PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Dec 7, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #121 of 330
Great price on a great IEM. I think they are worth their retail tag but anything saved is always welcome :).

I picked my pair up used off Canuck Audio Mart for $210 after shipping and fees. It turns out they only had about 1.5 hrs of use as the original owner decided to upgrade his home stereo and sold them to help pay for the upgrade. So feel very happy with my purchase too.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #122 of 330
Great price on a great IEM. I think they are worth their retail tag but anything saved is always welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

I picked my pair up used off Canuck Audio Mart for $210 after shipping and fees. It turns out they only had about 1.5 hrs of use as the original owner decided to upgrade his home stereo and sold them to help pay for the upgrade. So feel very happy with my purchase too.

For sure. Like I said, PSB products, critics agree, offer really good value for money. Some reviews of the M4U 4:s claim they stand up against IEM:s 2x or even 3x their price.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #124 of 330
Great price on a great IEM. I think they are worth their retail tag but anything saved is always welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

You got them from James W in Vernon BC? Very knowledgeable guy!

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #125 of 330
That's the guy and yes he seems pretty knowledgeable. Patient too because he still sold to me even though a waffled on him once.

Having listened to them now these are completely under the radar for how good they are.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #126 of 330
That's the guy and yes he seems pretty knowledgeable. Patient too because he still sold to me even though a waffled on him once.

Having listened to them now these are completely under the radar for how good they are.

I'm honestly baffled as to why the M4U line of headphones hasn't had a larger commercial breakthrough. Even here in Sweden, where AKG, Beyer-Dynamic and Sennheiser 'phones are somewhat commonplace (Germany is close to Sweden, after all, and our music export tradition might have something to do with it), the Beats trend is very strong. I'd say at least 60% of headphones I see on my daily commute to work are Beats. The on-ear and in-ear models are particularly common. I've yet to see another person with a set of M4U 2:s, and I doubt I will unless I seek them out! :D

Where trends in interior design, phones, dining and drinking seem to turn toward "quality should cost" or "only the finest", the headphones market in Sweden seems to be going towards the "fashion statement" direction...

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with wanting to look good while listening to music, but for me, functionality comes before form. The M4U 2:s might not be the most attractive pair of headphones to wear out on the town, but I'm far too busy enjoying the fantastic sound they deliver to even care remotely about people sniggering at me! :D

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #127 of 330
Very long time lurker. I’ve found head-fi massively useful over the years and have gone through some great headphones, but I wouldn’t class myself as an audiophile.

I’ve gone from CX-300s (broke) to Denon AH-C751s (still going, but heavy and muddy sound) and more recently Hifiman RE-400s (no longer fixable with superglue). It's time to upgrade, and the M4U 4's look perfect from what I’ve read here. I really want a wide soundstage and the ability to listen to loads of genres of music (some electronic and hiphop but others too), and detachable cable because I’m sick of my headphones breaking at that weak point.

I’m hoping to demo to the M4U 4's tomorrow, and was wondering:

1. Would they benefit from a portable amp, or will they be ok running from my iPhone 6s?
2. How well do they respond to EQ on the odd occasion I do want a little more bass?

I’m probably going to need to upgrade my ATH-M50s soon as they’re showing their age after 5 years of daily usage while commuting. The M4U 2's may be an option if things go well with the 4's!

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #128 of 330
I think they work wonderfully from LG G3 phone but ultimately you will know when you have a listen.

Btw if the pair your trying is brand new I found my pair changed quite a bit over the first day of use gaining more authority so may seem too polite.

I will play with the bass setting on my phone on my ride home and post back the results.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #129 of 330
Very long time lurker. I’ve found head-fi massively useful over the years and have gone through some great headphones, but I wouldn’t class myself as an audiophile.

I’ve gone from CX-300s (broke) to Denon AH-C751s (still going, but heavy and muddy sound) and more recently Hifiman RE-400s (no longer fixable with superglue). It's time to upgrade, and the M4U 4's look perfect from what I’ve read here. I really want a wide soundstage and the ability to listen to loads of genres of music (some electronic and hiphop but others too), and detachable cable because I’m sick of my headphones breaking at that weak point.

I’m hoping to demo to the M4U 4's tomorrow, and was wondering:

1. Would they benefit from a portable amp, or will they be ok running from my iPhone 6s?
2. How well do they respond to EQ on the odd occasion I do want a little more bass?

I’m probably going to need to upgrade my ATH-M50s soon as they’re showing their age after 5 years of daily usage while commuting. The M4U 2's may be an option if things go well with the 4's!

I'm simply using my Tidal stream "offline" using my iphone 6 plus. I've tested my M4u4's with my Burson Virtuoso and auditioned an Astell & Kern Jr music player. Yes there is a difference but one must justify the investment in "on the run"  music listening.  I am completely satisfied with the SQ of the PSB IEM's with my iPhone. There is some more details and clarity with the Burson and A&K jr. player but it's not worlds apart. I honestly don't think you'd hear a big difference if your listening to electronica and hiphop. Don't underestimate the SQ capabilities of the 6 series iPhone. I've always used android phones and I'll have to admit my transition to an iphone 6 plus has been a very good jump in SQ difference compared to my Samsung Note 4.  

I don't require anymore bass from the PSB so I've never looked into EQ  usage. 

You may find the RE600 and B&O H3 may have more clarity with your iphone but you must consider the removable cables in your purchase decision. 

The M4u4 will have decent soundstage but for the inexpensive IEM's the H3 soundstage is massive compared to the M4u4. The catch is the H3 does not have very good noise isolation due to venting. 

I've compared the ATH-M70x, PSB m4u2  to my Denon AH400 and there's a definite step up. 

Have fun auditioning :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #130 of 330
I never use the LG G3 eq and when I tried it does not sound very good because bass boost affects the rest of the signature instead of just the bass. I will try my iPad mini 2 when I have time tonight and see how the bass boost in it functions. But ultimately you will have to see how the iPhone 6 does in this regard.

Dec 7, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #131 of 330
Hmmmm, I tried my large JVC spiral tips and don't like them. Then thought about swedishbass' comment about using the small comply tips (I tried the mediums initially) and I will be darned, if I use the small I can go much deeper and get a more flush fit while getting a good seal and my ears don't feel as stuffed. I will have to see if I start to get itchy ears but so far I am liking this fit.

Sound wise I actually find the treble somewhere between the silicone tips and the medium comply tips which I am enjoying.I did notice I was starting to get a bit of ear fatigue from the silicone tips so maybe these or possibly hybrids might be needed for me.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #132 of 330
I didn't like the bass EQ on my iPad mini 2. In both devices the bass was increased a bit but the mids were dulled which ruined the magic of the M4U4 for me. To be honest the increase was minimal in both cases and on the mini started to clip all while compressing the rest of the sound.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #133 of 330
Hmmmm, I tried my large JVC spiral tips and don't like them. Then thought about swedishbass' comment about using the small comply tips (I tried the mediums initially) and I will be darned, if I use the small I can go much deeper and get a more flush fit while getting a good seal and my ears don't feel as stuffed. I will have to see if I start to get itchy ears but so far I am liking this fit.

Sound wise I actually find the treble somewhere between the silicone tips and the medium comply tips which I am enjoying.I did notice I was starting to get a bit of ear fatigue from the silicone tips so maybe these or possibly hybrids might be needed for me.

Nice to hear (pun intended)! Getting that optimal fit is IEM 101 to me, it's amazing how much of a difference a few millimetres can make for the sound.

I didn't like the bass EQ on my iPad mini 2. In both devices the bass was increased a bit but the mids were dulled which ruined the magic of the M4U4 for me. To be honest the increase was minimal in both cases and on the mini started to clip all while compressing the rest of the sound.

Yeah, I haven't used EQ from any audio source since I got my M4U 2:s. Since the sound is so rich and balanced, there is absolutely no need for it, if you ask me.

I'm a bass player, but even I want accurate and neutral bass.

I think it all depends on the audio source. Most players have a tendency to bleed bass into mids, causing muddy sound.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #135 of 330
For what it's worth, my portable set up is simple and small:  Fiio X1 & PSB M4U 4 with small stock silicones

Honestly, I need no more than that.

I could honestly use my iPhone 5 as source (Music or Spotify) and never need to worry about SQ. My M4U 2:s feel like they can make any music shine, regardless of source...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back