Q701 impressions thread
Aug 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #7,546 of 9,602
  Hi,
Just received my Q701 and really love them. Sound feels so pure and airy. I really not regret my choice.
I'm driving them with my computer soundcard, a Auzentech Home Theater HD. Sounds nice but I'm sure I can get more.

I'm looking for an external Amp/Dac and need advice. I'm actually looking 2 models :
- Yulong D200
- Asus Xonar Essence One

Reading your forum, I ask myself if O2+ODac is enough compared to models above.

What do you think, folks ? Wich one should I get to get the best from my headphones.
Regards.

You can get a used Yulong D100 for around $200-250.  I tried it back to back with my Audio-GD NFB-15.32 and they're both really good.  I kept the Audio-GD because it paired slightly better with the Q701 (the Yulong was just a tad too bright).  I suggest seeing if you can find a used NFB-15 in the low $200's.

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #7,547 of 9,602

You can get a used Yulong D100 for around $200-250.  I tried it back to back with my Audio-GD NFB-15.32 and they're both really good.  I kept the Audio-GD because it paired slightly better with the Q701 (the Yulong was just a tad too bright).  I suggest seeing if you can find a used NFB-15 in the low $200's.

Well... I was thinking about second hand stuff but I found nothing interesting around me so I gave up.
But thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye open. Pretty sure O2+Odac combo will arrive before I can try anything else.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #7,549 of 9,602
Well... I was thinking about second hand stuff but I found nothing interesting around me so I gave up.
But thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye open. Pretty sure O2+Odac combo will arrive before I can try anything else.

there's also schiit audio.
their equipment looks much nicer. not sure how they sound though, but I heard good things.

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #7,552 of 9,602
Anyone with black and white versions of the Austrian and China  made 701s give some feedback on creaking noises please?

I have the white China made ones and as you know the white is glossy plastic as ar ethe green I think. The black are in matte textured finish and don't appear to creak when pressed especially around the cable socket area.

Here's a video of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2X-kjgZXu4

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #7,555 of 9,602
Anyone with black and white versions of the Austrian and China  made 701s give some feedback on creaking noises please?

I have the white China made ones and as you know the white is glossy plastic as ar ethe green I think. The black are in matte textured finish and don't appear to creak when pressed especially around the cable socket area.

What are you doing in that video? That is anything BUT normal usage, you are attempting to break the phones in as many ways as you possibly can. Why not throw them against your desk repeatedly?

I don't see this as a manufacturing issue, but one of user abuse. You are tearing the things apart in that video, or attempting to.

I don't treat my $5 Chinese DACs or headphones as poorly as you did your $300 Q701 in your video.

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #7,556 of 9,602

You forgot to hit them with a sledgehammer!:D

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #7,557 of 9,602
What are you doing in that video? That is anything BUT normal usage, you are attempting to break the phones in as many ways as you possibly can. Why not throw them against your desk repeatedly?

I don't see this as a manufacturing issue, but one of user abuse. You are tearing the things apart in that video, or attempting to.

I don't treat my $5 Chinese DACs or headphones as poorly as you did your $300 Q701 in your video.

Erm what?

I do no such thing in the video. What I have done in it is clear to see, I simply pressed and wiggled the cable area of the headphone. If I did anything like what you're severely exaggerating they would be broken.

I suggest you stop this kind of dramatisation as it's the kind of thing I expect to see in a tabloid newspaper.

You can see from my previous photos and posts that I keep my stuff in near new condition whenever possible and any such material observations like creaking etc I notice very easily. Doesn't matter if it's a gadget, a car or whatever. If there is a noise I will hear it and I will try to figure out where it is coming from by poking around. That doesn't mean I'm going to break anything like you're suggesting.

And  then there's the fact that you use more force in disconnecting the cable itself than the force I used in the video just wiggling bits around.

Lord.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #7,559 of 9,602
That's kind of what I am getting at^

I first noticed the creaking as I was putting them on my head, "weird" I thought to myself, took them off and wiggled them about and noticed they creak more than I'd have expected for a HiFi end headphone. My Sennheiser HD595/598 never creaked like this and they had their own unique faults.

It's not a major issue considering I paid £95 for these brand new and sold the X1s for almost what I paid for them. Had I paid retail price then I'd probably be a little more concerned although as I said, these sound so good and more rounded than the X1 that I don't really care that much, just wanted to state an observation.

they are Polycarbonate, they will not suddenly break from being handled as opposed to being gently caressed like a fragile baby of course :p

It is definitely the glossy plastic on my white ones that are the cause. Looking closely I can see where the cup back meets the headband hinge the plastic rubs against the other plastic causing the creaking. Everything is aligned perfectly of course and fit and finish feels as it should. Just the creaking when handled.

They sit on a Rooms Headphone stand when not in use so it's not like any adverse pressure is applied to them when not worn either.

I did increase the mic gain in the camera settings so you can hear the creaking clearer, you can probably hear the fan in the background too as a bi-product of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back