Q701 impressions thread
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #5,027 of 9,602
It's not just the SX750, the ODAC is also a better DAC.

Oops!  I forgot about the ODAC. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #5,029 of 9,602
  After having the Q701s for 3 weeks I decided to do the bass port mod, initial impressions: I can feel the bass rather than hear it, this is amazing.

What i like about the bass port mod it make the Q701 sound powerful with my LD MK III and if i like more power i plug it in to my KENWOOD or Bravo Audio Ocean.IMO LD MK III make the Q sound smoother, now i'm imagining how it will sound with one of those highend Tube amp.

Dec 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #5,030 of 9,602
  What i like about the bass port mod it make the Q701 sound powerful with my LD MK III and if i like more power i plug it in to my KENWOOD or Bravo Audio Ocean.IMO LD MK III make the Q sound smoother, now i'm imagining how it will sound with one of those highend Tube amp.

the fact that it sounded nice with almost everything i throw at it makes it a miracle to have

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5,031 of 9,602
Hi guys,

I have I few questions for you.

One of my friends I play games with said he did the sticker mod and loves it, he said the bass now feels like it's scratching his brain, whatever that means
biggrin.gif

So does the mod really make a difference? these modded sound like they'd be the perfect headphone's for me.

Unfortunately where I live I don't have access to the variety of amp's some of you do, but I have found a bargain on a Xonar Essence One, do you think it could drive the these?

Do you think these are the best value in their price range? I could stretch my budget a bit, but paying 3 times the price for something 50% better doesn't seem worth it to me. 

Thanks.

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #5,032 of 9,602
  Hi guys,

One of my friends I play games with said he did the sticker mod and loves it, he said the bass now feels like it's scratching his brain, whatever that means
biggrin.gif

So does the mod really make a difference? these modded sound like they'd be the perfect headphone's for me.

Unfortunately where I live I don't have access to the variety of amp's some of you do, but I have found a bargain on a Xonar Essence One, do you think it could drive the these?

Do you think these are the best value in their price range? I could stretch my budget a bit, but paying 3 times the price for something 50% better doesn't seem worth it to me. 

Thanks.

Yes it makes quite a noticeable difference

Any amp will drive it, but better amps will make it sound better. It scales pretty well with more expensive gear.

These are definitely the best value in their price range. The only headphone I think I'd like better would be the HD800, which costs about 6-7 times as much. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #5,033 of 9,602
  Hi guys,

biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Hi mate,

The mod really does bring these cans into a new level. Pre-mod, I can hear the bass. Post-mod, I can hear and feel the bass.

I have no knowledge about the Xonar Essence, but regarding the value for money, I believe these are the very best value-for-money pair of cans, really hit the sweet spot in terms of bang-for-the-buck. Regarding stretching your budget, I believe that would not really be necessary. In my opinion, the HD800 is not even twice as good and it's nowhere near 3 times the price, more like 7 with Amazon price. I've heard the HD800 paired with WA7 & Soloist, and whilst I cannot deny they sound really good, NZ price of $3,500 for HD800/WA7 vs $1,000 for Q701/Magni/Modi can be a downer.

In short, I truly do believe the Q701 really hits the sweet spot of price/performance ratio, and some even says that the Vali elevates the Q701 into a whole new level.

Cheers

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #5,034 of 9,602
  Yes it makes quite a noticeable difference

Any amp will drive it, but better amps will make it sound better. It scales pretty well with more expensive gear.

These are definitely the best value in their price range. The only headphone I think I'd like better would be the HD800, which costs about 6-7 times as much. 

Hi mate,

The mod really does bring these cans into a new level. Pre-mod, I can hear the bass. Post-mod, I can hear and feel the bass.

I have no knowledge about the Xonar Essence, but regarding the value for money, I believe these are the very best value-for-money pair of cans, really hit the sweet spot in terms of bang-for-the-buck. Regarding stretching your budget, I believe that would not really be necessary. In my opinion, the HD800 is not even twice as good and it's nowhere near 3 times the price, more like 7 with Amazon price. I've heard the HD800 paired with WA7 & Soloist, and whilst I cannot deny they sound really good, NZ price of $3,500 for HD800/WA7 vs $1,000 for Q701/Magni/Modi can be a downer.

In short, I truly do believe the Q701 really hits the sweet spot of price/performance ratio, and some even says that the Vali elevates the Q701 into a whole new level.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Looks like I'm settled on the q701's,but finding an amp is proving impossible in South Africa, and importing is so damn expensive.
The Essence One's spec's look good but i cant find many comparisons for it.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #5,035 of 9,602
I agree the Q701 is a great headphone!
I don't have personal experience with the Essence One, but Asus generally puts care into their electronics (and I read a review that was very impressed with the Essence One Muses edition), so if I was you and the E1 was the best deal around I'd feel safe choosing it. Hope you enjoy!

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #5,036 of 9,602
I agree the Q701 is a great headphone!
I don't have personal experience with the Essence One, but Asus generally puts care into their electronics (and I read a review that was very impressed with the Essence One Muses edition), so if I was you and the E1 was the best deal around I'd feel safe choosing it. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks' man, I'm just nervous it's more marketing than a serious piece of kit. And the store has a none existent return policy unless it's broken. The third world gives me a headache.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5,037 of 9,602
So I decided to revisit the bass port mod on these headphones..  With classical music ,  they don't feel as airy anymore,  but rock is more enjoyable due to the guitar presence and increased bass.  Although I think the bass isn't as solid,  the mids are less pronounced (perhaps they were forwarded in the first place and I was used to of that).  The treble is toned down a bit which is what I mean for it to be less airy.  Also,  the sound stage is deeper and filling,  but quite  narrower and matches my a900x sounds take a bit.  Now my question is,  does this mod make  these headphones more accurate to the original recording? >

I editted that, it`s mids. Sorry, forgive my autocorrect on my phone.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #5,038 of 9,602
  So I decided to revisit the bass port mod on these headphones..  With classical music ,  they don't feel as airy anymore,  but rock is more enjoyable due to the guitar presence and increased bass.  Although I think the bass isn't as solid,  the mods are less pronounced (perhaps they were forwarded in the first place and I was used to of that).  The treble is toned down a bit which is what I mean for it to be less airy.  Also,  the sound stage is deeper and filling,  but quite  narrower and matches my a900x sounds take a bit.  Now my question is,  does this mod make  these headphones more accurate to the original recording? 

Honestly, I'm not sure. To me the mod makes the bass sounds looser, but more enjoyable.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #5,039 of 9,602
So I decided to revisit the bass port mod on these headphones..  With classical music ,  they don't feel as airy anymore,  but rock is more enjoyable due to the guitar presence and increased bass.  Although I think the bass isn't as solid,  the mods are less pronounced (perhaps they were forwarded in the first place and I was used to of that).  The treble is toned down a bit which is what I mean for it to be less airy.  Also,  the sound stage is deeper and filling,  but quite  narrower and matches my a900x sounds take a bit.  Now my question is,  does this mod make  these headphones more accurate to the original recording? 

I agree on most of your points. I don't think the quality of the bass has decreased one bit. I think its just as solid as before, now it just has more impact and extends deeper. I don't hear any less air, but I do agree that the soundstage projects farther forward increasing depth. In my opinion it is a more accurate sound after the mod. Bass is meant to have depth and after the mod it definitely has more depth.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #5,040 of 9,602
Maybe its partly because of my amp, but the bass doesn't sound loose to me. It still sounds well controlled. I actually think the bass sounded artificial prior to the mod. It seemed over dampened and unnaturally tight before the mod. Not sure how else to describe it. Over dampened is probably the best and simplest way to put it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back