Publication: Woo Audio Amplifier Comparisons
Mar 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 36
good to see the max output powah for the wa6.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
 Rating: Surreal -> Glorious -> Excellent -> Great -> Fine

Someone's having a little fun with the adjectives, huh?

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 36
What drugs were you taking when you came up with "Surreal -> Glorious -> Excellent -> Great -> Fine"? Those ratings are absolutely worthless to anyone thats trying to decide between the amps. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:
What drugs were you taking when you came up with "Surreal -> Glorious -> Excellent -> Great -> Fine"? Those ratings are absolutely worthless to anyone thats trying to decide between the amps. 

Well no, they aren't useless.  They're just whimsical.

Its just a scale with weird labels on it.  If I told you that the soundstage was "glockenspiel" that would be pretty useless on its own.  If I told you that glockenspiel > zebra > green then now you know know something.  The labels themselves don't matter.  Only the ranking does.

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
 If I told you that glockenspiel > zebra > green then now you know know something.

In the context of a soundstage I still know nothing that I can relate it to that I would be able to base my buying decision on. Rating something quantifiable with a bunch of unrelated variables with no justification as to what they actually mean makes the ranking system useless.    

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:
In the context of a soundstage I still know nothing that I can relate it to that I would be able to base my buying decision on. Rating something quantifiable with a bunch of unrelated variables with no justification as to what they actually mean makes the ranking system useless.    

It means that they think one is better than the other.  No one has invented any quantitative measurement of soundstage so how much more precise could they possibly be, especially if they wanted to fit it in to a simple chart?  Its not the most useful thing they could post, I'd prefer RMAA measurements as well, but it isn't completely useless.

Do you want a dissertation on how each one resolves acoustic spatial information?  All its supposed to say is "in this area, we think that amp A we make is better than amp B we make".

Mar 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 36
No but something as simple as "Fine = Small and narrow, Surreal = Wide and deep" which adds meaning to behind those words that people are able to relate to. 

Quote:
It means that they think one is better than the other.  No one has invented any quantitative measurement of soundstage so how much more precise could they possibly be, especially if they wanted to fit it in to a simple chart?

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:
No but something as simple as "Fine = Small and narrow, Surreal = Wide and deep" which adds meaning to behind those words that people are able to relate to.

And then they'd have to do that with every other category, and by the time they were done they'd have written a full fledged review and comparison instead of a simple chart...

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #12 of 36

Quote:
And then they'd have to do that with every other category, and by the time they were done they'd have written a full fledged review and comparison instead of a simple chart...

Soundstaging: Width, Depth, Height eg. Narrow, Deep, Short 
Dynamic Response: Fast/Medium/Slow
Resolution of Tone: High/Medium/Low
Resolution of Detail: High/Medium/Low
Naturalness: High/Medium/Low
Euphonic: High/Medium/Low

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 36
Which is exactly what they've already done but with different labels.  Jesus christ this is getting nowhere.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #15 of 36
how do those words not help? he made a chart comparing his own amps. is he required to label the one amp that has the least soundstage as "small soundstage"?   youre right mavrick, bob's posts are useless.  ruining a perfectly good thing Jack did and was in no way required to do. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back