Q701 impressions thread
May 17, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3,031 of 9,603
Actually, I'm not getting the IEMs anymore. I'm getting the HA-S500s, A bass-leaning can for portability. I think these 2 will compliment each other way better.

Edit: Oh no, I just called it a can... oh no.. I'm being converted into an audiophile ;_;

LoL, it's not the end of the world man, and you're in good company (that will make you spend a lot of money)

May 20, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #3,032 of 9,603
I'm slightly starting to have doubts about using these as mixing/mastering headphones. These will be great for that purpose, right? I've been seeing different reviews and comparisons involving the DT880s and how they handle those things better. Are these the best choice for those purposes of being detail and imaging? I'd assume these are better for sound stage, but I really don't know what to go with for music production...

May 20, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #3,033 of 9,603
Quote:
I'm slightly starting to have doubts about using these as mixing/mastering headphones. These will be great for that purpose, right? I've been seeing different reviews and comparisons involving the DT880s and how they handle those things better. Are these the best choice for those purposes of being detail and imaging? I'd assume these are better for sound stage, but I really don't know what to go with for music production...

K702 were designed for studio use and mastering, by AKG.  That's all you need to know.

May 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #3,034 of 9,603
Quote:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan10/articles/studioheadphones.htm

The DT 880s seem to be more highly-regarded than the AKGs for that purpose, though this is from SoS so YMMV.

Personally the only true strength I feel the AKGs have over the DT 880s is faster leading transient response (i.e. snappier attack). I prefer the Beyerdynamics in every other regard, including soundstage. The Q701s had an extreme left/right soundstage, where the DT 880 felt more accurate and precise with the imaging in a slightly narrower projection.

The JH13 Pros being my personal reference, I feel the Q701s are somewhat farther from neutrality and accuracy than the DT 880s are.

Taken on its own, I feel the main weakness of the Q701 is an extreme roll-off in sub-bass response.

May 20, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3,035 of 9,603
Oh no!

The Q701 vs. DT880 debate starts again!
Please don't ask which one's brighter! :p

May 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #3,036 of 9,603
Quote:
Oh no!

The Q701 vs. DT880 debate starts again!
Please don't ask which one's brighter!
tongue.gif

Well, that would be the DT800, right?   
deadhorse.gif

May 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,037 of 9,603
Another very important question is which one works better for music, especially for orchestral and edm? I dont know if you can even answer that for me because i can eq my headphones in anyway and still enjoy the music... Ugh I thought I had this figured
out!

Edit: would whatever the equivalent dt880 in price work with a E11 anyways? and would that edition sound better then the q701s?

May 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #3,038 of 9,603
Another satisfied owner of Q701. :)
Mine has been on for about 50 hours.
When it was brand new, A/B with my K550. As expected, the sound was not good compared to a well seasoned K550.
Sound was veiled, Lacking in details.....
Currently, it has already surpassed the K550 in detail and improving.
The sound and hit-hat and cymbal are more real than K550.

This will be the pair for private listening as it would be quite disturbing to others on the other side of the ear piece.
The K550 will be the pair on the go.

May 20, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #3,039 of 9,603
I... Hmm... This is such a hard choice! I don't know what I want... I LOVE upper mids. I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy music without that awesome bump on the DT880s... But at the same time, I do kind of want sub bass. Then again, I've never experience good midbass, so maybe I can replace my liking for sub bass with midbass? Ugh, this is going to be a hard decision...

May 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #3,043 of 9,603
Well most people don't seem to like stronger treble, so maybe the 701s are something spicy?
Edit: I definitely wouldn't consider extra treble spicy, I love treble.
Edit2: I still think I want the 701s. Hopefully I'll be able to listen to some choices at the meet up in Dallas.

May 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,044 of 9,603
Quote:

Well, that would be the DT800, right?   
deadhorse.gif

yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back