Q Cable Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #498 of 555
The headphone adapters use very short lengths (about an inch or so) of high quality Mogami wire. The advantage is that it allows direct termination to the microscopically small pins on the HD-800 connector. I don't think people realize just how incredibly tiny they are.

se

May 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #499 of 555
Several years ago, a guitarist friend likes the vintage look of our cables, which at the time were made using cotton and included some different colored "tracer" threads. He asked if I could use our cable to make him some guitar cables. He was about to go on tour and wanted it to have a "vintage vibe" (vintage guitars, amps, clothing).

I explained that our cable wouldn't make a very good guitar cable. Because of the extremely high output impedances of guitar pickups (which can be upwards of 20,000 ohms), you really need a cable with a full electrostatic shield to keep noise pickup as low as possible.

So the solution was to buy some high quality Mogami insrument cable and send it up to our braiders and have it braided over using the same cotton used for our cable sleeving.

I made two versions. A brown braid with two golden yellow tracers, which matched the braid of our cables, and one using a brown braid but with eight golden yellow tracers, which duplicated an old GE appliance cord from the 1950s that I had bought on eBay. While I did make a few cables using the eight tracer cable, my friend ultimately preferred the two tracer version, which left me with some of the eight tracer cable that's just been sitting here collecting dust.

Fast forward to yesterday.

I get a call from another friend asking what kind of cable he should get to connect his Burson Conductor to his active Yamaha studio monitors. The Burson only has unbalanced RCA outs. The Yamaha can accept balanced inputs by way of XLRs, and balanced and unbalanced inputs by way of a 1/4" TRS phone jack (balanced interconnection by way of 1/4" TRS is common on semi-pro gear).

So I told him he needed a cable with an RCA on one end, and a mono (TS) plug on the other.

While he was Googling to find such a cable, I was reminded of that left over eight tracer Mogami cable I had here. And since it involved both an RCA and a 1/4" plug, I could combine it with the Terrazzo barrels we use on our regular cables.

The result was beautiful.

NOTE: I have no interest or intention of making and selling cables like this. It was just the result of one favor for a friend being able to be used for another favor for another friend. I just thought the combination of Terrazzo and "appliance cord" was interesting and beautiful and wanted to show it off.

May 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #500 of 555
Yes, it is beautiful!  Like the hat on your avatar, by the way...
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #501 of 555
Yes, it is beautiful!  Like the hat on your avatar, by the way...

And the shades! Don't forget the shades! They're pretty stylin' too!

My thanks go out to fellow HeadFier @upstateguy who's been doing my makeovers for a while now and keeping me hip to the times.

Here are my humble beginnings from a 1920s Crosley radio ad. As you can see, that upstateguy is a real miracle worker.

se

May 30, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #502 of 555
Hi Steve!!

Ralf here. I have the pleasure of using a cable you once made for @Adamora and I got it in a package deal when I purchased his LCD2f 
cool.gif

I really love this cable - it's the french silk one and just from the haptic enjoyment and feeling of quality this cable gives, it's just light years ahead of most cables I tried so far..

So, thanks for making such amazing cables, the one I use is really outstanding! I have had the pleasure of using some other custom cables and I have yet to find one that reeks of quality like this one.

Thanks a lot and all the best to SoCal!!

Cheers,
Koolpep (aka Ralf)

May 30, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #503 of 555
Hi Steve!!

Ralf here. I have the pleasure of using a cable you once made for @Adamora
 and I got it in a package deal when I purchased his LCD2f :cool:

I really love this cable - it's the french silk one and just from the haptic enjoyment and feeling of quality this cable gives, it's just light years ahead of most cables I tried so far..

So, thanks for making such amazing cables, the one I use is really outstanding! I have had the pleasure of using some other custom cables and I have yet to find one that reeks of quality like this one.

Thanks a lot and all the best to SoCal!!

Hey Ralf!

Thank you for the very kind words. I'm glad you're happy with the cable!

Take good care of those LCD-2s. I know Adam was heartbroken when he parted with them.

By the way, I'm in Northern California. So that would be NoCal. :D

se

May 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #504 of 555
Hey Ralf!

Thank you for the very kind words. I'm glad you're happy with the cable!

Take good care of those LCD-2s. I know Adam was heartbroken when he parted with them.

By the way, I'm in Northern California. So that would be NoCal. :D

se

Of course, I will take very well care of them.

Sorry for the California mix up, have been to your lovely state last year and can't wait to come back....

Cheers,
Ralf

May 30, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #505 of 555
Sorry for the California mix up, have been to your lovely state last year and can't wait to come back....

Oh, no problem. When most people think of California, the first thing they think of is Los Angeles/Hollywwod, which is in the southern part of the state. And while there are some who would like to actually turn it into two or three states, California is still just one state. So it's not like I live in North Carolina and you said "all the best to South Carolina," in which you would have been referring to a completely different state instead of just a geographic location in a single state.

Have a great remainder of the weekend, Ralf!

se

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #506 of 555
I have now joined the ranks of Q cable owners and am delighted with my purchase 
biggrin.gif

I wanted a slightly smaller cable to use between my Hugo and Audeze LCD3.  It is a silk cable (of course), brown in colour and terminates with the terrazzo barrels.

First impressions was how beautiful the cable looks.  The braiding is gorgeous and the terrazzo is just stunning - and goes very well with the brown cable.

Next thing I noticed was how incredibly lightweight it is.  Not in a flimsy or "cheap" way but in a very classy way.  It reminded me of how I felt when I picked up the new Apple Macbook recently - unbelievably light but oozing quality at the same time.

I've only been using the cable a couple of hours but already it makes the slightly heavy LCDs somehow feel lighter.  The standard Audeze cable isn't a pretty thing and always felt "in the way" somehow.

Looks aside it's also a very sturdy feeling cable.  With previous custom cables I've owned I've always felt slightly concerned that sooner or later the wire might pop out unless I'm incredibly careful.  Not so here.  These cables feel like they will last longer than me.  I do however promise to still be careful with them Steve 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sound?  It sounds stunning 
smily_headphones1.gif
.  For anyone that doesn't know, Steve is big into Sound Science.  This is fantastic for anyone purchasing a Q cable because it means that he has a deep and real understanding of how this stuff works.  As a result you won't be given a thousand different cable options or told how important it is to pay a premium for 1% pixie dust in your cables in order to get the optimum sound.  This honesty was refreshing to say the least!

Then there's Steve himself.  One thing I noticed when flicking through this thread is how many people seem to love Steve as much as their cable.  I have to agree.  He's got a wonderful sense of humour and is incredibly knowledgeable.  Couple that with the most unique "sales" technique I've ever experienced and you get a genuine top bloke!
Steve, if I ever find myself in Sacramento, the beers are on me 
beerchug.gif

Cheers!

Craig

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #507 of 555
Steve, if I ever find myself in Sacramento, the beers are on me :beerchug:

Thank you for the very kind words, Craig!

If you ever find yourself in Sacramento, the beers are definitely on me. I would be a terrible host if it were otherwise. Have a wonderful little brewery with a tap room just around the corner. :beerchug:

se

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #509 of 555
You will get both yes, they will attach to the cable the same way you would to a headphone.

It's a good way to enable usage of a wide variety of cables without having to purchase doubles.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #510 of 555
Thanks! I also asked Steve and he replied over the weekend and I ordered on Sunday:). Can't wait, unfortunately it will take a little longer to deliver. Only good things to those who wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back