Q701 impressions thread
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #3,451 of 9,602
is there any other option you'd recommend that isn't too expensive?
also, would an amp alone make these headphones sound good without a dac? I'm not too concerned about portability.

A DAC is a Digital-to-Analogue Converter. Technically, if you're listening to digital music (CDs, MP3, AAC, etc), you ALWAYS need a DAC, but the good news is that most sources include a DAC... any portable with a headphone jack such as an iPod or Walkman CD player, most modern computers have DACs built-in to their motherboard, etc.

The DAC built-in to an iPod is already of pretty good quality. I use my iPod Video (old model) with my AKGs all the time. You could plug the Q701 directly into an iPod headphone jack and get plenty of volume. However, from experience, having enough volume(voltage?) isn't the same as having a more refined amp and enough current, and without an extra amp the Q701 sounds only a little better than iBuds, bass and mids don't hit firmly and sound thin while treble will more often sound peaky and irritating. What I do, is I have a cheap Line-Out Dock Connector (FiiO L11, about $11, gets the analogue audio directly out from the iPod's DAC) connected to an external amp (not sure about a cheap one, I guess the FiiO E11 gets my best recommendation for as cheap as I'd bother with, or more expensive amps), which then connects to the Q701. With a better amp, the headphones sound more solid and add weight to the bass and mids, everything (and importantly Treble) becomes more controlled, and the presentation of details and soundstage become more apparent.

Headphones (and songs at least 128 Kbps AAC, higher of course is better with decreasing gains, 256-320 AAC is a good sweet-spot) make the most difference, amps make a little less but eventually you'll need more power to mate up with the headphone, and DACs do make a little difference in resolution and FWIR sweetness of presentation, but a DAC is the last thing I'd worry about upgrading unless the one you have is complete cheap garbage (most PC motherboard built-in DACs, especially cheap laptops and netbooks). All the above is subject to diminishing returns as you spend more, you'll have to decide your own "sweet spot" for cost Vs. value.

IMO, for a gamer, especially if you have console and PC, having a kit consisting of Q701, FiiO E11 or better yet E09k desktop amp, and Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D USB (the USB model that can process surround sound for BOTH PC and console, including all necessary cables) represents high value and is very impressive, you wouldn't be compelled to spend more unless you'd rather spend your hobby money on testing equipment than buying new games.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3,454 of 9,602
Got the O2 in and so far so good. It's not thin/tinny/harsh at all. Don't know if I could suggest it for the Q701 yet since it's still early. Definitely drives the Q701 with ease and manages to sound good. It doesn't seem to sound like it sucks any warmth out of the Q701. No lack of bass or anything. Sounds pretty crystal clear without extra treble non-sense. When switching between the Modi and Fiio E17 DACs it's pretty easy to hear the differences with the O2 (just like with my Micro). E17 still has a little more warmth than the Modi, but Modi still sounds better. With the O2 all my music sounds like it always has with the Q701. Some minor differences.

It seems that the O2 is more similar to my Headroom Micro Amp than the Magni. Maybe i'd fail a blind test between the O2 and Micro Amp. BTW you can call me nuts if you want, but I'm gladly pay another $50 for an O2 that had the inputs on the back of the unit. Yeah..sort of nit-picking. Don't think i'll be doing any A/B testing with my other amp. Only thing that sticks out is that maybe the O2 has a tad more treble presence. Probably not. The Micro certainly has no lack of treble and it's not rolled off at 10khz etc. Maybe there are some differences in the soundstage.

Oh and of course very harsh/bright tracks still can sound a tiny bit fatiguing on the Q701+O2 and Modi. No surprise there. With the E17 they bother me less.

Can't say it enough but the O2 sounds crystal clear with the Q701 and Modi. Depends on the tracks though.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #3,455 of 9,602
I used to own the K701 and that was fantastic... ever since I sold that I've been missing that sound!

Recently I found an amazing deal on Amazon from a seller for $135! I finally got it and unboxed it. I am very happy!

Now I own the K550 and Q701. I feel so completed with the sound I am getting from these two. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3,456 of 9,602
Got the O2 in and so far so good. It's not thin/tinny/harsh at all. Don't know if I could suggest it for the Q701 yet since it's still early. Definitely drives the Q701 with ease and manages to sound good. It doesn't seem to sound like it sucks any warmth out of the Q701. No lack of bass or anything. Sounds pretty crystal clear without extra treble non-sense. When switching between the Modi and Fiio E17 DACs it's pretty easy to hear the differences with the O2 (just like with my Micro). E17 still has a little more warmth than the Modi, but Modi still sounds better. With the O2 all my music sounds like it always has with the Q701. Some minor differences.

It seems that the O2 is more similar to my Headroom Micro Amp than the Magni. Maybe i'd fail a blind test between the O2 and Micro Amp. BTW you can call me nuts if you want, but I'm gladly pay another $50 for an O2 that had the inputs on the back of the unit. Yeah..sort of nit-picking. Don't think i'll be doing any A/B testing with my other amp. Only thing that sticks out is that maybe the O2 has a tad more treble presence. Probably not. The Micro certainly has no lack of treble and it's not rolled off at 10khz etc. Maybe there are some differences in the soundstage.

Oh and of course very harsh/bright tracks still can sound a tiny bit fatiguing on the Q701+O2 and Modi. No surprise there. With the E17 they bother me less.

Can't say it enough but the O2 sounds crystal clear with the Q701 and Modi. Depends on the tracks though.

I was going to go with E09K to pair it with E07K but in the end I've pulled the trigger on the diy kit of the O2 as I've always wanted to relearn (did it long ago) how to solder and this way upgrade later to the ODAC combo. Can't wait for it to arrive.

So far I can say the Q701 is very impressive even only paired with the E07K. I bet the sound will improve with the O2 and even more with the ODAC upgrade. I only hope to be able to assemble it. :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #3,458 of 9,602
Just picked up the Q701 for around 230 - 240$ (That is insanely cheap here). I saw an advertisement by pure luck, called and they had one left. So I asked if I could leave work for 10 minutes to pick them up and I did.

First impression is not the best, it seems like they're not that great out of the box, I used my BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm for about 10 minutes before plugging these in and I am not impressed.. I haven't read through this thread but after what I've seen from someone else's first impression is that they are pretty **** the first few hours, but gets a lot better after you've played them for a while. Is this true? I hope so because otherwise I'll probably return them.

So now I'll just hope it gets better with every hour :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #3,459 of 9,602
Quote:
Just picked up the Q701 for around 230 - 240$ (That is insanely cheap here). I saw an advertisement by pure luck, called and they had one left. So I asked if I could leave work for 10 minutes to pick them up and I did.

First impression is not the best, it seems like they're not that great out of the box, I used my BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm for about 10 minutes before plugging these in and I am not impressed.. I haven't read through this thread but after what I've seen from someone else's first impression is that they are pretty **** the first few hours, but gets a lot better after you've played them for a while. Is this true? I hope so because otherwise I'll probably return them.

Thats not true in my experience, they don't change much at all with time. In fact, I'd argue not at all. Mine sound exactly the same now as they did when they were new, even if there are some changes in sound, they happen in the first hour or so of playing, after that not much else.  What amp are you using?  DT990Pro's almost dont care at all what you plug them into, Q701 very much do.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #3,460 of 9,602
Got any recommendations for a amp then? I am currently running only with my Asus Xonar Essence STX.
So that is probably the problem.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #3,461 of 9,602
Quote:

What's wrong with their sound out of the box? Anything lacking? Maybe you just won't like the Q701 sound and require more bass? Supposedly that soundcard is fine with the Q701 but I haven't tried it.

If you don't like the Q701 chances are that an amp won't make you like it more, but it's always possible.

I didn't hear any differences between out of the box and after 1000+ hours. Something could have changed but they always sounded good.

As for amps, my favorite is the Headroom Micro. The E9 and O2 also seem good. I only have 4 hours on the O2 but I'm loving it so far. The E9 does seem a bit warmer than the others though.

I think MLE said recently that getting the E9 is pointless if you have the STX. Not really sure though.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #3,462 of 9,602
Something about the treble.. It's just so.. Sharp? Maybe it's just that I am so used to the DT 990's.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #3,463 of 9,602
Would the E11 be sufficient for this?

I have the e11 and it sounds fine but it really doesn't compare to my aune t1(though that also has a dac). The overall sound to me was more warm and slightly muffled (its really not that bad but compared to the t1). The e11 also seems to make it a little bit bassier oddly enough even without thr bass boost on. The sound stage isn't huge either but for a $45 amp it works pretty well.

For gaming i generally do use the e11 for bf3... You should be fine-the sound stage isnt huge but detail is good enough to hear people behind you and positional accuracy is pretty good too. Ive turned around and just killed people trying to knife me... Its pretty easy actually with these.

Havent actually tries the t1 for gaming since Im tooo lazy to lug that thing upstairs to my gaming desktop since i usually listen to music on my laptop.

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #3,464 of 9,602
Quote:
Something about the treble.. It's just so.. Sharp? Maybe it's just that I am so used to the DT 990's.

That is very strange. Shouldn't be like that. Even more strange considering the DT-990 is supposed to have even MORE treble.
Sometimes when the Q701 isn't amped well enough it is a bit more fatiguing/harsh than it should be.

It's also a little thinner sounding than it normally is when I use it with a weak portable player etc. STX seems like it should be perfect with it, but maybe not. Wish I could help more.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3,465 of 9,602
I am not sure man, maybe it's not the treble... It does sound really thin, like ****. It feels wierd, but It's probably that I am just so used to the DT 990. I will try it on my stereo receiver later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back