Q701 impressions thread
Mar 19, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #6,031 of 9,602
This isn't entirely o/t but what would be the best way to get sound from my Mac mini to my Q701's? USB or is there a better way?

Mar 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #6,032 of 9,602

I've never heard of tubes :D
Probably would never get into them since the good ones are supposedly $400+ @_@

No need to spend that much money on tube amps try Little Dot 1 with 6SL7/6SN7/12SN7 tubes for your Q701.search this(Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide) thread to see how flexible this LD 1, LD MK II, MK III, MK IV/IV SE.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #6,034 of 9,602
That Schiit Vali looks good. Do you think the Modi would pair well with it? I know sound is the most important factor but I do like the Schiit aesthetic, especially since I have a Mac mini and Panasonic TV all sharing the same finish.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #6,035 of 9,602
That Schiit Vali looks good. Do you think the Modi would pair well with it? I know sound is the most important factor but I do like the Schiit aesthetic, especially since I have a Mac mini and Panasonic TV all sharing the same finish.

A lot of people have given praise to that Schiit stack (Modi + Vali). The AKG X70x seem to have good synergy with the Vali as well.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #6,036 of 9,602
I've wanted to give Schiit some money ever since they started out because I really like their company ethos. The thing is I really don't want to be stuck at a desk to get the best sound which of course is why I've only really been looking at portable DAC/amp. Plus if I was to go down the desktop route I'd still need the ability to output a signal to my main stereo amp as it does TV & party duty.

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #6,039 of 9,602
I tried making a thread about this but got zero responses so I figured I would ask here:

Are the K702 65th anniversary pads and the K712 memory foam pads the same? I know some of you have tried them with the q701, but have any of you tried them with the K702?

Mar 20, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #6,041 of 9,602
I asked on the bass mod thread and from what I remember the 712 pads are flat memory foam. The 702 pads are thicker angled pads than the Qs. Never tried them though

The normal K702 pads are angled, but I think the 65th anniversary pads are not angled, at least from what people seem to be saying.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #6,042 of 9,602
As far as tubes are concerned there are plenty of low cost tube options under $400. I've been looking at the Little Dot, there are plenty of users out there who are quite pleased with its performance, especially for the price. I think the Q701 would benefit greatly from the warmth of tubes but still retain it's sparkly highs plus tube amps allow you the ability to experiment with different sound signatures as you roll tubes. I'm down to the Little Dot, Pan Am or Woo Audio 6. The Pan Am has the edge because it's almost portable, the Little Dot has a great price point & the Woo has the quality.

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #6,043 of 9,602
I've also been looking at the Little Dots but there are so many options there. I've never heard of Pan Am and always assumed Woo Audio was out of my league. Is there some website where these options can be viewed all together?

What I'd really like is a nice warm sounding (preferably valve) headphone amp which also allows me to pass through the signal to my Marantz stereo amplifier.

Edit > I was right, Woo Audio is out of my league.

Mar 20, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #6,044 of 9,602
Woo Audio is available used for a fairly decent price & it's already burned in, ready to rock! I've been buying used high end audio for years & it's a much better value plus most owners of quality gear take excellent care of them since they realize the value over most "normal" consumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back