PSB Speakers M4U 4 --- Hybrid BA/Dynamic IEM
Dec 8, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #137 of 330
Living in an extremely windy area I have learned to accept that I will always have to live with some wind noise. The M4U4 is no exception, but they are as good as the most wind resistant IEMs I have owned. They do look like they might have a very small port on the back of the shell just underneath the metal plate but if it is a port it does not whistle or anything like the Z5 and most ported IEMs do.

So I have changed my tips again LOL. I decided I needed to reduce the treble a bit even though I liked it (ear fatigue/protection) so I tried Sony hybrids again as they seemed to attenuate the treble similarly to comply tips but with out the itchiness I get from foam. I am actually using a medium tip in my right ear and a large tip in my left ear. The ultimate in comfort for me and the sound is a bit more subdued. I do prefer the added vividness of the stock tips so I will keep them around for the times I really want that bit more.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #138 of 330
hey guys, I'm new to head-fi forum. Decided to share my two cents on M4U 4 fitting issue I'm having.

The IEM comes with 2 cables: one with integrated mic, the other without the mic. The one with mic has a rubber coating close to the earbuds connectors, which makes the cable more stiff and less flexible, hence I'm having difficulties with proper fit. The cable should go over the ear, closely behind the auricle, which is impossible due to the rubber coating and the cable goes way above the ear.

The 'no mic' cable is perfect - no fitting problems.

Have you observed similar issues?

BTW, the SQ is outstanding, definitely enough bass with the comply tips. Verizon Smart Rewards has pretty good deal for that IEM - with 11,700 point, you pay: $182.00.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #139 of 330
Yup I have the same issue with the mic cable. It is a bit annoying but still comfortable for me. I think it reduces the effectiveness of cable noise reduction usually associated with over the ear fitting. But it is still pretty darned good in that area anyway.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #144 of 330
nice small review and he even commented on what I've mentioned:
[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]"[/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]the M4U 4 came up a little short on resolution and treble clarity[COLOR=333333]"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I still really dig these IEM's!![/COLOR]

I dunno. Compared to the RHA T20:s, the 4:s were more detailed, I felt. Treble was sharper on the T20, but I accounted that to the overall v-shape of the sound. The PSB set definitely felt more resolving and overall musical sounding.

I am not a treble head, I suppose, but I always found the treble in the M4U 2:s perfect. Sparkle for the highest of cymbals, yet never harsh or shrill. The T20:s, in comparison had much more forward and slightly aggressive treble.

What IEM:s in the same price range offer more resolution, in your opinion? I'd like to sample them myself if I could, to get a broader perspective. :)

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #145 of 330
Steve mentioned clarity not being on par with BA based IEMs. I can imagine the better BAs having more clarity but the also cost more, or the clarity is at the expense of musicality, or naturalness, fatigue, or bass presence. For me all of the above has to be taken into consideration. I think Steve's ultimate score and comments show that while he conceded the detail to pure BA configurations he prefered the M4U4 overall.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #146 of 330
I wonder what tips Steve used. I really find the stock silicone tips offer a ton of detail. I just switched back because I was missing the detail and thought I would see if I could force myself to listen at a bit lower volume so I could enjoy that extra bit and it is quite a bit of difference in reality. The songs I am listening to now display things like the person's fingers sliding on the guitar strings and such where as with the Sony Hybrid and comply tips you can just barely make out that type of sound (lower volume listening).

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #147 of 330
I dunno. Compared to the RHA T20:s, the 4:s were more detailed, I felt. Treble was sharper on the T20, but I accounted that to the overall v-shape of the sound. The PSB set definitely felt more resolving and overall musical sounding.

I am not a treble head, I suppose, but I always found the treble in the M4U 2:s perfect. Sparkle for the highest of cymbals, yet never harsh or shrill. The T20:s, in comparison had much more forward and slightly aggressive treble.

What IEM:s in the same price range offer more resolution, in your opinion? I'd like to sample them myself if I could, to get a broader perspective.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've mentioned before that I really preferred the B&O H3 IEM's. However the major drawback was non removable cables.

I was questioning my ears....I asked the headphone shop if my ears were deceiving me. I was supported by a neutral comment that the H3's are excellent in the arena of more expensive IEM's.

The H3's had more sparkle but not offensive. They had a much more vast open soundstage compared to the M4U4's. A/B comparison the PSB's high frequency roll of lacks the clarity of the H3. However the H3 has more clarity while maintaining a "full sound" frequency response.

Ultimately I prefer to spend more money on my 2 channel system so I didn't go too crazy on IEM's.  The PSB's had removable cables so this basically made me decide to buy the M4U4's. 

I do not like to have too much sparkle or over powering bass. The M4U4 is without a doubt an extremely safe IEM to buy for anyone looking for incredible performance for a great price. I still don't think the M4U4 is a king for details. It's good enough as it excels in not offending long listening "sessions".

To jump into a different league in the IEM world I am still not willing to spend $1300+ .  The way I look at IEM's is that I need to step up to that higher level  to get a dramatically "better" SQ. The more and more I read about the PSB I think it's logical to spend what I spent on the affordable PSB's. So far no IEM or Headphone has achieved the level of emotional engagement  compared to my 2 channel world. I'll have to say for little small packages I am truly grateful for the M4U4 in wonderful portable sound.   

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #148 of 330
I wonder what tips Steve used. I really find the stock silicone tips offer a ton of detail. I just switched back because I was missing the detail and thought I would see if I could force myself to listen at a bit lower volume so I could enjoy that extra bit and it is quite a bit of difference in reality. The songs I am listening to now display things like the person's fingers sliding on the guitar strings and such where as with the Sony Hybrid and comply tips you can just barely make out that type of sound (lower volume listening).

I'm tellin' ya - PSB M4U4s with small stock silicones for the win.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #149 of 330
Couldn’t find anywhere that would let me listen to these but I decided to order them this morning based on the reviews I’ve been reading. Really hope I like them, should make a good Christmas present for myself.

£206 from AMP3 plus 8.5% cashback through quidco, so £188 all together!

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #150 of 330
Couldn’t find anywhere that would let me listen to these but I decided to order them this morning based on the reviews I’ve been reading. Really hope I like them, should make a good Christmas present for myself.

£206 from AMP3 plus 8.5% cashback through quidco, so £188 all together!

Sweet bargain!  Hope you enjoy them - let us know.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back