Q Cable Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #466 of 555
Steve,

Any thoughts on making cables for the Audeze EL-8 connector?  It's been public for almost two full days, so you must have plans by now....
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #468 of 555
Yes, I've had some thoughts. They can be summed up in one word: No.

se

I really hate how you beat around the bush and won't give a definitive answer!  That's really a secret code for "pre-orders start Monday", isn't it
tongue.gif

Is it a difficult connector to work with or is it more of an "enough of these ridiculous non standard connectors" situation?

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #469 of 555
I really hate how you beat around the bush and won't give a definitive answer!  That's really a secret code for "pre-orders start Monday", isn't it :p

No comment. :p

Is it a difficult connector to work with or is it more of an "enough of these ridiculous non standard connectors" situation?

It's just not suitable for terminating to a cable like ours. It's designed to be used with an extruded plastic cable with relatively small wires and then to be over molded.

Audeze still has four models of headphones that use the mini-XLR, so I'll just stick to making cables for those.

se

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #470 of 555
I really hate how you beat around the bush and won't give a definitive answer! That's really a secret code for "pre-orders start Monday", isn't it :p

No comment. :p

It's just not suitable for terminating to a cable like ours. It's designed to be used with an extruded plastic cable with relatively small wires and then to be over molded.

Audeze still has four models of headphones that use the mini-XLR, so I'll just stick to making cables for those.

se

Thanks for the info. It does look like a PITA to work with being molded plastic.

I'll keep using my Q for the mini-XLR Audezes despite your refusal to take more of my money :)

Jan 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #471 of 555
Thanks for the info. It does look like a PITA to work with being molded plastic.

It's a piece of cake and more efficient if you're working with more conventional cable.

I'll keep using my Q for the mini-XLR Audezes despite your refusal to take more of my money :)

I can just turn around that catch phrase, "Keep your money, please!" :D

se

Jan 8, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #473 of 555
But you will have an el8 to mini xlr adapter right? :)

I may give it some thought. But I've never been very thrilled about making adapters. Making adapters is the one time that I'm just gritting my teeth wishing I were doing something else. It's pretty soul-sucking.

se

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #474 of 555
More bad news.  I would like a set of the adapters as well. However I am not going to endanger you soul.  Temp perhaps. 

I have so many cables that I need in advance of that it will probably be 2016 before I would get around to an order, plenty of time to obtain a dental appliance to help with the teeth grinding.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #475 of 555
^^ Uh oh. Now I've started something and will likely get a nasty gram soon. Steve I apologize in advance for any trouble I may have started.
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #476 of 555
More bad news.  I would like a set of the adapters as well. However I am not going to endanger you soul.  Temp perhaps. 

I have so many cables that I need in advance of that it will probably be 2016 before I would get around to an order, plenty of time to obtain a dental appliance to help with the teeth grinding.

Ha!

Yeah, let's work on that other stuff first. No rush. Take all the time that I wan... Er, that you want. :D

se

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #478 of 555
No comment.
tongue.gif

se

I'll keep using my Q for the mini-XLR Audezes despite your refusal to take more of my money
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a piece of cake and more efficient if you're working with more conventional cable.
I can just turn around that catch phrase, "Keep your money, please!"
biggrin.gif

se

It's that D**N BMW over-engineering design philosophy striking again!  Will they never stop? 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #479 of 555
I was wondering if the q cable is a good match for the LCD-X? I've gone through the thread but didn't see much feedback regarding the X pairing. Majority of posts I saw were it is being paired up with lcd 3 and lcd 2. As such, any inputs would be great.

What I'm looking for is to tame the highs so it's smoother and not as harsh as the stock cable without losing the details. I Would also like to hear a fuller and more natural sound with extra details that the stock cable doesn't provide.

I'm currently using a hybrid 16 conductor copper and silver cable together with a chord Hugo and while it provides the body and details, the highs is a bit too bright for my taste for relax listening sessions.

Any recommendations please?

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #480 of 555
Is the cable a good match for the LCD-X? Yes. Is it going to aggressively alter the sound signature of your headphones? I don't think so.

Perhaps you should consider other components in your audio chain for your desired result.

edit: Didn't see that you're using a Hugo. Very possible you simply don't like the Hugo sound with your LCD-X. Not sure a cable is going to change that for you. Regardless, the Q is a great cable and excellent upgrade from stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back