Pure i-20 iPod/iPhone Dock as a DAC
May 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #213 of 554
Volume question...It was mentioned earlier that the pure dock may or may not allow the ipod touch volume control to work.  In my case, I need it to work as I'm using an ipad with a remote app (tango) to control an ipod touch (including volume) connected to the system in the next room.   I have the pure on order, just want to know if I'll be able to use it as intended or have to come up with some other solution when it arrives.  Can someone who has the i-20 test the ipod touch volume? 

If this doesn't work, anyone know of a mid level DAC that comes with an RF remote (again, to control volume through walls) so I can adjust volume levels before it goes to a mix console? thanks

May 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #214 of 554
iPod Touch volume control does not work with the i20.  It does work with iPod Classics.

May 30, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #217 of 554

Quote:
Got it. I am getting an I-20, late next week it should arrive. I should be able to provide a relative assessment of the quality of it's built in DAC.

any chance you could crack it open and tell me how much space is inside? :D i bet its pretty empty. i was thinking about taking my dremel to one and removing the dac section if possible (or if needed) and rehouse it with a battery supply in a smaller more portable case. probably about 50-100 worth of components, perhaps even see if i can find room in my dac. since it seems to be taking a while for someone to release something like the CLAS without the dac i might have to hack one myself and this is a cheap starting point, maybe end up with something for 150-200

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #218 of 554
Still no review yet on how well the i20's DAC scale against other DACs? Still holding off on buying one.
frown.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #219 of 554
Sorry guys - work takes precedent, and I have been busy at work.  It may be a while before I get to this.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #220 of 554

Quote:
Sorry guys - work takes precedent, and I have been busy at work.  It may be a while before I get to this.

Oh ok no problem. Really look forward to it though!
smile.gif

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #221 of 554
Sorry, I still haven't received my i-20, and it's been nearly a month now. Stupid me, I decided to save $10 and get the slowest shipping. Now Canada Post is going on strike and I probably won't get the i-20 for another two weeks at least.

So no DAC comparisons for a while...

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #222 of 554

Quote:
Still no review yet on how well the i20's DAC scale against other DACs? Still holding off on buying one.
frown.gif

Why? You can use the digital out to pass thru to another DAC. The Cirrus one is good, but won't be as good as a commercial separate one like my DACMagic blows it away. It's going to be the cheapest most versatile digital out for an iOS device anywhere. I bought 2 so I can sell my Wadia.

Quote:
Sorry, I still haven't received my i-20, and it's been nearly a month now. Stupid me, I decided to save $10 and get the slowest shipping. Now Canada Post is going on strike and I probably won't get the i-20 for another two weeks at least.

So no DAC comparisons for a while...

Dan, I did the $20 shipping and got it here in BC in less than 5 days.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #223 of 554
I meant I'm holding off on buying another DAC to upgrade from the i20's DAC. I want to see how well they compare to others and if it's necessary to upgrade from others without paying $200+. The DACMagic is nice but a little too much lol.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #224 of 554
Well, the only inexpensive DAC I have to compare the i20 to is the original uDAC. My other DACs are $900 and $2,000.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #225 of 554
Im still of the opinion that its a pretty good dac for $99. The vdac which is $299 is much superior but much more $$. Even though the i20 works with the touch and iphone it is still susceptible to interference. I would say though its pretty minimal and does not disqualify it from beimg a worthy component.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back