Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
May 27, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #196 of 554
Am not sure why you are wanting to make comparisons to CD, DVD, PC and Squeezebox..........the whole point of the i20 is that it pulls a digital signal from an IPOD for $99.

May 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #197 of 554

Quote:
Am not sure why you are wanting to make comparisons to CD, DVD, PC and Squeezebox..........the whole point of the i20 is that it pulls a digital signal from an IPOD for $99.

If it can pull a digital signal and sound better or at least as good as these others, I'd much rather use a portable device than a Mini.  Gives me music on the go and can do the job properly in my ~40K home audio system.

May 27, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #199 of 554
I bought the Wadia Transport + Cambridge DACMagic a few months ago and paired to the combo with a Schiit Valhalla and I was pleased. Then I saw a picture from a 6moons review about the Lyr and I saw this weird dock that said PURE on it. So by fluke I found out about the PURE dock.

Well, let me tell you I'm angry and elated I found a dock for $99 that pulls digital. But then to add optical/digital out and composite/video as well AND to have a reasonable DAC. Well I'm ordering another one, and I'll be selling my Wadia.

I cannot say if the PURE DAC is better than the Cambridge DACMagic as I haven't been able to compare. However, after I receive a second PURE dock I will evaluate and maybe the DM will be out the door too!

May 27, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #200 of 554

Quote:
I cannot say if the PURE DAC is better than the Cambridge DACMagic as I haven't been able to compare. However, after I receive a second PURE dock I will evaluate and maybe the DM will be out the door too!

I think quite a few people will be interested in your impressions, myself included. Just to be clear, you're going to test the iPod->Pure->amp->headphones VERSUS iPod->Pure (bypass Pure DAC)->DACmagic->amp->headphones, right?

I have the Pure and an amp, but I'm thinking that a decent DAC in between the two will REALLY help the sound.

May 27, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #201 of 554
I am also waiting on comparisons of the i20's DAC to other DACs to see how well they scale before I go purchasing another DAC. I don't want to buy a new DAC only to find it still sounds the same.
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #202 of 554

I own all of these. I think the best sounding is the SBT>VDAC>AMP. IMHO the i20 is a good value. I do have to say that it works with the iPhone but streaming or not there is some background interference. Plenty acceptable levels for something that cost $99.

May 27, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #203 of 554
Yes, somewhere way back in this thread or another, someone mentioned it. Let me dig it up in my PM inbox.

Okay, here is what the HFer sent me via PM, but I have yet to act on it:

Any good electrical or computer store will have a regulated power supply. As long as u tell them it needs to be regulated and matches the same specs as the original wall wart e.g 7.5v etc.

He said it improves the i-20 performance. I am going to try and find one myself.

Please let us know when you do!

May 27, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #204 of 554

Quote:
Quote:

I own all of these. I think the best sounding is the SBT>VDAC>AMP. IMHO the i20 is a good value. I do have to say that it works with the iPhone but streaming or not there is some background interference. Plenty acceptable levels for something that cost $99.

So you can hear distortion going on in the i-20 or is it due to the Iphone being in the equation?

May 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #205 of 554

Quote:
So you can hear distortion going on in the i-20 or is it due to the Iphone being in the equation?

And has the iPhone been tried in airplane mode to eliminate RF interference?

May 28, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #206 of 554

Quote:

I think quite a few people will be interested in your impressions, myself included. Just to be clear, you're going to test the iPod->Pure->amp->headphones VERSUS iPod->Pure (bypass Pure DAC)->DACmagic->amp->headphones, right?

I have the Pure and an amp, but I'm thinking that a decent DAC in between the two will REALLY help the sound.

Your assumptions are correct. My Valhalla is out at the moment for a repair, so once I get it back I will be testing iPod/iPhone -> Pure -> Valhalla and iPod/iPhone -> PURE -> DACMagic -> Valhalla

If my resolve fails, I may break down and buy the micro Amp/DAC combo from Headroom and that could end up in the mix.

At the moment I tried cMoyBB as my amp and it sounded great. Clear, noise free.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I can't explain why you are getting background interference. I have used the PURE successfully with a 3GS and it's dead quiet. There was no need to go airplane mode. I am using the wall wart ps that shipped with unit.

May 28, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #207 of 554
Hellu: great news! I'm actually looking to buy a Valhala (can't decide between Val and Woo WA3) for my 650s. What phones are you using? I have used the Pure through my Rotel receiver and it sounded pretty great, so I'm sure with a good and and good DAC it will sound phenomenal. I think the Pure sounds so much better than any other LOD set up, no comparison.

I also stream music through my Touch (Last.fm, mostly) and I get no noise whatsoever. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back