Public ABX Test (Show Off Your Ears)
Jul 29, 2007 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 83

HiFiRE

100+ Head-Fier
Some of you may remember the discussion I started months back about wanting to have a public ABX test for head-fiers. I found myself bored this saturday afternoon and decided to finally make it happen.

The purpose of this test is to prove that you can differentiate MP3 from Lossless. If you're new to the idea of ABX tests Wikipedia has some info here and here.

[size=medium]How to participate:[/size]
  • Download Java ABC/HR here. It requires Java 1.5, it's available here.
  • Extract Java ABC/HR
  • Download the RARed samples. There are two samples to choose from, you can do one or both. A config file is included in the rar file.
    1. Dave Matthews Band - Two Step
    2. Guns N Roses - Live and Let Die
  • Extract the sample and config from the file you downloaded in step 3.
  • Double Click abchr.jar from the Java ABC/HR file you extracted in step 2.
  • Click Open ABC/HR Config
  • Select the ECF file you extracted in step 4.
  • Check "Show name in results file" and type in your head-fi name.
  • Click ABX
  • Change Sample B to Sample 1.
  • Click Testing Mode.
  • ABX (See Below)
  • Click Finish
  • Close the ABX window by clicking the X in the top right hand corner.
  • Click File->Save Test Results and make sure your head-fi name and the song name are in the file name.
  • Email the results file to me at hifire {at} gmail {dot} com

[size=medium]How To ABX (Step 12) [/size]

Excerpt from this page.

Quote:

The ABX mode is meant to allow the listener to identify subtle differences between any two samples. Typically, one of the samples will be the original file. One of the samples is assigned to be 'A' and the other is assigned to be 'B'. Either sample A or Sample B is randomly assigned to be 'X'. The listener must determine whether X is the same as A or B. By performing this test multiple times, the listener can show with a specified level of confidence that his results are not by chance alone.

So if you think X is the same as A, click X is A and click "Next Trial", but if you think X is the same as B, click X is B and click "Next Trial". You'll want to do many trials. The more you do, the more significant your results will be. The minimum number of trials is 10. Any less and your results won't be very reliable.

When you're finished the ABX, don't close the window, just follow steps 13+.

[size=medium]Notes[/size]
  1. Results are encrypted so falsifying data is unlikely.
  2. The MP3 encoder is Lame 3.97 using preset v2.
  3. This is my first such test, so feedback is welcome!
  4. My instructions could probably do with some fleshing out, so feel free to ask questions and make suggestions.

[size=x-large]Results[/size]

joze7205: 6/10 pval = 0.376
zachary80: 7/12 pval = 0.387
ailevin: 13/22, pval = 0.261
scompton: 5/10 pval = 0.623
agnostic: 3/10 pval = 0.945
Hardwired: 7/10 pval = 0.171
Haibane: 7/12 pval = 0.387

Over at the hydrogenaudio forums, a value less than or equal to 5% (0.05) is generally considered significant.

Should anyone want to participate in the future, they can feel free to email me their results and I will happily post scores in this thread. You can try the test multiple times and I will post your best score, although this does break the rules of a proper ABX test.

[size=medium]Thoughts[/size]

Obviously this is a very difficult test and I would think only a very small portion of people can pass it. If you can't distinguish between mp3 and lossless that doesn't mean you're wasting your time/money on expensive gear and it certainly doesn't mean that using lossless is wasteful.

I for one rip to lossless because I want the best sound possible. Even if I can't reliably distinguish from mp3, using lossless gives me peace of mind. This test wasn't intended to paint lossless advocates as delusional, but rather confirm that lame is a strong audio encoder even when using high end gear.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 83
This could be interesting

Tested using my studio monitors with their mediocre souce (mobilepre). I'm curious whether a difference would be apparent through my headphone rig, but thats not really testable

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 83
I'm not sure why this thread hasn't garnered much attention.

Here's a tip to help you AB the Dave Matthews Track: pay attention to the bass towards the end of the sample. The mp3 version seems to lack the punch of the lossless version.

Aug 2, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 83
My ears and/or setup : F-A-I-L

I have not done it much, but once I only got 3 out of 10 correct.

XP Pro SP2 -> AV-710 -> 5.20a Drivers -> HQ Alt Out -> CMoy w/OPA2107 -> SR-80's or FX33's

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 83
Do the tracks provided have lots of cymbals and/or "airness"? Those are the best giveaways IMO. And before anyone asks, yes I'll try it anyway this weekend.

Aug 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 83
The reason why this thread isn't getting much attention: It's been rehashed 40000000 times. If you want to spend your time ABXing, there's a forum just for you: hydrogen audio.

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason the audio file isn't playing for me when I click on "Play A" or "Play B".

Same thing happened to me. I went back to the first screen and changed the playback options and it worked. The playback options list had 4 options. My PC has a disabled sound card and a EMU 0404 USB. The default was Port EMU 0404 USB, whatever that is. I changed it to EMU 0404 USB and it worked.

As for results. It's not worth publishing because I couldn't tell a difference. I might as well hit A is X for every one. It would be meaningless. The equipment I was using was the computer to the EMU 0404 USB to the NAD 3155 to the K601, Fostex T30, or Stax SR-5. My equipment is not a problem.

I guess I didn't understand ABX tests. I thought you were supposed to compare different samples, not the same samples over and over. The test I want to do for myself is to figure out exactly how much compression I can use before I hear a problem, which must mean multiple tests.

I also don't like the length of these samples because my memory is not good enough to compare 3 30 second samples. 10 second samples is probably more my speed. Now that I have the software, I guess I need to go to Hydrogen Audio and read up, maybe start a thread.

Edit: Just curious, what is the bit rate for Lame 3.97 using preset v2?

Aug 3, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I didn't understand ABX tests. I thought you were supposed to compare different samples, not the same samples over and over. The test I want to do for myself is to figure out exactly how much compression I can use before I hear a problem, which must mean multiple tests.

I also don't like the length of these samples because my memory is not good enough to compare 3 30 second samples. 10 second samples is probably more my speed. Now that I have the software, I guess I need to go to Hydrogen Audio and read up, maybe start a thread.

Look at Foobar's ABX function. It allows you to set start and end points so that you can make your comparisons as short or as long as you'd like.

Quote:

It averages around 180kbps to 205kbps, though individual frames can be as high as 320kbps or as low as 32kbps.

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason the audio file isn't playing for me when I click on "Play A" or "Play B".

Click Options Menu -> Settings -> Playback, and make sure your playback device is set to something.

Aug 5, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can shorten the clip to your liking. At the bottom of the ABX window it says "Playback Range Selection" you can click and drag the desired portions of the sample.

The bitrate can vary quite widely. It's more a perceived quality measure than a bitrate measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back