PW Audio Cables Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 1,613
That would be crazy to get variations of sound for the same cable... And I would not understand that since wires seem to be identical

the 3.5mm plug is the same but the mmcx connector might be different model all together. but yeah, the conductor look the same. it could well be just a different cosmetic. ppl do buy things coz they are different or some sort of special/limited edition!

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 1,613
sure. Let me take some pictures tonight.

from what i can see online there are the few variations on the No. 5.

3.5mm plug shrink wrap - can be clear or black color
the splitter piece - wood or metal
mmcx connector - plastic/black or metal

mine is black/wood/plastic

That would be crazy to get variations of sound for the same cable... And I would not understand that since wires seem to be identical

I think he meant variations in the external design/appearance, not the sound like:
1. plug shrink wrap is black on his (mine is clear)
2. splitter piece is wood on his (mine is plastic splitter with wood slider)
3. mmcx connector is plastic on his (mine is metal)

Nov 15, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #18 of 1,613
I think he meant variations in the external design/appearance, not the sound like:
1. plug shrink wrap is black on his (mine is clear)
2. splitter piece is wood on his (mine is plastic splitter with wood slider)
3. mmcx connector is plastic on his (mine is metal)

here is mine:

Attachments

• 20181114_234042.jpg
    20181114_234042.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #21 of 1,613
The main difference between No.5 international version and Japanese (Oriolus) version is the solder.
The solder used for the Japanese version lends to a slightly airier and brighter sound, but the bass is slightly reduced.

I struggle to believe solder is making a difference... Not to go too far I will personaly assume all PW 5 are identical then. Thanks

Nov 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #22 of 1,613
redacted

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #24 of 1,613
Just ordered the loki 8 wire for my u18. And so the wait begins!

Hey man, I meant to reply to your post in the high end cables thread about comparing the Prima Dona and Leo 8-wire but forgot. I think you made a great choice with the Loki 8-wire. It was definitely one of my favorites from the tour and it was on an extremely high technical level, but not sounding too bright or cold like some silver cables. I imagine it will make the U18 really sing. That probably would have been the one I choose for that IEM as well (from what I read, I haven't heard it). Plus the ergonomics are like stuffing baby kittens behind your ears...it's that soft! :)

Look forward to your impressions!

-Collin-

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #27 of 1,613
Quite a nice pairing with the Aroma Musical Box Early + PW Loki. The Loki sure helps to brighten up the overall presentation and adds clarity. :)

10189884_thumb.jpg

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #28 of 1,613
Got my 1950s today :)

Does anyone have any cable wrapping/storage recommendations? By far the most expensive cable I have owned so I’m going to be sure to baby it.

My Ares II ended up unraveling on one side and I want to be sure I do everything in my power to make sure that doesn’t happen to my 1950s.

Dec 6, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 1,613

Does anyone have any cable wrapping/storage recommendations? By far the most expensive cable I have owned so I’m going to be sure to baby it.

My Ares II ended up unraveling on one side and I want to be sure I do everything in my power to make sure that doesn’t happen to my 1950s.
I try to avoid winding them up too tightly too often. In fact, it might be silly, but whatever setup I listen to regularly I keep in a cloth tray that I can just put back on a shelf in my audio gear cabinet. I literally don't wind them up at all.
Cable tray.jpg

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 1,613

How do you like your 1950s with LX so far? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back