PWB Headphones.
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 28
And the thread shall rise from the dust....
I sent you a message ALAN check your message section.

I lost the entire post I just wrote up. I guess the actual magic foil sample I got from them  ( Free!!! Go get some !!!!!!! ) is working. I contacted PWB a few months ago about these when i asked for my sample Creme Electret and foil, and Mrs. Belt said little about them except that they stopped making headphones in the 70's and had no secret stash of NOS or parts anywhere at all. Oh well. I asked. My dreams were dashed. the rug ripped out from under me. EVERYONE has a secret stash of their old products somewhere in some huge old wharehouse somewhere. Look at all the toys from the 70's they keep finding.  Dammit. So after I cried.....

Anyhow I have the same set as alan's there, but mine have no box and are fried i think. Drifting in and out . The plug end is similar to an electret end, 4 prongs with the metal collar. No good really from my NOS AT-705 Electret adapter box, even after giving them a good run for a few days . Better after that but not entirely good.
Can't see how to open these up either. If I could maybe I could see whats up. No idea what the red blotch is either must be a "Beltism" of some sort for improved sound. I do recall that the innards of the adapter boxes were slightly diffrent/proprietory in some aspcts than anything else. More "Beltism" tweaks i assume, so maybe they can't run on anything else properly. Who knows... maybe they ARE crappy 'ol Seiki's.
frown.gif
( my seiki turntable is good at least )

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 28
Well at the end of the last page you saw Alan27 posted pix of what he had. Drool.
These are now on their way to me!
beerchug.gif

Hopefully we can determine what they are, and if they are somewhat decent. I have some electrets and SR-5 Stax to compare them to, assuming they aren't Micro's and they actually work.
I'll take as many pix as it needs to get a diagnosis on the OEM here, and can document the paperwork they come with. P.W.B. were certainly no help when I asked.
If the pair that I currently have are the same as these ( sure look the same ), and we can't get them open, and they don't work like they should ( the pair I have now that were drifting in and out ) then I will consider butchering them to open them up and have a peek at the setup inside.

I'm excited like never before. Maybe I need to get a life haha

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #18 of 28
If you are reading this because you've searched the internet and/or have a set to sell be sure to sign in and send me a personal message.
Appreciated.
Nick

May 2, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 28
Which model and colour do you know? Also: If you can post pics at a host website and link me I can put them up for you and also see what you are meaning specifically.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 28
Hi,

I've just noticed this thread, I've an old pair of PWB Electrostatics on the shelf. They look very similar to the pair in Alan27 pictures except for the connection box, mine is a simple metal box (branded PWB Electronics) with the speaker connections on the back and a DIN-like headphone connector socket and simple toggle switch to switch between headphones and speakers on the front.

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #23 of 28
PWB's headphones were sold as electrostatic but were actually electret. They connected directly to the speaker terminals of your amplifier via some hefty cable but did not have a mains source connection. Rather like electrostatic headphones though they did have an energiser box with a couple of transformers in it.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #24 of 28
  Hi,

I've just noticed this thread, I've an old pair of PWB Electrostatics on the shelf. They look very similar to the pair in Alan27 pictures except for the connection box, mine is a simple metal box (branded PWB Electronics) with the speaker connections on the back and a DIN-like headphone connector socket and simple toggle switch to switch between headphones and speakers on the front.

Excellent stuff SimpleMystic.

You bought those new?

Here's a scan I did a while back for the model range at the time . I assume it is the M.B.S. model from your description. I missed out on a set a bit ago with that unit.
Click on the image for enlarged readable version.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #25 of 28

Excellent stuff SimpleMystic.

You bought those new?

Here's a scan I did a while back for the model range at the time . I assume it is the M.B.S. model from your description. I missed out on a set a bit ago with that unit.
Click on the image for enlarged readable version.

Yes to both questions. Looking at the model range (excellent scan - thank you, my packaging and paperwork disappeared decades ago) it looks like they are the M.B.S. model and I did buy them new, probably from somewhere like Uxbridge Audio in west London.                                                                                   

Feb 2, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 28
Digging this old thread up as it's the only place I've managed to find any potential info on what I have below : some old PWB electrostats and silver connection box. Possibly from the 60's ? This colour box and type of connector (6 pin) look different to other sets I've seen. Any info / interest welcome !
IMG_6624.jpg
IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_6585_.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #27 of 28
Long-winded private message sent :)

Appreciate the post thanks very much !
This helps my timeline guesses.

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #28 of 28
Big thanks to Nick and his expert knowledge on these - for anyone interested : It seems that they are the later model electrets (as have two wires going into the driver) wired to a 6 pin plug with two dummy pins (4 wires going in, instead of 6) so they can work with this 6 pin connection box..
Pictures of the headphone wiring, connector and inner box below :

IMG_6640__.jpg
IMG_6647_.jpg
IMG_6654.jpg
IMG_6656_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back