Q701 impressions thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #6,466 of 9,602
Sorry, sorry, I've only just realised you're all talking about me. That Belkin UPS hasn't been in my system for probably 3 years. My bad. I still have it, somewhere. I suspect my treble problem is exactly that, my problem. Since I applied the EQ all is well with the world although there's still a strident quality with the Q which, whilst good when you're in the mood, is damned annoying when I'm not.

I've decided to fix it by buying the HD650's. They should be here on Wednesday or Thursday. It's like the ultimate EQ, just buy different cans for different music & moods. Expensive way to go about it though.

Hope you enjoy them.  I gave them a try, and while I enjoyed the different sound signature with some stuff (and less with other stuff), I couldn't deal with the pads.  I must have funny ears.  You can always sell them if they don't work out, or if your wife starts giving you the evil eye, or throwing frying pans at ya 
wink.gif
  I got rid of mine pretty easily, though took a bit of a bath, as I was impatient to unload them and buy my Bifrost 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #6,467 of 9,602
Is the Bifrost a DAC? That's going to be my next upgrade maybe. But first I need to earn some money. In the last two months I've bought 3 pairs of headphones, 2 amps & 2 DAC's.

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #6,468 of 9,602
Is the Bifrost a DAC? That's going to be my next upgrade maybe. But first I need to earn some money. In the last two months I've bought 3 pairs of headphones, 2 amps & 2 DAC's.

Yep, it's supposed to be a pretty good one too.  I totally want one, but I am holding out for a cheaper Schiit one that should be coming out "soon"...

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #6,470 of 9,602
Many years ago when I first joined I used to laugh at the tag "sorry for your wallet". I don't laugh any more.

Actually, our city council gives aid to addicts... I wonder... Hmm...

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #6,472 of 9,602
Many years ago when I first joined I used to laugh at the tag "sorry for your wallet". I don't laugh any more.

Actually, our city council gives aid to addicts... I wonder... Hmm...

What's the head-fi equivalent of methadone?  Beats?

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #6,473 of 9,602
Hilarious.  Yep, we're addicts.  @Zorrofox just have your wife testify that you are, indeed, an addict.  Oh yeah, sorry for your wallet 
wink.gif

The Bifrost Uber is an excellent DAC.  The USB option adds a bit to the price, but totally worth it if you're using a PC that doesn't have another digital out.  I don't have much with which to compare it, but for me, I'm done.  I'm totally mid-fi, and proud of it!  That said, it's probably worth your while to wait for the new Schiit.  They've got some DAC guru working for them (name escapes me, but it's easily found).

Enjoy what you have for a while.

Apr 8, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #6,474 of 9,602
  I think my right driver might be damaged somehow, I think I'm hearing some static in some very high/low frequencies. Is there any way to test if this?

So I posted this two weeks ago but I've finally had time to confirm it. I'm definitely getting some bass "rattle" in my right ear that doesn't happen with my other headphones. Where do I go from here? I've done the bass port mod if that's relevant. 

Setup is: PC -> ODAC -> Bravo V3 -> Q701

EDIT: AKG/Harmon customer support: never again. Worst customer support experience I've ever had.

Does AKG have any US based support for the Q701? I tried calling their USA help desk #, the guy was happy to help when he thought I was talking about the K701, but when I confirmed that it was the Q701 he told me to call an (absolutely horrible) indian call center. 

Apr 9, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #6,478 of 9,602
Apr 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #6,480 of 9,602
Well my Matrix M-stage HPA-1 just arrived today!  I have no real point of reference for comparison as this is my first headphone amp.  Previously, I was running right out of my Sound Blaster Omni (and Recon before that).  Now I'm using the DAC on the Omni and RCA outs to the amp.  So far so good.

It's hard to explain the effect.  Things feel... less watered down?  More present?  It sounds like this is the way the headphones were meant to be heard.  I don't have much experience describing this stuff so I'm struggling.  Soundstage feels more defined, but I think that because the instruments just feel bigger/fuller now.

Even the bass feels better, more present but still nice and controlled.  I'm really really digging this!

The other thing I'm noticing is that super subtle things like fake record needle noises are more obvious.  I actually really don't like that fake vintage sound on these really clean and detailed headphones. 

Anyhow, thumbs up for now!  I can't wait to work my way through some of my regular albums to put this thing through its paces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back