than T1, but the T1's pad is soft 
biggrin.gif

The Q701 is lighter, that is a fact. But if you found the Q701 to have more bass than the T1, that would be only because of the amp's lack of power. The T1's impedance reaches 1,400ohm at 80hz, so you would need an amp capable to power it sufficiently in order to bring up the bass. 

Comfort-wise, I would say the Q701 is on the same level as the T1 because: More spacious ear cups and lighter. The headband bumps are killing me though.

May 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #6,742 of 9,602
This will do for now.. 

Piece of foam folded in half.. pretty thick and have to have the headband all the way to the max but it's so comfy there's no way I can go back. 

May 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #6,743 of 9,602
  This will do for now.. 

Piece of foam folded in half.. pretty thick and have to have the headband all the way to the max but it's so comfy there's no way I can go back. 

Hello.  I fixed it using an old HD 580 cushion headband with double side tape.  Perfect!!!

May 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #6,744 of 9,602

This will do for now.. 

Hello.  I fixed it using an old HD 580 cushion headband with double side tape.  Perfect!!!

I think I have double sided tape.. that works much better lol. 

May 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #6,746 of 9,602
  Leather pilot pad over that bumpy monstrosity makes them comfortable.

Eff the headband, tell me about those pads.  Brainwavz HM5s, or something fancier?  And how did you attach them?

May 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #6,748 of 9,602

Eff the headband, tell me about those pads.  Brainwavz HM5s, or something fancier?  And how did you attach them?

J-money Beyers, cannibalized a pair of stock pads for the plastic  mounting ring. They sound better then the stock pads, but the anniversary pads are the best to my ears, but the leather is the comfort king.

May 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #6,750 of 9,602
J-money Beyers, cannibalized a pair of stock pads for the plastic  mounting ring. They sound better then the stock pads, but the anniversary pads are the best to my ears, but the leather is the comfort king.

Thanks.  I really like the stock pads, and use them on my HE-500s.  Easily the best for me with those cans, having tried six different pads.  Can you be more specific about how they're better than the stock pads with the Qs?  I didn't like the Annies at all, but they were really comfortable.  Are you using the bass port mod?  I'm thinking I might try them again, esp. now that my rig is far better than when I tested them.

re: leather, is your usual listening environment relatively cool, temperature-wise?  Mine is not, unfortunately, so pleather is unpleasant.  I'll have a look around for the J-moneys.

TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back