PureSound ClarityOne Review
Nov 15, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 70
Second post updated with a comparison between the C1 and the FXT90. Enjoy! 
smile.gif

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #17 of 70
EDIT: Seems the Comply T-400's are really the only tips I've experienced that resolve any negative aspects pertaining to the high end. With all other tips, the highs are much too shrill.

As often as I switch between the FXT90 and C1, I'm slowly but surely inclining more and more towards the C1, but as is mentioned in the comparison, based on the listener's preference, it could quite easily go either way. 
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #18 of 70
EDIT: Seems i'm having mixed feeling about both the FXT90 and ClarityOne. Oh, the differences one perceives with the 'right' tips. 
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 70

Quote:
Having reviewed the C1's as I had intended to, I'm now back to exclusively listening to my FX700 and e-Q5. In a nutshell, no, the C1's are by no means a revolutionary product, nor do they bring anything truly new/innovative to the market, if I'm to be completely honest. That said, at their very reasonable MSRP, they're definitely worth a look, and perform quite well within their price margin. between the FXT90 (which I've also listed for sale) and the C1, I personally preferred the C1 by a hair or two every time, simply because I found it to be more fun and musical oriented, than the more accurate and refined FXT90. 
smile.gif

Now, where was I? Ah, yes. Back to my FX700's I go. 
biggrin.gif

Great review and comparison in your 2nd post! I'm also taking a quote from your comparison that has me pretty sold on these: "Where genres such as dance, trance, techno, electro, dubstep, hip hop etc. are concerned, the C1 seems to be my preferred choice by a hair or two" I listen to all those genres and if these can equal or even beat the FXT90 by a hair, then I'm interested. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 70
i2ehan

I think you summed up both the C1 and FTX90 very well, and in truth thats why I bought both of them.

What I do like more about the JVC's is that (at least to me) they are like a cross between the detail of an armature and the bass of a dynamic, which suits me just fine. Obviously everyone hears things slightly differently. The Clarity One as you know is no slouch either and I do really like them.

I do like both and I intend to keep the Clarity One as well, it has a great musical and fun sound, and of course its great for the phone too.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 70
I remember when I first heard the j-phonic K2. I made the horrible mistake of removing the Comply's, and trying on whatever other tips I hand on hand, for experimental purposes. The result was absolutely horrendous, irrespective of any other tips I tried. Going back to the Comply's however, I found the K2's once again much more tolerable. I feel the exact same way in regards to the ClarityOne. If coupled with any other tips, they'll receive nothing short of a bad assessment, with respect to the highs that is. With the Comply's, the highs retain absolutely no harsh qualities, and they're much more enjoyable. Anyone considering these should bare that in mind in my opinion. I'm reconsidering keeping them as my exclusive mobile phone earphones. In any case, even coming from my FX700, I absolutely love the low end of the C1, for which I can't offer enough praise to be honest. With respect to their price, I still do feel that they're quite competent, and certainly do deliver an extremely engaging, fun and musical experience. 
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #24 of 70
Quote:
Really? Are they good enough to make you sell off everything else? Even the FXT90?

The FXT90 still performs better on technical terms, but it's presentation is entirely different from the C1, and I find the latter much more musical, fun, and enjoyable altogether. As per selling off everything else? I'll say this. As enjoyable as the C1 sounds, I find myself reaching less and less for my other in-ears. Yes, even the top-tiers. However, make no mistake about it, as is expected, there's quite a difference in terms of performance. For instance, the e-Q5 is still in another league when it comes to transparency, and rightfully so considering it's a little over twice as expensive as the C1. Similarly, the FX700 is also levels above the C1 in terms of timbre, and texture (particularly pertaining to both the high and low end). Then again, the FX700 is also more than three times as expensive as the C1. The same can be said for quite a few other high end in-ears. Nevertheless, at it's price point, the C1 puts up one hell of a performance, and that's where I'm entitled to give all due credit. For that very reason, much like the GR07/EX600, when one encounters an in-ear as enjoyable as the C1, the point of diminishing returns becomes that much more apparent. After all, at the end of the day, it matters not whether one owns the most technically proficient in-ear around; much rather, which one is most enjoyable and suited to the listener's preference. 
wink.gif

I conducted a little experiment last night. I had nearly a dozen different tips laid out before me. Beginning with the stock C1 tips (which I find most problematic, pertaining to the high end), I chose a few select tracks where the highs were much too harsh and sibilant throughout the track, and went back and forth between tips in order to determine which one(s) tamed the high end best. Rest assured, it was (once again) down to the Comply T-400 and Monster triple flanges, after which there was practically no harshness whatsoever. The difference is very very noticeable, and it's almost like magic the way sibilance disappears nearly altogether. Between the two, the Comply's make the high end sound a tad too smooth, and slightly laid-back, whereas the Monster tri-flanges retain high end sparkle (for the most part), and result in a slightly mid-centric presentation, which I find works to the C1's advantage, as the midrange begins to sound slightly more open and transparent. Where the Comply's fully retain the heavy, weighty low end, the tri-flanges tend to make the low end sound ever so slightly more lean and tight in comparison. Needless to say, even coming from my FX700's, I find the C1's low end most enjoyable! 
biggrin.gif

In summary, to anyone looking for a set of quality in-ears, at $150 and below, the C1 is definitely worth a closer look. I strongly urge anyone considering the C1 to give the monster tri-flanges a go, after which I'm confident they'll know just how good of a performance the C1 is capable of. I wish to once again reiterate the most important point; my evaluation of the C1 revolves entirely around it's price point, which is of course $130 retail, or $112 after the current 25% discount code (still active as of this writing). They easily perform well above their price point, and it's for that very reason I have no trouble recommending them to friends and family, time and time again. 
smile.gif

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 70
hey I just bought a pair of these and I'm greatly enjoying them so far! however I'm thinking of ordering a set of comply foam tips to improve the treble harshness as well as the wearing-comfort. I'm just wondering, is the T400 the proper size for these? As PureSound isnt listed on the Comply website as a manufacturer I'm not 100% on which size to order. I haven't used the comply tips before so I am not exactly clear on how their numbering system works, but I presume T100 is narrower bore than T400? Thanks for the help!

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #27 of 70
Glad you found them to your liking my friend. Indeed, it's the Comply T-400 you're after, which work quite well in terms of taming the highs; as do the Klipsch ear gels for that matter. 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #29 of 70
I'll hopefully get around to A/B'ing the 2 sooner than later, but in very vague terms, if you want a natural, flat, and accurate presentation, the GR07 is the obvious choice between the two. Else, if you want a fun, warm, balanced, yet colored presentation, with slightly greater emphasis on the low mids and low end, I'd recommend the C1. For bass-heavy genres however, such as dubstep, the C1 sounds fantastic! 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back