Q701 impressions thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5,266 of 9,602
Hey guys, I'm post this here since I know this can is a bit more popular than the HDJ-2000's... but has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOGAMI-BALANCED-MINI-TINY-XLR-FEMALE-TA3F-1-8-TRS-PATCH-CABLE-NEUTRIK-4-/130883392562?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item1e79421432

I recently bought a cheap cable from ebay and was incredibly disappointed with the sound quality.  Will these be a sidegrade/upgrade from stock?  I just want a non-coiled 4ft cable.  I've read good things about mogami, but I figured I might as well ask here first.

Edit: Alternatively, I can go to Redco and get a single channel, Mogami 
W2552 Thin Mic/Line Cable, 4ft, with Redco mini-xlr female 3 pin, and Canare 3.5mm for $17.... Which cable do you guys recommend? ​

I know some of you say the cable won't make a difference....but I've already gotten one faulty cable and don't want to make the same mistake.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 14, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #5,267 of 9,602
  Hey guys, I'm post this here since I know this can is a bit more popular than the HDJ-2000's... but has anyone tried this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOGAMI-BALANCED-MINI-TINY-XLR-FEMALE-TA3F-1-8-TRS-PATCH-CABLE-NEUTRIK-4-/130883392562?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item1e79421432

I recently bought a cheap cable from ebay and was incredibly disappointed with the sound quality.  Will these be a sidegrade/upgrade from stock?  I just want a non-coiled 4ft cable.  I've read good things about mogami, but I figured I might as well ask here first.

Edit: Alternatively, I can go to Redco and get a single channel, Mogami 
W2552 Thin Mic/Line Cable, 4ft, with Redco mini-xlr female 3 pin, and Canare 3.5mm for $17.... Which cable do you guys recommend? ​

I know some of you say the cable won't make a difference....but I've already gotten one faulty cable and don't want to make the same mistake.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That should be good.
I mean the REDCO stuff.

Jan 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,268 of 9,602
  That should be good.
I mean the REDCO stuff.

Haha glad you edited, I was about to ask which one you meant.

I read a while back that it could change the impendence of the headphone? Is this true?
Regarding the sleeving, should I ask for anything in particular?  Just want to get the highest quality for portable use. :)

Edit: Would buying the "balanced" cable have a different audio effect from getting the thicker quad cable?

Jan 15, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #5,270 of 9,602
  Does anyone know how the modded Q701's stack up to the HE-400's?

Not sure if this helps or not, but here are some posts from others who have tried stock Q701's / 702.

I recently upgraded from the Q701 to HE-400 and I'll try to summarize. 

Bass -- So much better on the HE-400. It goes just as deep, if not deeper, hits much harder, and is faster. Even though it's faster, it's not necessarily "tighter," since the HE-400 has more midbass. I don't find the midbass bloated though. Overall, the bass has much more impact and more of a physical texture.  

Midrange -- More recessed compared to the Q701, but it has a fast, tactile edge that really sounds nice on distorted guiters and synths. More crunch. 

Highs -- Maybe not as extended as the Q701. The HE-400 are less bright overall, but there is a peak in the treble that gives it some sparkle (or fatigue, depending on how much you like highs). I thought the highs on the Q701 were smoother, but also more emphasized.

Soundstage/ Imaging -- The HE-400 have a smaller soundstage, but not by a large amount. I wouldn't call it small, just not huge like the Q701. However, the imaging is significantly better and more precise. I found the Q701s emphasized width but could also sound too diffuse. The HE-400 are more focused and 3D. You are closer to the music and the center image is denser. 

Detail -- A bit more detail through the HE-400. The Q701, with their brighter sound, can make small details louder and more obvious, but the HE-400 reveals more in the end. You have to listen more closely though. 

Overall, the HE-400 have more of a "v-shaped" signature, with a focused and precise soundstage that's moderately smaller. The imaging is  much more defined. The HE-400 have a lot more midbass and a denser, thicker sound. Somewhat paradoxically, though, the HE-400 is also faster and more resolving. Sounds snap in and out of a nice, black background, and there is a tactile and precisely textured weight to the bass and midrange.

For classical, the Q701's soundstage has a clear advantage. It does a better job of recreating a grand sense of scale. However, the HE-400's imaging can be very pleasant. It's cool to have a clear picture of how different sections of a choir are positioned relative to each other, for example. The HE-400 does a better job of giving weight and texture to instruments like organ, drums, and horns, but the Q701 has a more natural timbre overall. The HE-400's treble isn't as smooth and it has a slightly off upper mids to treble transition. For vocals, the HE-400 are more recessed by I get a better sense of the physicality of the singer's mouth, how the lips move and the tongue interacts with the teeth. 

Hope that helps.

Just listened to the HE 400 and K702 in a LONG A/B test after receiving them today. Listened to them without burn in and only with the stock Leather pads on the HE 400. (So my comparison may not be accurate)

At first, i found the HE 400 to be very muddy compared to the K702. However, after 2 hours of listening and burning them in; i can physically feel the drivers begin to relax and sound A LOT better and more natural. (CAN"T WAIT for a real burn in of 100+ hours, and the velours pads since i heard it helps) 

I found the HE 400 to be MUCH MUCH more engaging, it just have so much energy and speed. The bass is INFINITELY better in every possible way, more bass impact, more bass extension,  more lower end detail. I found the mids and highs to be not as forward as the ones on the K702, but it is very detailed and sounds very good nerveless. (Even on classical music)

The only area i found the K702 to be crushing the HE400 is in soundstage. Especially for classical music, i found the width of the K702 soundstage to be awe inspiring, while the HE 400 gives you a more intimate feel. (a much smaller soundstage) I cannot judge the depth of the soundstage yet, as i only had a couple of hours on the HE 400.

So far i'm fairly happy with the He400, hope they can get even better with more burn in + velour pads if that helps. 

Last thing i noticed is that the K702 sometimes get a very shrill high range. While the HE 400 is more of a "smooth" high range, better for easy listening. But i think the K702 have more extension up in the high range.  

Still can't decide which one i like the most yet. They're all VERY VERY good.

Well bring into notices the diff. b.w the two (also including Quincy Jones model of AKG) :

Better Clarity -->HE-400
Better Instrument Separation --> HE-400 (though AKG ones have much bigger and better SoundStage...Magic of Orthos)

Better Positioning --> Positioning also refers to Directionality capabilities of a HP which will look better on Thin-Sounding Headphones. HE-400 is Thicker whereas Annie/Quincy are much Thinner. But also Instrument Separation and Positioning goes hand-by-hand but heard Annie/Quincy has better positioning where as Instrument Separation is much better on HE-400....A point to Discuss (Enlighten Me!!)

Better Over-all Presentation -->HE-400 as it is more Engaging & listening to them after coming back from other Headphones seems that some Energy was lost in music in those Headphones.

Better Treble --> AKG K702 Annie/Q701
Better Mids -->HE-400 (Tough Competition there but Keeping such Gr8 Lows with Mids being Intact is just Phenomenal!!)
Better Bass --> HE-400 Comfort --> Annie & Quincy Amplification --->HE-400 

Looks--> All Good, Matter of Personal Choice :wink:

Price to Value Ration --> K702 65th Anniversary & HE-400 are almost same but if AKG Q701 (being a lower price model) is almost identical to K702 Annie then How it fairs up against HE-400 is a question as HE-400 Low End is comparable to some v.good High-End Headphones & its Mids are ALWAYS intact which happen v.less for a Headphone having Superb Low end though being at 400$... (Readers in Need of all yours comment for the same )

Jan 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5,271 of 9,602
How do they sound with e07k only without e12?
I got e07k and it's a huge improvement over my HP business series laptop audio, but hardly much over my Nokia Lumia 520 analog sound amplification .

The E07K makes the Q701's sound warm-ish and airy, not as much bass impact.
The E12 still makes the Q701's warm-ish and airy. But with more depth and accurate 2D sound positioning.

However, if I could, I wish I didn't buy the E12.
The E12 is an incremental change and not significant enough to make the upgrade worth it from the E07K to the E12.

Sometimes I switch back to the E07K/E12 from my ODAC/02 combo once in a while. 

The E07K I'd say powers about 1/2 the potential the Q701's have. This potential is somewhat personal opinion though.
To me this halved power makes the Q701's oh so heavenly. It doesn't draw too much microdetails that destroys half my japanese poprock playlist, the Q701's sound a bit cold and airy that makes my classical and female vocals sing. The E07K causes the Q701's to be mid and treble focussed.

If you were ever planning to upgrade, see if you can get the ODAC/02 for $200 used on headfi.

Trust me, I've been pretty ignorant of user's input here on headfi because most of the stuff I haven't even listenned to, but when I do upgrade; I always get the excitement to replay every song I have in my harddrive.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #5,272 of 9,602
Thanks cheuh. I have read those posts before and that's why I was interested in knowing if the modded Q701 could best the HE400, as the stock version couldn't.

I actually chose the q701 over the he400 while buying and I'm looking for a reason not to regret my decision regarding its sound :p (I do find the q701 more comfortable and better built).

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,273 of 9,602
  Thanks cheuh. I have read those posts before and that's why I was interested in knowing if the modded Q701 could best the HE400, as the stock version couldn't.

I actually chose the q701 over the he400 while buying and I'm looking for a reason not to regret my decision regarding its sound :p (I do find the q701 more comfortable and better built).

The real question and the bottom line really is, do you like the modded Q701? Some people might prefer the HE400, but that doesn't mean it's better and it doesn't mean you'll like it more. Only you can decide that. If you don't like the modded Q701 overall, or find more fault in it than you'd like, then try another headphone. 

For me, I really find no fault in the modded Q701 on my current setup. That doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,274 of 9,602
  The real question and the bottom line really is, do you like the modded Q701? Some people might prefer the HE400, but that doesn't mean it's better and it doesn't mean you'll like it more. Only you can decide that. If you don't like the modded Q701 overall, or find more fault in it than you'd like, then try another headphone. 

For me, I really find no fault in the modded Q701 on my current setup. That doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same. 

I absolutely adore my modded q701, it fixes all the problems with the stock one for me! And it has my preferred sound signature. I guess I should be content 
k701smile.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #5,275 of 9,602
  I absolutely adore my modded q701, it fixes all the problems with the stock one for me! And it has my preferred sound signature. I guess I should be content 
k701smile.gif

Again, that is up to you to decide. If you are happy with them, then try not to think about other headphones. Just enjoy the music.

The only complaint I sometimes have is the lack of isolation, but that is the trade off when you want an enormous soundstage. Right now I'm trying to listen to mine, but next door my neighbor has a tree crew at the house cutting down trees and chipping tree limbs and such and I can hear it in the background. 

Other than that I have become content with my setup, and now my new addiction is buying new music to enjoy on them. My music library isn't very big, and I need to grow it. That is my new focus. In the last 3-4 months or so my music collection has been growing at a very very good pace. I've been buying used CD's at an alarming rate. 

If you want to keep building up your system, you can always try better/different amps and DAC's as well. The Q701, especially when modded, really deserves a good source and good equipment driving it. If you are using the Fiio E07k in your signature, there is definitely room for improvement to better the sound from your Q701. Even the ODAC or the Schiit Modi would be a drastic improvement over the DAC section of the E07k. I had the E17 prior to what I have now and it is a pretty easy difference to hear. Better bass, better detail, better soundstage, the list goes on. A better/more powerful amp would of course help as well. Just something to think about. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5,276 of 9,602
  Again, that is up to you to decide. If you are happy with them, then try not to think about other headphones. Just enjoy the music.

The only complaint I sometimes have is the lack of isolation, but that is the trade off when you want an enormous soundstage. Right now I'm trying to listen to mine, but next door my neighbor has a tree crew at the house cutting down trees and chipping tree limbs and such and I can hear it in the background. 

Other than that I have become content with my setup, and now my new addiction is buying new music to enjoy on them. My music library isn't very big, and I need to grow it. That is my new focus. In the last 3-4 months or so my music collection has been growing at a very very good pace. I've been buying used CD's at an alarming rate. 

If you want to keep building up your system, you can always try better/different amps and DAC's as well. The Q701, especially when modded, really deserves a good source and good equipment driving it. If you are using the Fiio E07k in your signature, there is definitely room for improvement to better the sound from your Q701. Even the ODAC or the Schiit Modi would be a drastic improvement over the DAC section of the E07k. I had the E17 prior to what I have now and it is a pretty easy difference to hear. Better bass, better detail, better soundstage, the list goes on. A better/more powerful amp would of course help as well. Just something to think about. 

My only complaint with the Q701 is the ridiculous amount of burn-in required before the cans opened up
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #5,277 of 9,602

My only complaint with the Q701 is the ridiculous amount of burn-in required before the cans opened up
blink.gif

to johanchandy:

This is another good point. I don't know how long you have had yours or how many hours you have on them, but I agree with this. If you think they sound good now, they will get even better. I don't want to start another burn in debate, but I heard some changes in mine as well. 

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5,278 of 9,602

I forgot to update my sig, I use an Aune T1 to power these, and the Aune powers them quite well imho, I do listen to them with the built in amplifier in my Asus G750 as well which with a bit of eq is quite competent and comes quite close to the Aune imho.

Regarding burn-in I've got 40-50 hours on them, I know that's not nearly enough for these. How many hours did it take you guys for them to open up? 

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #5,279 of 9,602
  I forgot to update my sig, I use an Aune T1 to power these, and the Aune powers them quite well imho, I do listen to them with the built in amplifier in my Asus G750 as well which with a bit of eq is quite competent and comes quite close to the Aune imho.

Regarding burn-in I've got 40-50 hours on them, I know that's not nearly enough for these. How many hours did it take you guys for them to open up? 

My experience with the Q701 is a mixed one. Brand new, it sounds dry and plasticky, I hated them. 50 hours+, it doesn't sound plasticky anymore. 100 hours+, the bass opened up a bit. 200 hours+, the cans became dry and sibilant again, just like when it was brand new, with only better bass extension. 300 hours+, this is where it gets interesting... it feels like a different cans. They became much warmer, but a bit veiled. The harsh highs are mostly gone, and the mids became fuller. Then I modded them, and after 400 hours+, I'd say they are almost perfect for my taste.

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #5,280 of 9,602
I don't have as detailed a timeline as 62ohm does. I can say that I did like mine very much right from the start, they did get better with age though. I didn't have an hour meter running so I can't say how quickly I put hours on mine or when changes started happening. I got mine a couple of days after hurricane Sandy was hitting NY/NJ, which was just over a year ago, (I guess about 14-15 months ago or so now) and I'd say I probably have averaged about 3 hours a day give or take on mine. So I'd say I have somewhere around 1,200+ hours or so on mine at this point. They did open up quite a bit as time went on, they definitely ended up sounding even better than they started. I'd have a difficult time putting a date on it or saying how many hours it took. That along with me upgrading my other equipment, and eventually modding mine when that became the thing to do a few months ago.

Anyway, I love mine and I really think the only other headphone I'd enjoy more would probably be the HD800. At the price of the Q701, plus the free mod, they are quite the bargain. Meanwhile the HD800 can't be had for less than probably about $1200 at the absolute lowest. To me the difference in price of about 6-7 times isn't worth the extra few percent better that it sounds. I'll keep enjoying my somewhat inexpensive current setup and keep growing my music library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back