Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jun 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #256 of 554

Quote:
does i20 able to feed 24bit file to the digital out? and, does this unit work flawlessly with ipod video 5g? it's not listed in here: http://www.johnlewis.com/231080372/Product.aspx

I thought ipod doesn't support 24 bits anyway

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #258 of 554
None of the other iXxxx digital docks are likely to be much better than the I20 as a pure digital transport as they are all limited to what the iXxxx wil output digitally. There could be diferences in the digital implementation like async and so on and that will likely make a difference though. For something better you will likely have to look at something other than an iXxxx

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #259 of 554

Quote:
I thought ipod doesn't support 24 bits anyway

I believe they do now support 24 bit.  Almost positive, since I have 24 bit files on my iPod and iPad :)   But only 48 kHz sampling, not 96 kHz yet.

Jun 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #260 of 554
The i20 upsamples to 24/192.

I can say this, after hooking up my DACmagic that there was not difference to my Wadia. The Wadia uses a 16bit DAC.

I see no reason, to go with anything other than the i20 for digital output. I'll have a 170i Transport for sale for those wanting a bigger box that does the same thing.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #261 of 554

Quote:
The i20 upsamples to 24/192.

I can say this, after hooking up my DACmagic that there was not difference to my Wadia. The Wadia uses a 16bit DAC.

I see no reason, to go with anything other than the i20 for digital output. I'll have a 170i Transport for sale for those wanting a bigger box that does the same thing.

The i20 does up-sample to 24/192 via its internal DAC, which feeds its analog outputs (not the digital output).

The Wadia 170i transport contains no DAC, it just passes the 16 bit (or whatever bit) digital signal from an iPod.

I agree there is no reason to spend more than what an i20 costs if you are simply going tom use it as a digital transport.

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #262 of 554
BmWr75,

I was simply quoting a literature diagram that Wadia has, and they labeled it a 16bit DAC for whatever reason. Sorry this caused confusion. What is interesting is Wadia has RCA audio out. So it will bypass it's digital extraction I guess and line-out from the iPod/iPhone.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #263 of 554
No problem.  Due to companies like Pure, the jig is up for Wadia as far as digital 17Xi transports go.  I always wanted something that would pull a digital signal from an iPod, but was never willing to pay Wadia's price.........and I've spent tens of thousands on audio equipment.  Just didn't ever see the Wadia value proposition.

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #264 of 554

Quote:
No problem.  Due to companies like Pure, the jig is up for Wadia as far as digital 17Xi transports go.  I always wanted something that would pull a digital signal from an iPod, but was never willing to pay Wadia's price.........and I've spent tens of thousands on audio equipment.  Just didn't ever see the Wadia value proposition.

At the time, I think their transport was the cheapest component with the 'Wadia' badge on it, and there are people in audio who get very excited by brand names. Some might say a little too excited.

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #265 of 554
Skylab, how does the i20's DAC compare to your iMod's?

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #266 of 554

Quote:
I believe they do now support 24 bit.  Almost positive, since I have 24 bit files on my iPod and iPad :)   But only 48 kHz sampling, not 96 kHz yet.

I think you can put 24 bit songs on the i device but it downsamples them, I think. Does the ipad show at what bitrate and depth songs are played?
i_djoel I think my onkyo dock is a fantastic transport but I don't know how it compares to other similar devices. I wouldn't complicate too much since its a digital device and there are no lenses inside. I would still buy another nd-s1 if I needed another dock, mainly because the remote is more than decent.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #267 of 554
I thought the iMod sounded very slightly better than the Pure's DAC. But the Pure is much cheaper!

.sup you may be right...I am not sure whether is PLAYS the files in 24 bit or not, but you can for sure put them in the iPod/iPad.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #268 of 554
I just received my Pure i20 yesterday.  I am using it as a doc for a iPhone4, feeding the SPDIF output to an original Benchmark DAC-1.  So far so good.  It definitely sounds a lot better than the iPhone4 own headphone output on my HD-600s.

Having not previously read these forums I was surprised that there is a volume control in the signal path, only adjustable from the i20 remote.  I was hoping for bit-accurate digital output with no processing.  However, it still sounds very good.  I will be running some tests very soon on the output bit depth and resolution which I will post on my blog.  Please stay tuned!

-david BTW

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #269 of 554
I'm pretty sure that it is a bit-accurate stream and that it is only the gain of the output that is being adjusted in the digital domain which should in no way affect the quality of the output

Jun 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #270 of 554

Quote:
 only adjustable from the i20 remote.  I was hoping for bit-accurate digital output with no processing.  

-david BTW

David,

The volume can be controlled by remote or the iPod/iPhone depending on its generation. The signal is not processed, it's simply a line level signal for the DAC to interpret. I find it somewhat useful to have the volume control. But there isn't a quality loss, just a digital level signal. It's much like using iTunes over optical, where iTunes allows for volume adjustment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back