Q701 impressions thread
Dec 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #4,906 of 9,602
Okay it's not that cold outside so i went in the shed to get some Xmas things for my wife what i found is a long forgoten KENWOOD KR-A3060 Stereo Receiver.brought in the house cleaned it and plug in my Q701 man i was surprise how good the sound, HUGE SOUNDSTAGE,TIGHT BASS and very nice HIGH but  it take up a lot of space on my desk.I was looking at the VALI,MODI,LD 1+,EF-2A and Matrix m-stage no more for those schiit i'm keeping this KENWOOD for now.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #4,907 of 9,602
I'm sitting here avoiding the cold outside and listening to random songs using the Q701 and my AudioEngine D1 and have to say between the Q701 for open headphones and K545 for closed portable sound I am as satisfied musically as I have ever been in my years at Head-fi. Both headphones are simply superb, offering an excellent balance of bass, midrange, and treble in both cases. The Q701 has a bigger sound stage and a slight edge in detail while having slightly less bass quantity but they both compliment each other very well. I traded a pair of modded MDR1R for my Q701 and am so glad I made the switch. The crazy thing is I was sure I wouldn't like the Q701! I could have bought a pair of these a couple years ago and been finished searching for an affordable open headphone!

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #4,908 of 9,602
I'm sitting here avoiding the cold outside and listening to random songs using the Q701 and my AudioEngine D1 and have to say between the Q701 for open headphones and K545 for closed portable sound I am as satisfied musically as I have ever been in my years at Head-fi. Both headphones are simply superb, offering an excellent balance of bass, midrange, and treble in both cases. The Q701 has a bigger sound stage and a slight edge in detail while having slightly less bass quantity but they both compliment each other very well. I traded a pair of modded MDR1R for my Q701 and am so glad I made the switch. The crazy thing is I was sure I wouldn't like the Q701! I could have bought a pair of these a couple years ago and been finished searching for an affordable open headphone!

I just got my q701. Amazon prime delivers on Sunday! So far I must say I'm quite impressed with the details, high, and sound stage. Bass is not too bad either. It's pretty power hungry tho.

For 175 I think it's probably best value in headphones.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4,909 of 9,602
I can see why some people think the sound stage is too large.  I felt like I'm listening in a room rather than through the headphones.  The soundstage is much larger than my HD600.  The high is very sweet sounding with my Theorem 720 amp.  Reminds me of some of my tube gears.  I must say they sound nearly as good as the HD600 so far.  Different but definitely in the same league.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,910 of 9,602
I'm not sure if this was asked before but how does the modded q701 sound compared to the he-400? I plan to get one of them. 
I'm leaning towards the q701 as I've read they are built much better. Wondering about the Shure srh 1440/srh 1840 as well.

Genre's I listen to are classical, progressive/death/power/symphonic/folk metal and rock.

Currently I love the samson sr850's with everything, but wan't to step up. I have a modded sr80i as well which is amazing but I would like a bigger soundstage and more clarity.

I generally dislike bassy headphones.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #4,913 of 9,602

Shoot me now.  At least he wasn't wearing the white ones.  Seriously, any of these would have been better, esp. the winged pipe organ cans 
biggrin.gif

Looking just a few years down the road for Ron (check out the brand/model in the URL; hint: right-click, open in new tab :wink:

Nice find, Change is Good.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,914 of 9,602

Shoot me now.  At least he wasn't wearing the white ones.  Seriously, any of these would have been better, esp. the winged pipe organ cans 
biggrin.gif

Looking just a few years down the road for Ron (check out the brand/model in the URL; hint: right-click, open in new tab :wink:

Nice find, Change is Good.

Haha!

I was watching the football pregame show on NBC and they showed a clip of Ferrel acting as Burgandy on "The Dan Patrick Show," and right away I noticed the Qs. I then Googled the image and posted it here...
k701smile.gif

Hi, I see you had the Q701's and now own the srh1840, how do they compare to each other?

It's been way too long since I owned and listened to the stock Q701 so I really can't compare, accurately. From memory, both are quite similar in sound signatures... with the 1840 being slightly better in technicality.

I can definitely tell, however, that it has a smaller soundstage than the AKGs (when compared to the K712). Not small, by any means, but AKG's x70x soundstage is almost godlike for its price.

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4,915 of 9,602

It's been way too long since I owned and listened to the stock Q701 so I really can't compare, accurately. From memory, both are quite similar in sound signatures... with the 1840 being slightly better in technicality.

I can definitely tell, however, that it has a smaller soundstage than the AKGs (when compared to the K712). Not small, by any means, but AKG's x70x soundstage is almost godlike for its price.

Q701 it is for me then. I love me some soundstage.

Thank you so much! 

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #4,919 of 9,602
Anyone know of any difference between the Austria made Q's and the Chinese ones? People in Amazon's Q&A section seem to be overly concerned with the distinction. As long as there's no difference in the SQ I don't care. Apparently AKG moved production to China in 2013 at some point(?), so they're still authentic. But if anyone has experience with both models, I'd be grateful. Apparently the green ones Amazon still has in stock are of the Austrian build(?) so I'd be going with those if it is the case. (as if I'd chose anything other than that color anyway :p)

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #4,920 of 9,602
biggrin.gif

nice creations indeed. but the first sentence in that article makes you cringe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back