Q701 impressions thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #4,936 of 9,602

I think you must be the first person to do the mod new out of the box with the Q701! It's totally worth the (small) risk.
That E9 has very good synergy with the AKGs i've found. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I once had a more expensive amp and hated the K702 with it, but bought a E9 and found that it sounded even better!
The E9 to me is a good all-rounder and even drives the DT-880 600.

Your DJ100 seems to love the E9 too.

I didn't have the E09K and only the E9 but I figure they both sound identical or similar.

i (too) modded it right out of the box, cause too much reading will hurt your eyes and makes you do irrational things

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #4,937 of 9,602
I believe most of Fleetwood Mac songs on Spotify is 160kbps, not 320kbps. Listening to the same song now on lossless WAV feels like rediscovering the music. I feel kinda stupid for taking so long to make the move and ditch Spotify 
confused_face.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #4,938 of 9,602
I believe most of Fleetwood Mac songs on Spotify is 160kbps, not 320kbps. Listening to the same song now on lossless WAV feels like rediscovering the music. I feel kinda stupid for taking so long to make the move and ditch Spotify :confused_face:

Idd man, lossless music through foobar2000 or some other good playback software is so much better than spotify. :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #4,939 of 9,602
Idd man, lossless music through foobar2000 or some other good playback software is so much better than spotify.
smily_headphones1.gif

Get Fidelify.
It's the only WASAPI / ASIO Spotify client.
It's free. It's a beta version though, and thus sometimes a lil' unstable. Plus, it only offers limited functions.
But since we are talking about SQ...

Fidelify indicates the bitrate for each track after a few seconds (you can even choose the rate priority).
The vast majority (I would say more than 80%) of the tracks are 320kbs (not 160kbs).
And the Spotify Vorbis encoder q9 320kbs (Ogg container) is the best lossy encoder available.
Q9 320kbs is almost overkill and can be considered as transparent.
Distinguishing FLAC from Vorbis 320kbs (if the master is good) would be a nightmare for your brain and ears.
http://www.fidelify.net/

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #4,940 of 9,602
My Q701's started creaking, and I think this after 3 years of usage(passed on by MANY users on headfi, but I don't plan to re-sell it, IT'S MINE!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

The right pivot of the earcup makes a plastic creaking, but only when I stretch the headphone. Unfortunately I have a big head and there's about 3/4 of a centimeter left in the headband slider. Is there a way to get rid of the creaking? Would taking it apart and finding the pivot mechanism and lubing it be a good solution? I don't want to have the headphone explode on me.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #4,941 of 9,602
  Till you hear Aune T1 + Q701, you'll be surprised by how much better in sound separation and detail these headphone can get.
I was very surprised when I first heard E17 + Q701. Sound that I don't even know exist with my previous setup.
Then came along the AuneT1... now I'm not just acknowledge that there are more sound to be heard from every recording, but a more realistic presentation that I can say what I am hearing. A slight 'tap' that I can hear from a piece of music 'String Quartet No.1 Op.11" with E17 turns out to be the sound of a wooden stick get in contact with something with echo when hear with T1.....Of course, one would say you can get even better result with Burson soloist etc...but the T1 is about the same price as the E17 when I first acquired. Also, I haven't get into tube rolling yet. I am still on the 6922 that came with the unit. I paid $139 + tax for my E17 and I paid $150 (include shipping and no tax) for my T1. The only thing is T1 is not portable. I still use E17 with K550 on the go.

I had no idea. That sounds mighty impressive at this price point. Is the Aune T1 as powerful as the E09k? I might get it if it is :) Which colour is better in person, the silver or black? I'm guessing the black would go better with my black Q701's but the silver one looks amazing in pictures

Have you heard the Q701's out of the E9/E09k?

Reading more on the Aune T1 it seems the soundstage is massive on them...
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm guessing this is a safe place to buy it from?- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AUNE-T1-24bit-96kHz-Tube-Amplifier-USB-Decoder-USB-DAC-6922-Tube-The-Best-Ver-/130722715612

Does any one know where to get them in Canada other than ebay?

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,942 of 9,602
Got mine for a little bit more than 100, (US) shipping was reasonnable too, total was 140 if I recall correctly

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #4,943 of 9,602
Hi guy's, after a nightmare on trying to find the right headphones for me I've decided on the q701's.

I'm stuck on what amp/dac to get for them, I do quite a bit of gaming so I'm looking for something that can decode dolby surround from a xbox or ps3,is there something portable-ish that can do that? something like a fiio e12 mixed with a astro mixamp if that make's sense. or is my only option to get a amp and something like the astro mixamp?

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #4,944 of 9,602
Got mine for a little bit more than 100, (US) shipping was reasonnable too, total was 140 if I recall correctly

I was looking well before I made my purchase. It took too long to wait for the drop to happen and another long wait for the delivery. Since there's only $10 difference in final cost. I bought it somewhere else.

I had no idea. That sounds mighty impressive at this price point. Is the Aune T1 as powerful as the E09k? I might get it if it is :) Which colour is better in person, the silver or black? I'm guessing the black would go better with my black Q701's but the silver one looks amazing in pictures

Have you heard the Q701's out of the E9/E09k?

Reading more on the Aune T1 it seems the soundstage is massive on them...
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm guessing this is a safe place to buy it from?- http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AUNE-T1-24bit-96kHz-Tube-Amplifier-USB-Decoder-USB-DAC-6922-Tube-The-Best-Ver-/130722715612

Does any one know where to get them in Canada other than ebay?

I bought mine from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUNE-T1-24bit-96kHz-Tube-Amplifier-USB-Decoder-USB-DAC-6922-Tube-The-Best-Version/793519471.html

Shipped to Canada as well.

It is way more powerful than E17 and E17 is slightly more powerful than E07k.
I do not have E09k

Similar to E17 Aune T1 has 3 gain settings.
On E17 my nomal listening level is 40 out of 60 (70%)  @ 6 dB (mid gain setting)
On Aune T1 I 'm listening at low gain setting @ 50%

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,945 of 9,602

Get Fidelify.
It's the only WASAPI / ASIO Spotify client.
It's free. It's a beta version though, and thus sometimes a lil' unstable. Plus, it only offers limited functions.
But since we are talking about SQ...

Fidelify indicates the bitrate for each track after a few seconds (you can even choose the rate priority).
The vast majority (I would say more than 80%) of the tracks are 320kbs (not 160kbs).
And the Spotify Vorbis encoder q9 320kbs (Ogg container) is the best lossy encoder available.
Q9 320kbs is almost overkill and can be considered as transparent.
Distinguishing FLAC from Vorbis 320kbs (if the master is good) would be a nightmare for your brain and ears.
http://www.fidelify.net/

It sounded much better than the standard Spotify for a brief moment, but then it just stopped working on me lol. I can't seem to get it to run anymore, but it shows potential. Perhaps overtime they would make it stabler and then, I think it would be a great alternative to FLAC/ WAV.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #4,946 of 9,602

I bought mine from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AUNE-T1-24bit-96kHz-Tube-Amplifier-USB-Decoder-USB-DAC-6922-Tube-The-Best-Version/793519471.html

Shipped to Canada as well.

It is way more powerful than E17 and E17 is slightly more powerful than E07k.
I do not have E09k

Similar to E17 Aune T1 has 3 gain settings.
On E17 my nomal listening level is 40 out of 60 (70%)  @ 6 dB (mid gain setting)
On Aune T1 I 'm listening at low gain setting @ 50%

That's a great price. I already ordered one from the ebay link in the previous post. I'm wondering if it is possible to cancel my Ebay order 
confused.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,947 of 9,602
  That's a great price. I already ordered one from the ebay link in the previous post. I'm wondering if it is possible to cancel my Ebay order 
confused.gif

Just a reminder, don't forget to menton the power supply voltage. I seen some email people getting wrong voltage units. The power supply's output is a -15-0-+15 AC brick. It is not rare but not as common as you can grab from any electronic store.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #4,948 of 9,602

It sounded much better than the standard Spotify for a brief moment, but then it just stopped working on me lol. I can't seem to get it to run anymore, but it shows potential. Perhaps overtime they would make it stabler and then, I think it would be a great alternative to FLAC/ WAV.

1) open the client in "Administrator mode"
2) since there is some sort of latency, don't rush things, don't click everywhere at the same time, be patient, otherwise it will indeed crash or freeze
3) some features are buggy: "browse album" works fine but for some weird reason "browse artist" (for example) => crash
4) you can add tracks to playlists but don't try to create lists (manage your lists, settings and stuff in the Spotify client)
5) if Fidelify crashes -> close it in the task manager

also, Wasapi mode will disable all others system sounds, which proves that Fidelify provides a bit-perfect signal)
youtube videos for example and other stuff that try to access (without success) your soundcard, won't work (wasapi is exclusive).

be patient and kinda tolerant and once you get used to it, it will work like a charm.
from a SQ point of view, it is WORTH the little hassle.
the sound is absolutely superb, and Fidelify displays the bitrate, a great and reassuring function that offers bitrates nevrotic freaks a guilt-free listening...  
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #4,949 of 9,602

Just a reminder, don't forget to menton the power supply voltage. I seen some email people getting wrong voltage units. The power supply's output is a -15-0-+15 AC brick. It is not rare but not as common as you can grab from any electronic store.

Thanks for your help, mine is on my way :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #4,950 of 9,602
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to buying new gear because each time I upgrade, I'm thinking. THIS IS ALL I NEED FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!
Next thing I know I'm forking out another $200 for this hobby.

I just need an unbiased opinion on if this upgrade would be worth it.

Would an Objective O2 and ODac combo be worth it for $200? Would I be able to feel (since now I'm hearing that these upgrades are felt more than physically heard) a difference between an Objective O2 and ODAC combo compared to a Fiio E12 and E07K combo?

Just to power the Q701 and Fostex T50rp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back