PX100 vs. PX 200
Dec 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 12
Quite handy and rugged little things, with a great sound... I think the PX-100 sounds a little better but it's without any isolation, so I have always preferred the PX-200 out in public.

I have yet to find a small, closed portable that I like as much as the PX-200 (been looking for 4 years!). The only downfall is that the pads get quite hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable after awhile.

--Chris

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 12
To give the opposite point of view, I think the PX200s sound dreadful, with no bass, and muddled uninvolving sound - how bad they sound seems to depend upon their fit with your ear. I too love my PX100s, but I think the consinsus here would be that the 200s are not up to standard.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 12
I always found the PX200s sound tinny when you compare them to the PX100s.

But I agree with hempcamp, I don't think you can find a better closed headphone for SQ AND portability. You can fold these things up to the size of your fist.

Another thing that some people might not like is that it doesn't provide much isolation for a closed can. But IMO, the isolation level is perfect for a portable. Just enough isolation so that you don't disturb others in a library while letting just enough exterior noise when you're commuting/walking around.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iggee85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always found the PX200s sound tinny when you compare them to the PX100s.

I have tried both and definitely prefer the PX100s. I use them in my hotel rooms all the time when I am traveling. (I use the Ety ER4s on the plane.)

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 12
The PX200 has a weird sound sig imo. It's got not bass impact (even though it's a closed can) and it just sounds weird and tinny next to the PX100, which is way too bassy when unamped. They do fold up nicely though, and there's no closed phone better at that price range... although if you can step up the budget, the HD-25-II is the best closed Senn around ($200ish).

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Senn HD25-II (one of the best closed cans around), Senn HD280 Pro (good isolation weird sound sig though), ATH-M50 (pretty good monitoring cans that do fold), ATH-ANC7 (one of the better noise canceling cans), and the AKG K271 (closed studio monitor that sounds pretty good) are all somewhat portable closed cans.

Dec 24, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 12
How about Audio Technica ATH-SJ5? AudioCubes.com - Audio-Technica ATH-SJ5 Portable Headphones - ATH-SJ5

or

Panasonic RP-HTX7

AudioCubes.com - Panasonic RP-HTX7 Retro Piano Painted Headphones -

I haven't heard either headphone but there are plenty of reviews in the links provided. You can also search on head-fi for opinions.

Also the AKG K81DJ/ K518 are very good for the price. If you like bass you will like these. I bought them last year and I still love'em
smily_headphones1.gif
, its a real basshead can.

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 12
I just bought the SJ5 for $30 shipped (Ebay) and I sold the RP-HTX7 a few weeks ago. The HTX7 isolates wonderfully and has a good sound signature, although it sounds slightly 'mufffled' or 'nasal' to some people. Overall, though, they're pretty good value. I'll report on the ATH-SJ5 once I get them, which should be in a day or two. Listening to some AKG 412P right now (the new 24P) and they're very boomy with some harshness. They look cool to me and the bass is nice after coming from Senn HD280s, but the clarity and isolation leave much to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back