Q701 impressions thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #8,671 of 9,603
That's why nobody uses software DSP - you really can't fix that delay too much. The DTS Surround built into CS:GO is already pretty dang good. I no longer use a soundcard or anything. Plus, 5.1 in CS:GO is broken.

Feb 21, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #8,672 of 9,603
  That's why nobody uses software DSP - you really can't fix that delay too much. The DTS Surround built into CS:GO is already pretty dang good. I no longer use a soundcard or anything. Plus, 5.1 in CS:GO is broken.

Since we're in the Q701 thread. Due to the Q701's having issues with center imaging (at least paired with an "average DAC/AMP"), there's some issues with sounds in front and sounds behind. I have a hard time distinguishing sometimes especially when I'm inside smoke or something similar in CS:GO. I might just say I've had better confrontations with closed back headphones in CS.

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #8,673 of 9,603

Since we're in the Q701 thread. Due to the Q701's having issues with center imaging (at least paired with an "average DAC/AMP"), there's some issues with sounds in front and sounds behind. I have a hard time distinguishing sometimes especially when I'm inside smoke or something similar in CS:GO. I might just say I've had better confronations with closed back headphones in CS.

Hmm. I was under the impression that the Q701 had the best soundstage for gaming. I did tons of research on it as well...

Still have a month to return these bad boys though. Been burning them in while I sleep, just to see the change.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #8,674 of 9,603
They do have a great soundstage. That doesn't mean they have the best imaging, however. I have LCD-2.2F's and Q701's, some of the best for imaging and soundstaging, respectively. Each one works better for different games. They're both top-notch for gaming, though.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #8,676 of 9,603
Yup. Soundstage sets how big the stage is, imaging is how well you can pick apart where things are on the stage.
To my ears, the big stage of the Q's is great because I like having left and right cues more than depth cues, as those usually are the more immediate areas to pay attention to.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #8,677 of 9,603
  They do have a great soundstage. That doesn't mean they have the best imaging, however. I have LCD-2.2F's and Q701's, some of the best for imaging and soundstaging, respectively. Each one works better for different games. They're both top-notch for gaming, though.

+1
I find that most games from the Source Engine (Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike) benefits from closed back headphones. Which is great; because competitive games pair well with sound isolation. There are games from the Frostbite Engine (Battlefield/Crysis) that benefit from the extra audio hardware. Then there are semi-competitive games like Call of Duty (ugh) that actually do well with the Q701's because they have fancy filters (like muffling sounds) to give the listener the perception sounds are coming from behind.

To each their own hardware and game I suppose. I'm sure someone has a different opinion than I do :)

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #8,678 of 9,603
Hmm. Seems like from all the forum posts  I've seen, Its a tossup on what people prefer in headphones. I would have liked to compared the DT880 and the Q701, but alas, I didn't have the upfront money to pay for both and return one. 

I think after I break in the 701s and burn em in, they'll be a force to be reckoned with. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #8,679 of 9,603

+1
I find that most games from the Source Engine (Team Fortress 2, Counterstrike) benefits from closed back headphones. Which is great; because competitive games pair well with sound isolation. There are games from the Frostbite Engine (Battlefield/Crysis) that benefit from the extra audio hardware. Then there are semi-competitive games like Call of Duty (ugh) that actually do well with the Q701's because they have fancy filters (like muffling sounds) to give the listener the perception sounds are coming from behind.

To each their own hardware and game I suppose. I'm sure someone has a different opinion than I do :)

Well I stopped using all other headphones now. Upgraded tubes for my tube amp (Reflektor 6H23N-EV Cryoset) and soundstage is all there.
I can finally clear rooms efficiently and in the smoke without getting confused.
Center imaging is very present now.

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #8,680 of 9,603
Hey, gang--just jumping over from Sennheiser-Land to ask a quick question. I am considering diving into the world of the Q701, but I don't know much about amplification requirements. Is it absolutely required to have an amp for these cans (you can see I've never owned them before!)? If so, will $150 cover an adequate amp? Thanks for the reply/ies!

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #8,681 of 9,603
I'm running mine off an Asus Xonar DGX. It honestly sounds the same as a Fiio E10k that I paid 75 for. I returned them this past week.

150 should be enough for an amp/amp-dac combo. Don't want to post about anything I don't own though.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #8,682 of 9,603
I used an O2 and they were OK. I then borrowed a Project Ember and they were excellent. I'm still selling my pair.

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #8,684 of 9,603
Out of my phone it sounds like rubbish, but improves when I use Viper4Android and tweak the gain and DSP settings. Sounds good, but thin from the Aune T1's amp, like it's lacking power. When fed through the FiiO E9 and Vamp Verza they sound full with powerful, rumbling bass and an open, airy sound. The RealTek chip on my PC's motherboard can barely get them loud enough on full volume and sounds congested and sloppy. The Sound Blaster Z gets it plenty loud around 40% volume, presents decent bass, but it's not as lush as from the E9 or Verza. The treble is bright, clear and a little drier sounding. More analytical.

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #8,685 of 9,603
  Out of my phone it sounds like rubbish, but improves when I use Viper4Android and tweak the gain and DSP settings. Sounds good, but thin from the Aune T1's amp, like it's lacking power. When fed through the FiiO E9 and Vamp Verza they sound full with powerful, rumbling bass and an open, airy sound. The RealTek chip on my PC's motherboard can barely get them loud enough on full volume and sounds congested and sloppy. The Sound Blaster Z gets it plenty loud around 40% volume, presents decent bass, but it's not as lush as from the E9 or Verza. The treble is bright, clear and a little drier sounding. More analytical.

I heard the stock tubes on the Aune T1 are kind of iffy though, and that it's a gateway drug to tube rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back