Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jun 17, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #241 of 554
So, I question I have is that after hooking up the i-20 to my DACmagic via Coax (I need to buy another TOSlink cable) is that the i-20 does volume control.

I've noticed this as well from my Mac Pro -> DACmagic. *edit* (actually, no volume control from system volume, just iTunes volume control)

Is this normal? I realize digital is digital, but the fact that you're pre-amplifying the singal on the unit (i.e. adjustable level control) this can adversely affect the audio?? It's like running your preamp too low and having to run your amp hot and you get clipping.

Wadia transport does not have volume control.

Is this all semantics?

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #242 of 554
I think this should not be difficult for anyone handy with solder iron. i-20 use 7.5v 1.2 DC; so you can take a battery pack (one that take 1.5vX6 AAs), put in 5XAAs, then solder on a suitable plug onto the battery pack (IIRC, the tip should be center positive, 1.5mm inner diameter).

Quote:
i too would love to see someone open this thing and see if they can repackage it into a custom case and find a way to attach a battery/pack or something to it to make it a little more portable?   pure i-20 hacks/mods anyone :D

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #243 of 554
So I finally spent some time listening to the Pure i20 as a source itself - meaning not connected to a DAC.  In this mode it sounds decent, but it's nothing special.  I don't think it sounds as good as my iMod iPod + VCap dock, although it is of course much less expensive than that.  If definitely does not sound nearly as good as my AVA DAC, or my MHDT Havana. but of course those are also much more expensive than the Pure.

On the other hand, the i20 is every bit as good at providing a digital output as the much more expensive Wadia and Cambridge Audio digital docks.  I really can't imagine buying either of those now, frankly.  I have them both because when I bought each of them they were the best choices at that time, since the Pure wasn't out.  But as a digital dock connected to a DAC I think the Pure is a winner.  Used as dock and via it's internal DAC, the sound is OK, but nothing special.  It's a little grainy, thin, and brittle compared to my other more expensive digital sources.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #244 of 554

Quote:
I think this should not be difficult for anyone handy with solder iron. i-20 use 7.5v 1.2 DC; so you can take a battery pack (one that take 1.5vX6 AAs), put in 5XAAs, then solder on a suitable plug onto the battery pack (IIRC, the tip should be center positive, 1.5mm inner diameter).

niceeee!

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #245 of 554

Quote:
So I finally spent some time listening to the Pure i20 as a source itself - meaning not connected to a DAC.  In this mode it sounds decent, but it's nothing special.  I don't think it sounds as good as my iMod iPod + VCap dock, although it is of course much less expensive than that.  If definitely does not sound nearly as good as my AVA DAC, or my MHDT Havana. but of course those are also much more expensive than the Pure.

On the other hand, the i20 is every bit as good at providing a digital output as the much more expensive Wadia and Cambridge Audio digital docks.  I really can't imagine buying either of those now, frankly.  I have them both because when I bought each of them they were the best choices at that time, since the Pure wasn't out.  But as a digital dock connected to a DAC I think the Pure is a winner.  Used as dock and via it's internal DAC, the sound is OK, but nothing special.  It's a little grainy, thin, and brittle compared to my other more expensive digital sources.

Thanks for this! Now I feel like I should get a seperate DAC to pair with the i20, but that means no CTH amp.
confused_face.gif
Perhaps I could have someone build a CTH for me with a built-in DAC.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #246 of 554
Looking at your gear list, and understanding I have never heard any of the Fiio amps, I would still probably go for a nice DAC before buying another amp.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #247 of 554
Thanks for this review Skylab. I just ordered one of these, for the digital output. I was a little worried there might be some compromise compared to the Wadia, Cambridge Audio, Onkyo et al; especially considering the extras built in. We ordered it for the convenience of using our ipods/iphones with our speaker system. We have some reasonable gear downstream (Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC, HFA valve preamp, Plinius SA50 power amp, Theophany M5 speakers). Your comments on how it compares to the Wadia and Cambridge are most reassuring.

Thanks again.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #248 of 554
The remote looks crappy. Onkyo has a much better remote. Is the power supply supplied with adaptors for all countries?

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #249 of 554

Quote:

A more appropriate comparison of the i20's DAC capabilities might be with your HRT iStreamer, have you made that one yet?

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #250 of 554
Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that, how silly of me. The iStreamer sounds somewhat better than the Pure's analog out, IMO. It's only marginally more transparent, but the iStreamer is not lean or brittle, and I do find the Pure's analog outs to sound a bit that way.

The Cambridge D100 digital dock has an infinitely nicer remote that the Pure. But is that worth $200? Probably not. The Cambridge has AES-EBU out, so if you needed that, then this could be an advantage.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #251 of 554

Quote:
Looking at your gear list, and understanding I have never heard any of the Fiio amps, I would still probably go for a nice DAC before buying another amp.

Yeah I might get an Audio-gd NFB12, I think its amp is also more powerful than the FiiO E9. The NFB12 DAC should also be much better than the i20's DAC.

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #254 of 554
LOL Miguel! no I have not, since I never intended to use the Pure for anything except feeding a digital to my DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back