PX-100 owner looking for new portables.
Aug 18, 2010 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aidenn

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm a bit lost when it comes to audio equipment, so I like to ask before I even go to try it in a store. Sorry if this question comes up here often. :)

Anyway, I was using the PX-100s for 6 years now, they served me very well. I was using something made by Koss before that. I don't remember the name, they had a cheap, plastic, behind the head design. I read somewhere that they had the same internals as Porta Pros, but I doubt that, because people everywhere say how great the Porta Pro's lows are, and with those I had it wasn't anywhere near great. Fantastic treble though.

Then I switched to Senns, these were good overall. Not the best sound ever, but nice quality for the value.

Yesterday I broke the cable. Now, I know I can replace it, but I started thinking, maybe it's time for  something new. New, but what? Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. :wink:

Some basic information:

- $100 or less. May be a little more expensive, but it has to be totally worth it.
- I'm almost certain I can't wear any buds. I tried like 20 different ones and each and every one of them hurt my ears after about 15-20 minutes of wearing them. I keep reading how fantastic buds are nowadays and how on-ear portables can't compare, but I simply cannot imagine any earbud that is comfortable to the shape of my ear. If any of you think otherwise however, please share your thoughts.
- They must be completely portable, no covering of an entire ear, no portable amps.
- They must not suck in any department, no cheap bass, no hissing treble, no muddy middle.
- They may be open. I don't really care about closed design.
- I listen to everything, from classical music, jazz and blues, through rockabilly, industrial, idm, ebm, synthpop, to death metal, black metal, grindcore and gabber.

So, if anyone'd like to share their tips I'd be very grateful.

Aug 18, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 16
I've been reading a lot of reviews, and for now three choices seem nice:

- Porta Pro, obviously
- AKG K420
- AKG K450

Any insight?

Also, I've heard that with cheap players K420 actually perform better. I intend to use the headphones both with a mobile phone (Nokia E51), my laptop and with my hifi set and desktop at home. Would K420 be a better choice then?

I've also heard that K450 doesn't have a nice treble. How is it compared to the PX100? I'm more of a bass/middle man, but treble is still important to me.

-- edit --

After much more deliberation (and finding that Sennheiser released a PX-100-II, that just says it all about my audio equipment knowledge :wink: I decided to narrow my choices to just PX-100-II and K420.

PX-100-II is really an obvious choice and a one I'd take without thinking... if i haven't read a lot about K420. And they're both the same price.

Could someone compare these two for me, taking PX-100 as a base?

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet...

Now how do you like to hear your music?

Otherwise go for the Portapro if you still want to try it and the price and included service are reasonable for what you have to pay.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 16
Well, I can actually get some Grado SR60i for 80 euro, the problem is, there's no listening-before-buying where I currently am, so I don't even know if I like the famous "Grado sound". I like the "PX-100 sound" though. :)

I like deep lows, but not too deep, PX-100 is perfect for me in that department. I also like good highs, PX-100 is not so perfect there, but its mid/high neutrality is kinda nice. I really haven't heard enough headphones to know what to expect from different ideas on how a headphone should sound like.

I know I don't like the lack of a bass kick. other than that I am completely open to new combinations, however I don't feel like paying 80 euro just to check if I like the Grado combination. :wink:

And I think that instead of Porta Pros I'd rather like another PX-100 set. however, these PX-100s I have are not dead, merely sleeping (I'll replace the cable in the next month or so), but I do need something right away too. I'll have two sets then and two PX-100s doesn't seem like a good idea. :wink:

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 16
If you want to try something different take a look at the Jay v-Jays, there is a good review thread on them here with a website in the UK where you can get a pair for a ridiculously low price. They have some of the highs and midrange associated with Grado but bass similar to the PX100. They are more neutral to bright sounding in comparison to the PX100 though. Otherwise the new PX100 II will likely do the trick for you.

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 16
Holy crap, just over 50 eur for the v-JAYS including shipping when normally they go for like 80? I'll need to read some more on them after work. Thanks for the tip. :)

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #8 of 16
if you look at that thread there is a code you can use (hopefully still works) that will give you an even bigger discount. I paid $30CAN or there about for my pair which is ridiculous considering they retail for more than 3 times that.

Aug 20, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Aww, sod, the code seems to be no longer working. I though I'd buy these for sure... for THAT price who wouldn't. Now I must do more research.

Or maybe it is working? I enter the code, but nothing happens. I press apply, the page refreshes but the price is still the same. It doesn't throw up any errors though. I tried in Chromium and Firefox.

Still, a bit over 50 eur isn't a bad price. I'd have to think it through. Paycheck is on Wednesday, so I have some time. :)

These Grados are tempting too. I think I could listen to these though, they're in a different store which allows listening before buying. I'll try that tomorrow.

By the way, they have the following headphones in my price range:

Denon AH-P372
iGrado
A-T ATH-ES3
A-T ATH-FC700

Any of them worth checking since I'll be there anyway?

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Aww, it's closed on Saturdays, and on Weekdays it's only open when I'm working. No checking out the Grado sound for me.

Ok, back to square one. PX-100-II and v-JAYS.

I think I'll get the v-JAYS in the end, however I'd like some feedback on the AKGs (both K420 and K450) and why shouldn't I buy them, because the reviews are quite nice.

-- edit --

I also just found out about AIAIAI Tracks, how do they compare to the v-JAYS?

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #12 of 16
Personally, from listening to the newer PX 100 II at CanJam, they sounded terrible compared to the PortaPro.

From the open AKGs I listened to they seemed to be toned down in the bass department. Not sure about the closed ones you mentioned, but I would have much more confidance in the PortaPro... metal headband, open soundstage, great bass with no seal, lifetime warranty, ect.

$30 is the best I have found them going for:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Koss+-+PortaPro+Portable+Headphones+-+Black/9492391.p?id=1218113927982&skuId=9492391&st=koss%20portapro&cp=1&lp=1

They are black though, not quite the same as the picture.

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 16
I have both the PX100 and the AKG K420. They are very different in their presentation. The PX100 seem slightly more detailed even if they have a darker and at the same time more airy signature. The K420 are fun and a bit in-your-face. The whole soundstage is more upfront than the PX100. I use both phones regularly and I enjoy them both.

If you buy the K420, the treble might seem too strong at first. For me, the treble settled after 2 weeks or so.
The PX100 might seem be a bit more bass heavy, but I assure you that there enough of it on the K420. Perhaps not as well defined as on the PX100, but definitely plenty of it (more than on the K450 which is closed while the K420 is open, i.e. more bass).

From comparing PortaPro and K420 at Yodobashi electronics stores here in Japan, I would rule out the PortaPro unless you can find them really cheap. To me they sounded slightly more "hollow" and less musical than the K420. Coming from the PX100, the difference between the PX100 and the K420/PortaPro might feel bigger than the difference between the K420 and the PortaPro.

You have a very diverse taste in music! I listen mostly to 70ies progressive rock and metal and the K420 really get me involved in the music. More so than the PX100 which make me listen more critically to the music.

Short comparison and perhaps not the best. But owning both the PX100 and the K420, I'd say go for the K420. If you find cheap PortaPro, you can try them out as well. Variation in the sound signatures of headphones can be fun (and addictive...)

EDIT: When I was looking around for reviews on the K420 last year, I could not find much at all (probably because they were new). This comparison is what convinced me to try out the K420. I agree with the comparisons with the PX100.

EDIT 2: A thread here on Head-fi about the K420

EDIT 3: To bring another brand into the equation: Fischer Audio Oldskool '70s (here's one more review)

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks guys, that was extremely helpful.

I'm still going to get the v-JAYS, however now I have a theoretical groundwork and a bit of brand knowledge. Depending on what I think about the v-JAYS mids and highs I might go in a different direction next time.

And about the AKGs, maye I'll buy them just for kicks next year, I love their design and they sound very interesting on paper. But for now v-JAYS captured most of my attention. :)

Cheers.

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Thanks guys, that was extremely helpful.

I'm still going to get the v-JAYS, however now I have a theoretical groundwork and a bit of brand knowledge. Depending on what I think about the v-JAYS mids and highs I might go in a different direction next time.

And about the AKGs, maye I'll buy them just for kicks next year, I love their design and they sound very interesting on paper. But for now v-JAYS captured most of my attention. :)

Cheers.

The V-Jays do sound interesting as well. I did not even know that the company is Swedish, and I am a Swede! So they are not really a high profile company...

I am always on the look for interesting portable headphones, so the V-Jays might go on my list as well. But first I want to try out the Yuin G2A clip-on phones and the Fischer Audio Oldskool '70s. Well, and I have to learn to know when it is enough. Look at my signature already....

If you check out the AKG K4x0 series, remember that only the K420 are open like the PX100. The K430/K450 might be less bassy since they are semi-closed/closed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back