Publication: Woo Audio Amplifier Comparisons
Mar 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:
how do those words not help? he made a chart comparing his own amps. is he required to label the one amp that has the least soundstage as "small soundstage"?   youre right mavrick, bob's posts are useless.  ruining a perfectly good thing Jack did and was in no way required to do. 

Good? He did this to sell more amps and posted it on a forum of course it is going to be open to criticism. I'm criticizing the ambiguity of the words he has chosen in an effort to make it more useful for people. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #17 of 36

Quote:
No instead of using actual words wooaudio has used bull instead. 

Take a deep breath, count to ten...

It's gonna be alright!
cool.gif

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #18 of 36
Since the significance of the terms are inferable I'd say the chart delivers the information you're asking for.

Providing relative values for qualitative differences is reasonable. Nobody can flatly state that one amp will deliver perceptive phenomena within some calculable figure. In addition, the manufacturer has no authority over the rest of the signal chain; you can probably set up a system with a soundstage that's flat as drywall, even with a WA-5 in it, if you were determined to try.

I can also appreciate using a "Fine -> Surreal" scale in lieu of, say, number values of one through five, since it's more evocative and playful. The specific choice of words seems odd to American English speakers, but I don't see any harm in it.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
Quote:
how do those words not help? he made a chart comparing his own amps. is he required to label the one amp that has the least soundstage as "small soundstage"?   youre right mavrick, bob's posts are useless.  ruining a perfectly good thing Jack did and was in no way required to do. 

Good? He did this to sell more amps and posted it on a forum of course it is going to be open to criticism. I'm criticizing the ambiguity of the words he has chosen in an effort to make it more useful for people. 

sell more amps? he did this because people always ask how one of his amps stack up to another of his amps. dont be so dense.  you cant tell if glorious is better than great? or excellent? or is it just me? i know in which order he meant things. just because its not spelled out in black and white terms doesnt mean its bull. as you keep posting, it just makes you look.... anyways, seriously tho, is it that big of an issue to you? if so you win, because really its not that big of a deal to me and i already wasted too much of my time responding to you.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #20 of 36
So what makes a soundstage glorious and how does it differ from a surreal or even an excellent soundstage? 
Quote:
sell more amps? he did this because people always ask how one of his amps stack up to another of his amps. dont be so dense.  you cant tell if glorious is better than great? or excellent? or is it just me? i know in which order he meant things. just because its not spelled out in black and white terms doesnt mean its bull. as you keep posting, it just makes you look.... anyways, seriously tho, is it that big of an issue to you? if so you win, because really its not that big of a deal to me and i already wasted too much of my time responding to you.

Making a product line easier to understand and therefore helping to reduce confusion among potential customers is not motivated with the intention of selling more amps?

Quote:
he did this because people always ask how one of his amps stack up to another of his amps. dont be so dense.

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #22 of 36
Its a relative ranking so stop getting so hung up on the damn labels.  Unless you're asserting that they have some utterly stupid definition of what "good soundstage" means (e.g. everything mixed to mono and played over just the left channel) then its pretty obvious what they most likely mean.  You did it yourself right here.

Quote:

Soundstaging: Width, Depth, Height eg. Narrow, Deep, Short 
Dynamic Response: Fast/Medium/Slow
Resolution of Tone: High/Medium/Low
Resolution of Detail: High/Medium/Low
Naturalness: High/Medium/Low
Euphonic: High/Medium/Low

All you freaking did was change the freakin' labels.

Its not about the labels, it about the concepts!

Mar 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 36
Concepts my arse if I told you something has a wide and deep soundstage you would know what I mean. Yet if I said something had a surreal or a glorious soundstage you would not have a clue as to what kind of soundstage it is. From the very beginning I have been debating the labels. 
Quote:
All you freaking did was change the freakin' labels.  
Its not about the labels, it about the concepts!

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Concepts my arse if I told you something has a wide and deep soundstage you would know what I mean. Yet if I said something had a surreal or a glorious soundstage you would not have a clue as to what kind of soundstage it is. From the very beginning I have been debating the labels. 

And I'm telling you its stupid to debate the labels because they are all relative to each other and because most people already understand what each category is supposed to mean.

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 36
tisb0b you need to relax... Clearly you seem to be sure that you find no value from these charts.

However, I for one am very glad that you put this up Jack! Thanks for the informative chart. It gives me a much better idea of how your amps stack against each other. Looks like I made the right choice to go for the WA6SE :)

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 36
Thank you for the chart, it makes the decisions much easier. The rankinks are great too :p

P.S. some typos in chart "dyanmic" etc., perhaps could be fixed

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #27 of 36
Excellent, you know what customers want. It would be perfect if most of vendors do it.

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #29 of 36
I am in the market for another headphone amp and Woo Audio is on my short list.  I found the chart very useful and timely.  I had no trouble interpreting the subjective adjectives (I would have done Outstanding, Excellent, Very Good, Good and Fine, but that is just my 1 to 5 scale).  As to the comment that the chart was done to help sell more of their amps - of course it was!  Woo Audio's success depends on them selling more amps!  All kinds of companies make comparison charts of their products, it is a good sales / marketing tool.  

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 36
Thanks for the feedback so far. There is much more to say about these amps.

While I welcome your comments, I would not expect the choice of words make someone upset. The purpose of the comparisons is to give you a general idea of what you would look for an amp among the products. We tried to avoid using a number for the rating because sound quality is neither an absolute measurement nor quantifiable. This is not a sales pitch either, but an attempt to help you to make a choice. At the end of the day, the decision comes down to you.

Feel free to PM or email us if you have any comment or question.

Regards,
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back