Q701 impressions thread
Feb 21, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #8,656 of 9,603
What are you using as an amp?

I was thinking to use the amp on my Xonar DGX and buy a Magni DAC but idk how much of a difference it will be, plus I'm a bit tight on cash after my purchase (returning my E10k will get me 25 away from that DAC though).

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #8,657 of 9,603
What are you using as an amp?

I was thinking to use the amp on my Xonar DGX and buy a Magni DAC but idk how much of a difference it will be, plus I'm a bit tight on cash after my purchase (returning my E10k will get me 25 away from that DAC though).

Using Schiit Vali. Despite the noise floor, the sound improved by sufficient margin from E10K's one. 

So, I think you got a DGX which has a optical output and line out. I don't know how will you use its amp to amplify the Magni sound. I don't think that's possible.
What I'm planning to do when I get back on brazil is use my NBA-200U optical's output (toslink) and plug to a schiit stack. That way I can have a good sounding, since the DAC is the magni 2u, with the 3D effects from the NBA-200U.

About  E10K, its amp isn't that great but is good enough. And the DAC is very good, just lacking of 24/192 playback. It's a good deal below 100$. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #8,658 of 9,603
Was suppose to receive my Q701s on Thursday but lazy me slept through the door bell from the postman :xf_eek:
Anyhow, received my O2/ODAC today andhave rearranged my Q701 to be redelivered on Monday.
Looking forward to some CSGO action with the above combo :D

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #8,659 of 9,603
  Was suppose to receive my Q701s on Thursday but lazy me slept through the door bell from the postman :xf_eek:
Anyhow, received my O2/ODAC today andhave rearranged my Q701 to be redelivered on Monday.
Looking forward to some CSGO action with the above combo :D

CSGO action is crazy with mine. Thoroughly jealous of your amp/dac combo though!

So the Magni/Mod Schiit stack and the O2/ODAC seem to be my best bets for sound. Not sure which to go for though.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #8,660 of 9,603
Hopefully Ill get better and get to Nova 1 :p

Yeah, I prefer the Schiit stack aesthetics wise but the O2/ODAC came up at a great price and has the features I needed for my active speakers.

The ODAC lets me connect my speakers directly to the unit at the same time as a headphone connected to the O2 without having to remove any cables.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #8,661 of 9,603
280 is too much for me to pay for an AMP/DAC when im just using these things for comp. gaming and casual listening.

200 or less it much better for me, which is why the E10k stood out. Anything under that (Schiit stack comes close, trying to justify the price but its hard) is foreign to me.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #8,662 of 9,603

CSGO action is crazy with mine. Thoroughly jealous of your amp/dac combo though!

So the Magni/Mod Schiit stack and the O2/ODAC seem to be my best bets for sound. Not sure which to go for though.

From what I've gathered, the Vali will give a more natural sound that the Magni, though for gaming, a brighter sound will be more optimal for picking out the enemy position.  From what I've heard, the Vali will be more musical, and will compliment the Q701 better.
Can anyone further elaborate or correct upon what I've said?

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #8,663 of 9,603
So Razer just sent me a free code for its paid Surround software. Will be testing this out and letting yall know if this helps with positioning and  soundstaging.

Feb 21, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #8,664 of 9,603
  From what I've gathered, the Vali will give a more natural sound that the Magni, though for gaming, a brighter sound will be more optimal for picking out the enemy position.  From what I've heard, the Vali will be more musical, and will compliment the Q701 better.
Can anyone further elaborate or correct upon what I've said?

I guess that's it. I spend one week with vali and I can confirm that they are musicals. It sounds more realistic. Not by much, I have to say. Perhaps with a better DAC. 

So far I read... Vali sounds like Magni 2 and it's better than Magni, at mid-gear. In hi-end maybe it show more characteristics.
I've just returned vali to exchange for a Magni 2 =)

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #8,666 of 9,603
Hmm, I'll take a look there then.

5min with Razer surround and I can already tell straight up stereo is better. 

I mean, really, gun shots in CSGO are DELAYED by almost a second with that program. Simply unacceptable.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #8,668 of 9,603
  REALLY?  Are they trying to make themselves look bad?

Not sure, I was thinking 'This is how Razer keeps long time customers (owner of Blackwidow, Deathadder, Vespula), pretty cool they'd give me a 20 dollar product.'
Did the whole setup and 'config' (which was very hokey IMO) and hopped in game. Got in a Deathmatch just to check things out and I found the sound to be muffled and couldn't hear footsteps as well. I was surprised when I would die and never hear the shot. Turns out, everything is delayed! 

Overall;
-Muffled sound
-Positioning didnt change
-Delay in sound

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #8,669 of 9,603

Not sure, I was thinking 'This is how Razer keeps long time customers (owner of Blackwidow, Deathadder, Vespula), pretty cool they'd give me a 20 dollar product.'
Did the whole setup and 'config' (which was very hokey IMO) and hopped in game. Got in a Deathmatch just to check things out and I found the sound to be muffled and couldn't hear footsteps as well. I was surprised when I would die and never hear the shot. Turns out, everything is delayed! 

Overall;
-Muffled sound
-Positioning didnt change
-Delay in sound

Hopefully, they sent you a beta, because I wouldn't expect them to make a product THAT bad.

Feb 21, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #8,670 of 9,603
Nope, you can download surround for free. All the key does is unlock the extra features, which didn't help at all when I tweaked them. Feelin bad for the suckers who paid for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back