Q: Is it possible to get really good quality noise cancelling over ears?
Sep 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

surreysteve

New Head-Fier
Hiya

Looking for some advice.

I have In ears (Sennheiser IE80) and over-ears Phillips Fidelio X2 (Open back). These are combined with my A&K Ak70 MkII. NB I also use the balanced output from the AK70 for the Sennheisers with a Moon audio cable.

The good news is I love the sound of both the Sennheisers and Phillips ..........but not so much my Beyer DT770 Pro 250Ohm which are my over ear closed-back option. I tend to like the warm sound of Sennheisers in general as a preference but the Phillips are lovely and warm too.

Maybe this is a silly question but would people expect the sound quality difference to be so obvious with the Beyers?

In any case, what closed-ear over ears alternatives would people suggest to match with the AK70 MkII (Ideally with option for a balanced cable) ....The aim is obviously to limit sound leakage in environments when it would be anti-social. I have had some already mention the Shure SRH1540.

Price range would be £3-450 ideally .....but maybe more if something really good.

All advice welcomed?

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Apologies for the title.

After doing a little more reading up on terminology I realise I did not mean "Noise cancelling" which is an active technology but rather looking for over ear headphones that minimise sound leakage for using in "quiet" environments where it would be irritating to others

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 8
If you are expecting to pair over-ears with an AK70, then your choices are pretty limited as the output power is not sufficient...maybe only the Japanese low-impedance, high-sensitivity ones can do.
Since you are using a portable dap, why not buy an IEM instead? Think that will make you look less "anti-social" than wearing an over-ear. At this price range maybe look at the iBasso IT04?

Sep 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 8
If you are expecting to pair over-ears with an AK70, then your choices are pretty limited as the output power is not sufficient...maybe only the Japanese low-impedance, high-sensitivity ones can do.
Since you are using a portable dap, why not buy an IEM instead? Think that will make you look less "anti-social" than wearing an over-ear. At this price range maybe look at the iBasso IT04?

Idk daps would an aeon closed work? 13 ohm 93db

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Idk daps would an aeon closed work? 13 ohm 93db
I mean, portable daps could work if you just want to compromise, like if you want to take your aeon out one day. I won't recommend getting something like aeon just to pair a dap. Even if you do that, to get a sufficient output you want to look for those Chinese daps such as ones from Cayin, L&P, or ibasso. The AK family, especially something like ak70 is definitely not the choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back