Q701 impressions thread
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #2,326 of 9,602
Quote:
Is anyone running the Q701 with the O2 amp? What range is your volume adjustment knob usually set to for regular listening?

Not me, but you should be aware that the strength of the signal that the DAC puts out also matters a lot in this question.

Jan 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2,328 of 9,602
I've had my Q701 for just over 2 months now and I still love it. I use it for mostly prog rock, prog metal, and ambient electronic music and it does great. Definitely the most perfect headphone I've heard, and a steal at the current price they go for.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #2,330 of 9,602
Q701 is a great headphone that even has some HD650 like qualities in the bass region. In fact, overall I'd rate the bass performance above the HD650's, but with the caveat that the overall bass presentation and quantity is better in the HD650's. Bass is more tuneful and well defined on the AKG's with surprising body and heft on some songs. The HD650's best them on many songs because the bass is like a lush cradle for the music. Personally I would rate the Q701's way above the HD650's on value for the dollar ($230 vs $499) and about on par in terms of absolute performance. 

I've been finding that the Q701's are less amp dependent than some headphones and more source dependent. These things are really very resolving, and unforgiving of poor recordings especially in the treble region. They're less fun headphones, and more serious headphones. They can be a tad ruthless. On highly dynamic amplifiers I find they get fatiguing very fast and tend to be a little too hot in the treble region. On smoother more delicate sounding amps they sing. 

They're a little bit of a conundrum because they're one of the cheaper high-end headphones out there but so resolving as to require a fair investment in your source, both recordings and equipment. But, it's a nice headphone and I think underrated.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,332 of 9,602
Jan 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #2,333 of 9,602
Q701 is a great headphone that even has some HD650 like qualities in the bass region. In fact, overall I'd rate the bass performance above the HD650's, but with the caveat that the overall bass presentation and quantity is better in the HD650's. Bass is more tuneful and well defined on the AKG's with surprising body and heft on some songs. The HD650's best them on many songs because the bass is like a lush cradle for the music. Personally I would rate the Q701's way above the HD650's on value for the dollar ($230 vs $499) and about on par in terms of absolute performance. 

I've been finding that the Q701's are less amp dependent than some headphones and more source dependent. These things are really very resolving, and unforgiving of poor recordings especially in the treble region. They're less fun headphones, and more serious headphones. They can be a tad ruthless. On highly dynamic amplifiers I find they get fatiguing very fast and tend to be a little too hot in the treble region. On smoother more delicate sounding amps they sing. 

They're a little bit of a conundrum because they're one of the cheaper high-end headphones out there but so resolving as to require a fair investment in your source, both recordings and equipment. But, it's a nice headphone and I think underrated.

The Q701 does not fit my personal tastes that well but I consider the above to be a very accurate assessment of it and the HD650.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #2,334 of 9,602
i much prefer tube amps with the q701. 
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #2,335 of 9,602
I mainly listen to Jrock/indie/dubstep, will they fit me?
i don't mind if they have less bass quantity, i just want the bass to present and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back