Q-Jays are back.
May 25, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #271 of 456
Went in for that 10% and price drop also.

Have to say, I DGAF about packaging as long as it protects what it's holding, but this is some ridiculously over the top stuff lol.

SQ seems great so far,  I think on par with the other dual BA's I've had and liked a lot- ath-IM02 and ZA Carbo Doppio, but in a nicer & much smaller shell- wouldn't mind a slightly sharper nozzle angle but fairly comfortable.

Unfortunately am getting bit of a sibilant peak/resonance thing going on... will have to do some tip rolling to see if that helps as it often does.

Saw some people talking about the Shure Olives- they fit on these nozzles without modification? Might have to order a package of those. I have some ortofon, sony hybrids and earsonics tips I think will fit as well once I get back.

May 25, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #272 of 456
Yeah Shure tips fit - you just have to jam them on.  The peak you're talking about is at 7 kHz.  Two things you can do if it is sibilant - insert a little deeper, or simply EQ the peak back a little bit.

May 25, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #273 of 456

Have to say, I DGAF about packaging as long as it protects what it's holding, but this is some ridiculously over the top stuff lol.

SQ seems great so far,  I think on par with the other dual BA's I've had and liked a lot- ath-IM02 and ZA Carbo Doppio, but in a nicer & much smaller shell- wouldn't mind a slightly sharper nozzle angle but fairly comfortable.

Unfortunately am getting bit of a sibilant peak/resonance thing going on... will have to do some tip rolling to see if that helps as it often does.

Saw some people talking about the Shure Olives- they fit on these nozzles without modification? Might have to order a package of those. I have some ortofon, sony hybrids and earsonics tips I think will fit as well once I get back.

I use Comply P-type Large (Black). The foam overhang seems to smooth out excessive highs... just slightly.

May 26, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #274 of 456

Oh, I didn't know the Carbo Doppio was a dual-BA in-ear. Nice to know. 
smile.gif

As for the sibilance: if you like foam tips, go the foam tips route. What you could try as well is deeper insertion and probably SpinFit tips (personally, I am really no fan of the SpinFit tips with most in-ears as they don't "work as advertised" with all models that give me a good fit and angle - only with bad fitting in-ears (angle-wise), which are the vast minority, they "work as advertised") as I've found them to reduce all the upper end in my ears with most in-ears.

May 26, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #275 of 456
I use Comply P-type Large (Black). The foam overhang seems to smooth out excessive highs... just slightly.

Oh, I didn't know the Carbo Doppio was a dual-BA in-ear. Nice to know. :smile:  

As for the sibilance: if you like foam tips, go the foam tips route. What you could try as well is deeper insertion and probably SpinFit tips (personally, I am really no fan of the SpinFit tips with most in-ears as they don't "work as advertised" with all models that give me a good fit and angle - only with bad fitting in-ears (angle-wise), which are the vast minority, they "work as advertised") as I've found them to reduce all the upper end in my ears with most in-ears.

Agreed Comply isolation foam tips and slightly deeper insertion worked for the slight sibilance issue.

May 28, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #276 of 456
Oh, I didn't know the Carbo Doppio was a dual-BA in-ear. Nice to know. :smile:  

Heres thing i have found with COmply foam tips is that they don't last long with daily use.THey seem to get frayed and fall apart. SO im averaging using new ones every few weeks.

May 28, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #277 of 456
Try using Shure Olives.

May 28, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #279 of 456
Thanks for y'alls suggestions, unfortunately I can't wear IEMs particularly deep & other silicone tips weren't much help with the Q-Jays, however, as suggested the foams have been good at reducing most of the sibilance... generally dislike foams but will definitely order some Olives to give a go.

I think it's worth it for the sound and almost ideal form-factor - wish they had been released at the same time as the IM02... would have saved me a lot of needless earphone hunting and $$$, I think (IM02 would have been it as well, had they fit comfortably), but now I'm too far gone
rolleyes.gif

Oh, I didn't know the Carbo Doppio was a dual-BA in-ear. Nice to know. 
smile.gif

Yep! A nice set if you can cope with the large housings, for only $120 which is very competitive (well, at least until all those <$100 three driver hybrids...). Now I need to try Duoza... eager to see what ZA make next.

PS Anyone find the cable a little bit short?  I'm not tall, but cable's not quite long enough to wear behind-ear style with DAP in pocket.

May 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #280 of 456
Looking to demo them again.
Anyone AB with LimeEars 2, StageDiver 2?

May 29, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #281 of 456
Looking to demo them again.
Anyone AB with LimeEars 2, StageDiver 2?

Comparisons to the StageDiver 2 can be found in my review:

InEar StageDiver SD-2:
The SD-2 (~€380) is the UIEM version of the LivePro 2 custom in-ears and uses two BA transducers in two-way configuration and a back-vented woofer. Its tonal signature is fairly balanced with a little more warmth and thickness than neutral and a smooth treble that has got a surprising extension for a BA-based dual-driver. Due to its back-vented woofer, lows don’t have the typical clinical character BA woofers often have, but are rather what would be considered as “natural” by many, with a softer impact. The in-ears’ striking strength is definitely their widely extending, three-dimensional soundstage that reminds me of some more expensive and custom in-ears, with a superb instrument separation, -placement, precision and a huge authenticity.
-
This is a fairer comparison as both in-ears share similarities in terms of pricing, technical level and sound. Both in-ears share some similarities regarding tonality, though the SD-2 has got the thicker midrange and is more in the background in the treble department.
Both in-ears’ resolution doesn’t differ much, although I would say the SD-2 is slightly better resolving in the upper mids, whereas the q-JAYS are a bit better in the treble, bass and the rest of the mids. The Jays’ back-venting for the woofer is done better, as the Swedes have the more arid impact, are quicker, more precise and maintain the better control with fast music (which is one reason why I don’t like the SD-2 with fast and complex music that much – with the q-JAYS however, fast music with many quick bass punches works out much better).
The SD-2’s soundstage is very holographic and has got a stunning layering. The Jays' is a bit less airy and spacious, though not that far behind.
In terms of authenticity and soundstage, I would say that the SD-2 is ahead (though with a quite small distance), but the q-JAYS are the winners regarding precision, resolution and control.

SD2 = more authentic soundtsage and general authenticity, q-JAYS = better detail retrieval and more arid, quicker bass

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #282 of 456
Can someone advise me- I find the included foams tips a good fit so what is the closest corresponding Shure olive size?

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #283 of 456
All the Olives have the same size stem.  So what you are looking for is the appropriate size foam for your ears.  S, M or L.  q-Jays came with those 3 options in Comply as well.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #284 of 456
  All the Olives have the same size stem.  So what you are looking for is the appropriate size foam for your ears.  S, M or L.  q-Jays came with those 3 options in Comply as well.

Thanks, though was not referring to the stem size. My q-Jays only came with one foam tip set of unspecified size (and five silicone sets)- I was wondering what Olive closest approximates that unknown size. Guessing it's medium Comply? I'll just take a blind shot at the medium olives.

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #285 of 456
I do believe q-JAYS 2 only comes with a pair of M size Comply. The corresponding olive size is of course M size as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back