Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #226 of 554

Quote:
Well, the only inexpensive DAC I have to compare the i20 to is the original uDAC. My other DACs are $900 and $2,000.

Well that's fine. Since you have experience with really high quality DACs. You'll know if the i20's DAC is good or not and if it's "a steal" for its price or just right for its price, etc. This is regarding the DAC alone. I know the overall i20 is probably "a steal" for its price for what it can do.

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #227 of 554
Volume control also works on ipod touch. I thougt that it is not working, because when you pressing volume button on pure's remote -  volume scale doesn't appear on iPod screen and only volume icon is visible. In fact it works and if you press volume button several times i-20 is playing much much louder.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #228 of 554
5 days?? Man, I wish!

Did you have to pay any brokerage costs?

I'm still waiting on this delivery. In the future, I'm definitely sticking to shipping that has a tracking number. This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Dan, I did the $20 shipping and got it here in BC in less than 5 days.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #230 of 554

Did anyone open the i-20 and see what solution they use inside to retrieve audio data through USB interface and ouput it through I2S?

Curious to know as only few semiconductors companies provide a good and cost effective solution for iPod digital audio.

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #231 of 554

Quote:

Did anyone open the i-20 and see what solution they use inside to retrieve audio data through USB interface and ouput it through I2S?

Curious to know as only few semiconductors companies provide a good and cost effective solution for iPod digital audio.

Not I. I have one, and it looks like a snap together so until my 2nd unit arrives I'm gonna hold off ripping it apart in-case I do something stupid.

Jun 11, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #232 of 554
Does anyone think the i20's DAC can compare to Audio-gd NFB-12's Dual WM8741 Wolfson DAC? I really feel like getting the NFB-12 but it has to be a night and day difference between the i20's DAC and NFB-12's DAC. If not, I'll most likely stick with the i20 DAC and get a good hybrid amp instead of a solid state amp. What's more important in sound quality? A better amp? Or a better DAC?

Jun 11, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #233 of 554

Quote:
 What's more important in sound quality? A better amp? Or a better DAC?

You're going to get people that say one or the other. They are both "source" equipment so they feed off each other. However, I recommend starting with the amp first. Since having a good amp can only be complimented by having a good DAC you'll be less sorry than getting a good DAC and having a so-so amp.

The DAC in the PURE is ok. It's better than what is available in the portable players but doesn't replace having a better DAC. For example I prefer my DACmagic but for the office the PURE + cMoy makes a great combo.

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #234 of 554
Yeah I understand the DACmagic should be much better than the i20's DAC but that's like 4x price difference. I'm wondering if it can compare to 2x-3x its price DACs like the Audio-gd NFB-12 which is about 2.5x more. Right now I guess I'm leaning towards a better amp. Just note I'm upgrading from a FiiO E9 amp using the i20's DAC. I really want to know which would be the better upgrade or the greatest improvement from what I have now, NFB-12 amp + DAC or Cavalli CTH hybrid amp still using the i20's DAC. The headphones I will be using are in the signature.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #235 of 554
Get the best amp you can and upgrade the DAC later.

Jun 12, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #236 of 554

Quote:
Yeah I understand the DACmagic should be much better than the i20's DAC but that's like 4x price difference. I'm wondering if it can compare to 2x-3x its price DACs like the Audio-gd NFB-12 which is about 2.5x more. Right now I guess I'm leaning towards a better amp. Just note I'm upgrading from a FiiO E9 amp using the i20's DAC. I really want to know which would be the better upgrade or the greatest improvement from what I have now, NFB-12 amp + DAC or Cavalli CTH hybrid amp still using the i20's DAC. The headphones I will be using are in the signature.

Did you not see the part where I said start with the amp? I was only giving reference to the DACmagic as a future upgrade scenario.

Unless you are unhappy with the amp you have, why change? You could add a DAC now but if you are happy with the sound stick to what you have with the i20.  If you are looking to add colour, I'd suggest getting another headphone set.

Again, unless you are unhappy with the amps you have, don't change. If you are happy with the headphones don't change. If you are itching to get a bit more mileage out of the i20 then look at a DAC.

Jun 12, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #237 of 554
I guess I'm looking to get more power for my Thunderpants (orthos) because I feel that it isn't getting enough. I might upgrade the E9 to a Cavalli CTH then. Thanks!

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #240 of 554
i too would love to see someone open this thing and see if they can repackage it into a custom case and find a way to attach a battery/pack or something to it to make it a little more portable?   pure i-20 hacks/mods anyone :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back