Q701 impressions thread
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #6,106 of 9,602
I'm amazed you guys find problems with lower frequencies on stock q701s

I'm amazed you don't. Most people are used to a 'thicker' sound these days, especially from the predominance of fashion headphones. Lookin' at you Dre.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #6,107 of 9,602
I'm amazed you don't. Most people are used to a 'thicker' sound these days, especially from the predominance of fashion headphones. Lookin' at you Dre.

I haven't found any problems with the lower frequencies.  Mind you, I have never lissened to "fashion" head phones in my life. 
The most fashionable headphone I ever bought was some Sony studio monitors... or perhaps my Razer Carcharias.

CarchariasRazer Carcharias

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #6,109 of 9,602

I haven't found any problems with the lower frequencies.  Mind you, I have never lissened to "fashion" head phones in my life. 
The most fashionable headphone I ever bought was some Sony studio monitors... or perhaps my Razer Carcharias.

Recently found the Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD-3, LCD-XC, Fostex TH-900 etc all have equal or more quantity of bass than the modded Q701 to my ears. It's not about being fashionably bassy but just bringing Q701s up to around the balance that these excellent other headphones have.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #6,110 of 9,602

I'm with you. Fashion has always eluded me. I'm cool with that.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #6,111 of 9,602
Recently found the Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD-3, LCD-XC, Fostex TH-900 etc all have equal or more quantity of bass than the modded Q701 to my ears. It's not about being fashionably bassy but just bringing Q701s up to around the balance that these excellent other headphones have.

Aren't all those headphones considerably more expensive than the Q's? I have my V-MODA's if i'm looking for bass anyway.

On that topic, I had to go in to hospital today and I knew I was going to be in and around the place for most of the day. I took the M-100s with me and the bass they put out made sense in a busy, noisy environment. Whereas when I'm in my own house I'll wear the Q's.

Horses for courses I guess.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #6,112 of 9,602
Aren't all those headphones considerably more expensive than the Q's?

That was exactly my point: they are very good headphones. Without the bass mod the Q701 is tonally bass-light compared to these very good headphones. With the mod, it's about the same as them.

So the aim is not to make the modded Q701 sound like Beats (and it doesn't, speaking as someone who's had the misfortune to hear a pair of Beats!)

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #6,113 of 9,602
I know that. I've told 3 people (all Philistines) that I bought 'expensive' headphones (£220 - not expensive) and they all rolled their eyes at my insanity. Then I happened to mention that they were celebrity endorsed and all of a sudden I was cool and wise. Of course they thought I'd bought one of Dr. Dre's models. As yet I haven't mentioned Quincy Jones and I don't think I'll bother. They won't know who he is anyway. :sunglasses:

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #6,114 of 9,602
I know that. I've told 3 people (all Philistines) that I bought 'expensive' headphones (£220 - not expensive) and they all rolled their eyes at my insanity. Then I happened to mention that they were celebrity endorsed and all of a sudden I was cool and wise. Of course they thought I'd bought one of Dr. Dre's models. As yet I haven't mentioned Quincy Jones and I don't think I'll bother. They won't know who he is anyway. :sunglasses:

LOL... not know who Mr. Jones is... 

I actually purchased some Beat's/Dr. Dre buds, on purpose.  I opened the box, plugged them into my NON-APPLE phone, and.... they didn't work.  At all. 
Plugged them into my computer, and... they didn't work.  At. All. 
Plugged them into my hi-fi pre-amp AND...... nothing. 

Took them back the same day.  Really, I wanted to know what all the hype was about. 

Oh well, happy with my AKG's and Senns. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #6,115 of 9,602

iBasso D12 is very small and works quite well, sounds quite good.
Sounds better than an E17 and takes SPDIF optical and Coax inputs as well as USB.

Someone is selling an iBasso D7 on the forums right now.  I thought that might be a good choice for a portable to bring to work.  How's it compare to the D12?  I'd pretty much just be using the USB connection.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #6,116 of 9,602
Someone is selling an iBasso D7 on the forums right now.  I thought that might be a good choice for a portable to bring to work.  How's it compare to the D12?  I'd pretty much just be using the USB connection.

Looks like they both use the same Wolfson WM8740 DAC.
The D7 appears to use one DAC, and seems to accept 192 kHz digital.
The D12 is a dual DAC configuration, but doesn't seem to accept 192 kHz digital.
The iBasso website is not the clearest on some points.

You may be better off with the D7 if you only want a USB digital input, which is what you said you need it for.

Or you may be better off with the D12 if you want USB and SPDIF (optical and coaxial) digital inputs, if you ever decide to use it with a Blu Ray player, etc.

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #6,117 of 9,602
Hey guys,

So my Philips Fidelio X1 cans finally came in.  My first impressions after listening to the Q701 exclusively for a month?  Uncontrolled bass that bled over the mids and highs that felt... flat?  recessed?

After spending more time with them, I came to appreciate them more.  The bass is pretty heavy but it's not that bad.  It's just that the mids feel like they're recessed behind the bass.  The highs are nice and detailed but they just don't have the sparkle of the Q701.  Soundstage is a little smaller, more intimate, but by no means small.

It's a great can overall, but it never game me the sense of hearing my music again for the first time like the Q701 did.  Going back to the Q makes the bass seem practically non-existent and the highs feel a little TOO sparkly.  I've basically found myself in a place where I want something in between.  The Q701 with a bit more bass (but not as much as the X1) and a bit less treble (but not as little as the X1).

Someone suggested I try putting the K702 Anniversary pads (memory foam) on the Q701.  I read Chicolm's thread on it and it sounds like this may be closer to what I'm looking for.  Anyone tried either the X1 or the Annie pads on the Q or both?  Anyone tried the Annie pads WITH the bass mod?

Thoughts?  Hopes?  Dreams?

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #6,118 of 9,602
Have you tried the bass mod on the Qs? It will probably get you more towards your in-between sound.

Some have said that both Annie and bass mod for the Q701 together makes the sound quality drop.

It's a great can overall, but it never game me the sense of hearing my music again for the first time like the Q701 did.  Going back to the Q makes the bass seem practically non-existent and the highs feel a little TOO sparkly.  I've basically found myself in a place where I want something in between.  The Q701 with a bit more bass (but not as much as the X1) and a bit less treble (but not as little as the X1).

Someone suggested I try putting the K702 Anniversary pads (memory foam) on the Q701.  I read Chicolm's thread on it and it sounds like this may be closer to what I'm looking for.  Anyone tried either the X1 or the Annie pads on the Q or both?  Anyone tried the Annie pads WITH the bass mod?

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #6,119 of 9,602
  Have you tried the bass mod on the Qs? It will probably get you more towards your in-between sound.

Some have said that both Annie and bass mod for the Q701 together makes the sound quality drop.

I haven't yet because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep or sell them.  I'll probably try the bass mod tonight to see how it goes.  If I decide I can live with it, maybe I'll sell the X1 and buy some Annie pads for further tweaking.  *shrug*

@Zorrofox did you do the bass mod yet?

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6,120 of 9,602
Okay, I just did the mod.  Not being able to hear it back to back with myself, I had to do a back to back with the X1.

I must say, the bass is significantly more present, yet without feeling overpowering.  The X1 feels even... deeper and more expansive, but the Q's have a little more... control and tact?  I don't feel like the bass is basically non-existent when I compare the two anymore.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased.  I suspect I may be selling off the X1 and keeping the Q701 for a while.  Heck, I may even just get those Annie pads to see how they are since the X1 will free up some budget.

Also, it's pretty clear from listening back to back that the Q could use some amping.  I'll probably just pull the trigger on something cheap and reliable like a used C5 or E12 to start with and go from there.  Having a starting point for comparison seems to make the shopping/decision-making  go smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back