Public ABX Test (Show Off Your Ears)
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #47 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What compression / sample was the mp3?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MP3 encoder is Lame 3.97 using preset v2.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Not familiar with that. What is that equivalent to in AAC land?

Here is a listening test done at 128kbps... while not the same, this is the best data I can find.

resultsz2.png

Image from here: http://www.listening-tests.info/mf-128-1/results.htm

Edit: this information doesn't answer your question. Feel free to ignore it. But! the v2 preset with lame produces around ~190kbps vbr files, sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

To see how aac compares at similar bitrates, check out this site.

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #52 of 83
Quote:

Thanks Febs so 190kbps that would similar to the last test I took at 192AAC correct.

If so 14/16 in a previous Foobar ABX thread

Febs will back it up or do a search!

As a matter of fact, I think that it was this thread that inspired HiFIRE to put together this test, where the results are encrypted.

But yes, these are roughly comparable bitrates, so why not test the test and see if you can pass it?

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #53 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a matter of fact, I think that it was this thread that inspired HiFIRE to put together this test, where the results are encrypted.

But yes, these are roughly comparable bitrates, so why not test the test and see if you can pass it?

Can I run it on MAC?

I downloaded and it says on on other than windows to run from command prompt????

HELP! MAC 10.4.10

WAIT I think I got it!

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #54 of 83
Thru Mac headphone out 6/10 I would love to try this on my Imod somehow!

The only thing I think this confirms is the DAC in the iMAC sucks!! LOL!!!!

Although ashamed by the results it leaves the question would a better rig give better results?

Could my HP notebook (last test) have a better headphone out??? I should compare.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #55 of 83
Sent my results. 7/10 on the GnR file. I used to like that song but I won't listen to it for a while after this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #58 of 83
I don't plan to take this test because I'm pretty sure that I won't hear a difference. Some weeks a go I thought that I noticed MP3 artifacts while listening to some tracks. Then I ABXed them against the original and it clearly proved me wrong. I could not tell the difference at all. That is a good example for the nocebo (or negative placebo) effect. People know it's lossy encoded and expect something to be different, to the extent that they're imagining things.

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #59 of 83
Darn it, for some reason I can't get the test to work. When I hit "play x" nothing happens. I did import the DMB music into an itunes playlist, then set it to random, and so far I keep getting it right... I did a similar test with myself last week using Samuel Barber's first symphony and got 7 out of 8 correct on that blind test.

...I'd love to score one for team lossless if someone can help me troubleshoot the program. BTW, major props to the OP for setting this up. Outstanding organization and instructions. I wish head-fi used more blind tests, or maybe I should say I wish more head-fiers believed in using blind tests
rolleyes.gif
Of course, I suppose sworn testimonials are more exciting than science. Maybe that's why Head-Fi's membership is significantly larger than HydrogenAudio's?

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #60 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn it, for some reason I can't get the test to work. When I hit "play x" nothing happens. HydrogenAudio's?

Try clicking options->settings->playback, then select a playback device

Sometimes that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back