Q701 impressions thread
Jan 8, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #5,236 of 9,602
  Since we're on the path of tabling about the headbands.

The headband is freaking me out. Bumps are being left on my head and it feels like my scalp might be stuck like this forever.

Exactly why I cut the bumps off after 3 days of ownership.  

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #5,239 of 9,602
I am one of those who thinks that a thread without pictures is not a thread, and as I am just enjoying my last DIY project (not finished yet by the way), I thought I would share with you some pictures of the HD700, the Q701 (bass port and headband mod, take note Nec3
wink_face.gif
 and remove those bumps!), and the Fiio E18 paired with the O2. I chose some more adventurous colors this time.

I don´t feel confident to share comments about the HD700 - modded Q701 comparison but I'll just advance that they are closer than I thought. The HD700 is slightly darker to my surprise, and sonic comments apart is definitely much much more comfortable. My ears get less warm with them. On the other hand they isolate much less. Even though they are open back, the Q701 covers more background noise. A funny point, while the Q701 is not very much affected by covering the back with the hand, the HD700 is. More comments next week. Hope you like the pictures. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #5,241 of 9,602
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #5,244 of 9,602
  Anyone interested in Q701 they are on sale at NCIX.ca

http://products.ncix.com/detail/akg-by-harman-q-701-quincy-jones-signature-line-reference-class-premium-headphones-black-ce-86792-1437.htm
$250 CAD is far from a good price.  That's equal to $230 USD.   The standard price on Amazon is $200 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Signature-Reference-Class-Premium-Headphones/dp/B004444O3W

You can also get a good deal by buying them used on Amazon.  I bought mine used from amazon with a "like new" grade for $175 USD.  They came in flawless condition and included the box.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,245 of 9,602
Hollllyyyy SCHIIIIIIIIITT, wait no, holy JDS Labs?

The Objective2 and DAC came in the mail from TunnelVision42. In all honesty, I was expecting more clarity.

I got EVERYTHING. Deeper bass, faster sound, a full-bodied soundstage, a soundstage that took up the entire headphone, more depth. 

I know for some, an upgrade from the E12 to an ODAC/O2 is very small. But for me this upgrade was quite substantial. I have selective hearing, I don't think I have golden ears though, so don't try to call my name from a mile away.

Now that these are properly amped, I don't think these are bass anemic at all. They have almost as much punch as my a900x, but it's a more solid punch indeed!
Amping from the E12 made my Q701's sound cold, compared to actual warmth that I know what people are talking about when used with the ODAC.

Techno is enjoyable, there's instruments in a THIRD LAYER of soundstage, who knew?

When a female singer is screaming her D6 note, I was so surprised I actually felt she moved away from the mic. In which her voiced moved back into my Q701's. 

Compressed music has a place in the Q701's, and it's plopped right in the center of the soundstage. This made it a huge deal in being able to tell more easily what's compressed or not.

I kind of hated the O2 though, it revealed a lot of sibilance; destroying half of my anime/japanese playlist D:

Jan 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #5,246 of 9,602
  http://products.ncix.com/detail/akg-by-harman-q-701-quincy-jones-signature-line-reference-class-premium-headphones-black-ce-86792-1437.htm
$250 CAD is far from a good price.  That's equal to $230 USD.   The standard price on Amazon is $200 USD.

230$US (250$cdn) is what they've sold for the last year or so on amazon.com, so not a horrendous price...   And don't forget, add 20$ of shipping for US to CA, 10$ of brokerage,  250$cdn isn't all that bad, actually probably comes down to the exact same thing, actually maybe a bit more from ncix because if I recall it's like 10$ of shipping, but still, maybe 10$ difference in the end.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #5,247 of 9,602
So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.

Jan 10, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #5,248 of 9,602
  So has anyone heard the Aune T1 with a Q701 yet?  I've tried to find a better value than the Q701 and short of going to the far more expensive HD800, I cannot even get close to how much I like these cans.

No, rather, I have been considering sidegrading to a warmer sounding amp that could possibly make them more dynamic and impactful to match their slightly pronounced upper mid / lower treble with source material that is less than perfect.  Currently running Nuforce Icon HD and it is known to be bright in the amp section (wonderful DAC, though).

If not Aune, then what else could be warmer with enough power to make this happen short of a vintage receiver?  I guess I could try ODAC.  Sadly, I wasn't a fan of the bass mod as I only perceived an uncomfortable low frequency boost and additional SPL without much heft added to the mid-bass area where the toe-tapping first half of a kick drum's waveform resides.

+1 to this. I also wanna know..

Jan 10, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #5,249 of 9,602

Have you tried a tube amp for warmth? Something like a Little Dot MKIII?

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #5,250 of 9,602
Just started researching other threads... this one was pretty informative:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/432185/tube-amp-for-k701

They talk about how lower end tube amps tend to lack the expensive transformers required to keep an impedance mismatch from connecting directly to the tube (which tend to have high impendance naturally) from robbing all the power delivered to a lower impedance headphone like Q701, and that this "OTL" design is really only an inexpensive way to get smooth tube sound for higher impedance phones.  Some people were recommending a Woo 6 to retain the power with 701s, as it has the transformer required to be compatible with a wider range of headphones of various impedance.

On the Aune spec page, it says: Suitable headphone Impedance : 30ohm~600ohm
http://en.auneaudio.com/html/en_products/NewDesign/T-Series/154_20.html

Really?  Has anyone heard it and is it indeed warmer?  I cannot determine if this design incorporates the kind of transformer that could make this particularly price competitive amp able to properly drive the 701s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back