PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Nov 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #91 of 330
  Day 2 and am really loving the M4U4s.  The 'Room Feel' tech is not just marketing hype, it seems - Barton really does seem to have nailed a sense of instrument placement and frequency balance which is as true to listening to a 2 speaker set up in real life as I have heard in an IEM.  Superb stuff.

For those of you in UK who might be interested in these -  I got mine from Advanced MP3 Players, with 10% off using the code AMP22.   So £206.10 if you go for free shipping.

Toom, 

After I auditioned other earphones in this price range I think the PSB's do have a decent sound stage. I felt the advertisement of "Room Feel" seems like extra adjectives for advertisement to describe this earphone. The flatter neutral presentation is still a relatively small intimate soundstage as long as the source does not artificially create a larger one. My Concero HD DAC (now sold) created an overly exaggerated artificial sounding massive soundstage in "pure bit" mode and even when it filtered. To my ears this dac was not a good match for the HD800.   In a two channel hifi system if the speaker dispersion is excellent the 2 speakers disappear and you feel a 3d holographic sensation as if your listening to a well calibrated 5.1 or 9.1 theater setup. PSB soundstage still feels quite closed similar to an HD650 headphone imo. HD650 has a marginally slightly larger soundstage. 

For low volume listening I do wonder if a vented earphone does a better job. The cheaper H3 (similar price range)  earphone's dispersion of sound provides a much open atmosphere soundstage. I would describe the sound more suited to a "room feel" than the PSB smaller enclosed soundstage. 

The more I listen to my set of PSB's I can see how "in store" auditioning can be misleading. Why? Unless you do not invest in a lot of time at the store you cannot get a true feel of how a short honeymoon session of "WOW factor" impression can turn into a fatiguing set of earphones over a long hearing session at home or on the run. 

The PSB has been pleasant with full body of music with no shrilling or over powering bass head pounding. These earphones are acceptably smooth but that's probably due to the roll off of high frequencies. Pleasant listening experience :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #92 of 330
  Day 2 and am really loving the M4U4s.  The 'Room Feel' tech is not just marketing hype, it seems - Barton really does seem to have nailed a sense of instrument placement and frequency balance which is as true to listening to a 2 speaker set up in real life as I have heard in an IEM.  Superb stuff.

For those of you in UK who might be interested in these -  I got mine from Advanced MP3 Players, with 10% off using the code AMP22.   So £206.10 if you go for free shipping.

The Room Feel is the added gain (better term than feel)) in the bass region to account for the added gain that a listening room provides to a set of speakers. Paul mentioned that was what he thought was wrong with the Harmon FR curve and "RoomFeel" or RoomGain fixes this issue. I'm glad you're loving them!

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #93 of 330
Anyone else tried or got these?

I've gone back to using comply-style tips with my M4s, but with the curved end cur off to level them off to open up the sound.

And they're just majestic IEMs. The more I use them, the more I fall in love with them.  Even down to their look and feel, which seems to push all my buttons.

God I need help.

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #94 of 330
  Anyone else tried or got these?

I've gone back to using comply-style tips with my M4s, but with the curved end cur off to level them off to open up the sound.

And they're just majestic IEMs. The more I use them, the more I fall in love with them.  Even down to their look and feel, which seems to push all my buttons.

God I need help.

I have not, was hoping for a black friday sale which i dont thing is going to happen. will probably get them anyways in the next month or so.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #95 of 330
I managed to find a used pair. Should have them sometime next week. It will be interesting to see how they compare to my Z5. I am hoping the bass won't be dialed to far back. I wouldn't mind if they are a bit less though and will be thrillednif they manage to have close to the same sound stage with hopefully better isolation.

I am also interested to see if they use the same coax connector as the Z5. It could be fun trying them out in balanced mode with the Pono.

Nov 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #97 of 330
I think the pricepoint of these IEM's is a fantastic deal when it comes to having removable cables (set of 2, i use the volume control w/ mic).  If your seeking accentuated high's and artificial boost in bass these will not be your IEM's to get.....

If I had to describe the "sound" after a lot of use since I bought them I'd say these are fatigue free "safe" bet in very good quality SQ on the go!

Since I do not listen to music that loud I'll say these IEM's are very good at noise isolation. If you want ultra clarity these are NOT the IEM's.  As I've mentioned before the B&O H3 have more sparkle at top yet still does not make the music fatiguing to my ears. The H3 with vented rears have a noticeably better wider soundstage that I wished my PSB's had. 

As for compromise the PSB's do not sound as good in jazz vocals to the H3 however I want/need removable cables. This is the only reason I decided to go for the PSB. If the B&O H3 (or hifiman RE600) had removable cables I would have never purchased the PSB's. 

PSB's is a good compromise that I do not regret. I think to surpass SQ to a different league I think the $1000+price range is truly required. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #98 of 330
  I think the pricepoint of these IEM's is a fantastic deal when it comes to having removable cables (set of 2, i use the volume control w/ mic).  If your seeking accentuated high's and artificial boost in bass these will not be your IEM's to get.....

If I had to describe the "sound" after a lot of use since I bought them I'd say these are fatigue free "safe" bet in very good quality SQ on the go!

Since I do not listen to music that loud I'll say these IEM's are very good at noise isolation. If you want ultra clarity these are NOT the IEM's.  As I've mentioned before the B&O H3 have more sparkle at top yet still does not make the music fatiguing to my ears. The H3 with vented rears have a noticeably better wider soundstage that I wished my PSB's had. 

As for compromise the PSB's do not sound as good in jazz vocals to the H3 however I want/need removable cables. This is the only reason I decided to go for the PSB. If the B&O H3 (or hifiman RE600) had removable cables I would have never purchased the PSB's. 

PSB's is a good compromise that I do not regret. I think to surpass SQ to a different league I think the $1000+price range is truly required. 

What tips are you using?

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #99 of 330

I've been considering the PSB's - & I also have a pair of the H3's. You imply that you don't feel the PSB's are better - but is there any area where they beat the H3's?

I'm always surprised the H3's don't get much attention on Head-fi as I too find them supremely well-tuned. I think the B&O brand is dismissed out of hand by Head-Fiers as being too mainstream & all style-over-substance - which is largely justified with the majority of their kit - but the H3's genuinely aren't.

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #101 of 330

What tips are you using?

It all depends......

I've been using the memory foam tips...why???? because when I wear them at work I usually use them while I'm running around and eating at the same time. The foam tips comfortably fit in my ears without the IEM's walking out. 

If I'm not using the provided foam tips I'll use the small silicon tips. 

So Toom, sounds like your diggin' your new IEM's. I really like them since I can really relax and enjoy music without shrilling treble. The price is still a good chunk of change but still remarkable for the "league" of IEM's in the price range of 200 to even 600++++ range. The fact that these IEM's are playing in the "Neutral" zone of sound there are only so many IEM's to choose from. I was surprised how many earphones have been designed with accentuated high's and artificial bass.  

For people reading about the M4u 4's I'd say these dig deep enough for rich bass but no overbearing and the high's have been rolled off enough for even tinnitus sufferers/sensitive people with high treble.  

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #102 of 330

I've been considering the PSB's - & I also have a pair of the H3's. You imply that you don't feel the PSB's are better - but is there any area where the H3's are superior?

I'm always surprised the H3's don't get much attention on Head-fi as I too find them supremely well-tuned. I think the B&O brand is dismissed out of hand by Head-Fiers as being too mainstream & all style-over-substance - which is largely justified with the majority of their kit - but the H3's genuinely aren't.

I really really dig the H3. Infact since they have a 2 yrs warranty and extended 1 year with online reg (3yrs) I will probably buy a pair.

The B&O with my mellow type of music/jazz/meditation  music is fantastic. The clarity and balance of frequencies are without a doubt superior to the PSB to my ears. The Bass on both units are very good for me (non basshead).  The PSB's seem to dig deeper in the lows. However the H3's cables seemed to be designed to "not" go behind the ears. In some ways they become a transferring microphonic device :frowning2: however in some cases they are much faster to put in your ears!!!! Its a compromise people must determine if these IEM's are good for their application. 

I guess there's no such thing is superior since there is always pros/cons. The H3 is EXTREMELY a very enjoyable IEM that is priced well below it's performance. Man if the H3's seriously had removable cables at the same current price point......that would be incredible!!!

If you do an a/b comparison of the h3/PSB you would think the PSB is veiled. The H3 has a breath of  fresh air with it's wider sound stage and clarity.

As I said I chose PSB for the removable cables with very good SQ that is not offensive in the high's. I've auditioned much more expensive IEM's with shrill or too much bass. The PSB really suited my sensitive ears :) 

I think many folks should audition the H3 along side the PSB. I would assume they will agree with my observations. Even my local shop I go to thinks the hifiman RE600/400 and H3 are fantastic especially at the price point. The only concern is durability. Removable cables is a criteria on my list. The H3 can be an issue but with a 3yrs warrantly....I'm willing to roll the dice as a set of IEM's I rotate in my coat pocket :)  I'm really thinking of picking up a set of H3's as well.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #104 of 330
I will compare against my Z5 when my pair arrives later this week or early next week.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #105 of 330
I will compare against my Z5 when my pair arrives later this week or early next week.

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back