Public ABX Test (Show Off Your Ears)
Aug 14, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #19 of 83
Notice how all the "golden ears" in this forum avoid this!

See ya
Steve

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #21 of 83
I'd like to give this a go but I do have one concern about the test. Presumably it is using Java sound libraries, which means it's going through Windows kmixer.

I always listen with kernel streaming so I get a pure bitstream to the DAC. Anything that goes through kmixer is being resampled to 48khz, and although I have not ABX tested I'm fairly sure I can tell the difference.

Aug 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything that goes through kmixer is being resampled to 48khz, and although I have not ABX tested I'm fairly sure I can tell the difference.

No, Kmixer will not resample if there is a single stream playing. It only resamples if two or more streams of varying sample rates play together.

Aug 15, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #23 of 83
Sadly this thread doesn't get a lot of attention, wonder why
very_evil_smiley.gif

Gave it a quick try myself a few days ago, no success, was guessing all the way. I'm going to give it one more go and try to take it more seriously, however, I think the result will be somewhat the same..
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #24 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly this thread doesn't get a lot of attention, wonder why
very_evil_smiley.gif

Gave it a quick try myself a few days ago, no success, was guessing all the way. I'm going to give it one more go and try to take it more seriously, however, I think the result will be somewhat the same..
rolleyes.gif

Please do show your results to others though. The more people actually participate the more accurate the results will be.

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do show your results to others though. The more people actually participate the more accurate the results will be.

I'll do it again then. I gave up on the second comparison because I was just guessing.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #28 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the more flawed data the more accurate the flawed results will be...

I made the same kind of poll a while ago. It was flawed, sure, but it also showed that most people here are not able to hear the difference between a well encoded lossy file and a lossless one.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #30 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you why I'm not taking the test and probably others.
The set up conditions and instructions are too much for my limited interest in the subject.

This is what happens when you do not give such strict instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back