Q701 impressions thread
Mar 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #5,956 of 9,602
I don't know about you guys, but I am loving my Annie pads on my q701!!

Do your "annie" pads look more like doughnuts are are they the K712 type versions with the taller (and thinner) walls?
See here for pictures of differences:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread/4380#post_9915401

I don't like the older flatter Annie pads on MY Q701 at all (stock or modded) but the K712 (newer) pads should be OK.

I don't think the K712 pads will work well on a modded Q701.

I think that a modded Q701 and stock pads will have about the same amount of bass as a stock Q701 + K712 pads.

Pretty close..

K712 pads + modded Q701 was warmth overdose. Since the K712 was a loaner I could not experiment much.

For me the K712 pads were way less likely to go flat than the Annie pads. The Annie pads when warmed up go flatter and would annoy parts of my ear.

The Annie's gave me several symptoms of K601 pads but with extra bass.

EDIT:

They should make a Q701 SE/V2 for a LITTLE extra and have it include K712 pads. I bet it would sound really good! They could even chop off those bumps.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #5,957 of 9,602

Do your "annie" pads look more like doughnuts are are they the K712 type versions with the taller (and thinner) walls?

I don't like the older flatter Annie pads on MY Q701 at all (stock or modded) but the K712 (newer) pads should be OK.

I think that a modded Q701 and stock pads will have about the same amount of bass as a stock Q701 + K712 pads.

Pretty close..

K712 pads + modded Q701 was warmth overdose. Since the K712 was a loaner I could not experiment much.

For me the K712 pads were way less likely to go flat than the Annie pads. The Annie pads when warmed up go flatter and would annoy parts of my ear.

How are the k712 pads on an unmodded Q701?

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5,958 of 9,602
@ Soundsgoodtome

I've had my eye on Schiit since they first started, they're stuff looks gorgeous and the Vale would sit nicely under the right side of my telly. My Mac mini already sits to the left. It would look great and probably sound it.

However I can only look at portables right now as, although we're living in Scotland right now, there's a 50/50 chance we'll be moving over to live in Avignon in France. Good call though and they'll ship to France as easily as Scotland.

As far as the E18 is concerned this to first time I've ever had to use hi-gain. The thing is I've no terms of reference. The Fiio might be doing a great job here for all I know. And of course the cans still have to burn-in some more so I have a level playing field.

Trouble is I don't know anyone near me who wouldn't think I'm insane for spending anything at all on headphones when they're already supplied with the mobile phone. Seriously. My mother-in-law has spent most of her time in my company barely resisting shaking her head all the time. And I'm talking nearly 25 years!

@ Chris

I like the look of iBasso gear generally. I'll need to check the dimensions of the Anaconda though as it will have to match up to my phone. It is a big phone though so there's plenty of scope. Thanks.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5,959 of 9,602
  How are the k712 pads on an unmodded Q701?

I wish I knew. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to try this. My Q701 was modded at the time I borrowed the K712.

Hopefully someone can do this..

Like I mentioned in the post, I bet you it will sound very close close to the modded Q701, but maybe even better?

I want to buy some K712 pads, but don't want to spend $70 or wait 3 months.

Another idea I had is that I could probably tune the modded Q701 to sound good with K712 pads (tall wall version).
I guess it's all about limiting the air that gets to the driver.

It sounded just way too congested and warmer than even the HD-650. Kind of was addicting for rock music though.

Mar 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #5,960 of 9,602

Like I mentioned in the post, I bet you it will sound very close close to the modded Q701, but maybe even better?

That's what I'm hoping for. Looks like I'll have to wait further. Darn those pads are expensive!

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #5,962 of 9,602
I've had these headphones on now for the best part of 8 hours and something's just struck me. I haven't touched the EQ on my E18 once. I've switched the bass boost on a few times but otherwise the EQ has remained flat. With other headphones I'm usually tweaking here and there. Strange. Anyway, time for lights out and some John Martyn I think.

Mar 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #5,963 of 9,602

Pretty close..

EDIT:

They should make a Q701 SE/V2 for a LITTLE extra and have it include K712 pads. I bet it would sound really good! They could even chop off those bumps.

They are the flatter doughnut ones. From what I read I would have liked these for my needs anyways, but my q701's are unmodded, so that would make a difference in my opinion. Modded could sound too muddy.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5,966 of 9,602
Still listening to my new baby. It could be me but I'm finding them very harsh sometimes. They're certainly very revealing when given a poor recording (or master or whatever the term is). However, anything involving Paul Simon sounds incredible.

The biggest problem for me is turning out to be something I didn't foresee at all. I have to wear glasses for reading and either the glasses or the cups creak quite disconcertingly. I'd also like to find someone on here (preferably in Scotland or UK who'd be able to shorten one of the cables for me. The length of even the shortest one is way too much. There's shorter versions on eBay but I have a perfectly good cable right here so why not use it? Anyone know anybody who be up for it?

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #5,967 of 9,602
After living with HD650 for almost a year I also found Q701 to be rather harsh. But now, my ears have adapted. Interestingly, HD650 don't sound that weird after listening to Q701. My brain probably developed Q701 "listening mode" and switches back to HD650 "listening mode" very quickly.

HQ recordings like Chesky's really shine on Q701. No harshness at all. And the soundstage is beautiful. So much space. HD650 sounds a bit congested in comparison.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #5,968 of 9,602
Still listening to my new baby. It could be me but I'm finding them very harsh sometimes. They're certainly very revealing when given a poor recording (or master or whatever the term is). However, anything involving Paul Simon sounds incredible.

The biggest problem for me is turning out to be something I didn't foresee at all. I have to wear glasses for reading and either the glasses or the cups creak quite disconcertingly. I'd also like to find someone on here (preferably in Scotland or UK who'd be able to shorten one of the cables for me. The length of even the shortest one is way too much. There's shorter versions on eBay but I have a perfectly good cable right here so why not use it? Anyone know anybody who be up for it?

They are revealing of bad recordings, that is very true. On a good recording they are amazing though. They harshness should clear up a little bit with break in. Another part of the issue could be the volume level. I think they really excel at low to moderate volume, but are really are not the right type of sound for extended high volume listening. 

You could always take the cable you have and braid it to be shorter. That is what I did, and I have seen many others do the same. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #5,969 of 9,602

my new cable from plussound audio, great work as always

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,970 of 9,602
It's definitely not harsh with good recordings but I'm constantly having to re-order what recordings I had previously regarded as good, if you know what I mean. For instance, Roger Waters album Radio Kaos I was really looking forward to but eugh! Far too bright IMO. Which is not the way it sounds through my loudspeakers.

I looked into braiding the cable and watched the YouTube video and was going to do it after dinner but through my dinner (yes, still wearing these cans) I was reading up on braiding and some people saying that technically it wasn't a good idea to braid cables. I can see that actually. I know people who've done it will say it makes absolutely no difference and I believe that too but still, it'll be in the back of my mind, niggling away at me. I'm like that.

I did read that these (either the K's or the Q's I can't remember -info overload) were not good for electronic music. This is absolutely not the case! I can't stress that enough. As long as it's well mastered these are majestic. I'm saving Yello (my favourite artists) for later but right now I'm listening to Royksöpp and it sounds utterly fabulous.

Now, here's an interesting technical fact you can take to the bank...

This is my system at present:FLAC > Samsung Galaxy Note 3 > Neutron MP > Fiio E18 > AKG Q701.

I have put roughly 16 hours on the cans since breaking the seal on the box yesterday. Yesterday the only way I could get adequate volume was to use the high gain position and turning the volume to 7/10 on the E18. Today I wouldn't dream of using high gain and on low gain I have the volume at 6/10. Same music, same software, same EQ(flat). Bass boost on the amp set to On all the time.

Fact. No idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back