PSB M4U 2
Sep 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #481 of 733
They are easy to drive, so I would imagine they would pair well with just about any player.  They are one of the few noise cancelling  headphones that sound great in passive mode and even offer a separate amplification mode with no noise cancellation.

This article should be helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-psb-m4u2-momentum-mdr-1r-qc15-beats-executive-dt1350-ue9000-beats-studio-2013-kef-m500-and-skullcandy-aviators

+1 but not sure if I am the only one who prefer in passive mode xD

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #483 of 733
Thanks for the thoughts on these.. another of the features that I liked was that it could be in either mode, depending on what you needed at the time.. and since I will be using these not only for our extensive traveling but at home while playing with my other new setups, I thought that this would be a first good purchase to make

Don J

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #484 of 733
Well,, the order is on it's way.. it seems like a long wait (3-5 days shipping) so I will patiently wait and start to cue up all the
music that I am dying to hear with this new setup..

Thanks again for all the reassuring advice

Don J

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #485 of 733
Anyone else feel that these headphones are extremely flimsy? I feel like I could easy snap them by just twisting them slightly. May be I'm just used to the grado's build quality?

Sep 16, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #486 of 733
Anyone else feel that these headphones are extremely flimsy? I feel like I could easy snap them by just twisting them slightly. May be I'm just used to the grado's build quality?

Not to put you down but my Grado's headband, the metal part where you adjust the size just broke on me with a few month of us but yeah, mine was defective :/

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #488 of 733

They improve the built on the headphones because when I tested a demo pair straight from PSB, the headphones were really flimsy. Also, I have found a slim 3.5mm plugs that will fit the headphones. I have Audiominor making me a custom cable and I will post back once when I receive the cable.

Sep 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #489 of 733
M
Hi everyone,
My first post here.

I was given a pair of M4U-2's as a present a while back. I have been loving them ever since, especially on the 2 hours spent on the train where the noise cancelling is a great plus.

Unfortunately, they developed the infamous headband cracking after about two weeks. I wasn't too worried, as I thought that it was aesthetic only which I can live with (thought for AU$400 headphones is disappointing).
However, this morning when I went to put them on they fell apart in my hands. The issue is the hinge relies on the plastic cover of the headband to clamp down, and when the plastic cracks near the hinge it eventually comes apart making the headphones useless without a replacement headband.

I've brought them back to the retail outlet, who advise there is a week wait for new stock. I'm hoping I got unlucky and somehow had a pair from the old stock prior to PSB attending to the cracking issue. My serial number was 1700-203xxx.

Hopefully they do have a fix as they do sound great and I love being able to turn NC off. The shop indicated that these are the only ones they have had returned, so either everyone else has smaller head than I do, or I got a particularly bad pair.

Cheers,

LukeV
[/quote my m4u2 has not cracked after three months,maybe you really got old stock

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #492 of 733
. Where did you get that cable? Does it significantly boost the SQ ? How do I get one and for how much ?

I love my PSB's but the cable seems like a potential weakness in SQ.

Thanks

I was experimenting with 3.5mm jacks to see which one would fit the M4U2's, eventually I found the silver 3.5mm slim jack. I send the 3.5mm slim jack to Bogac at AudioMinor to make me the 10 foot long cable. He gave me a discount on the cable and it's really nicely built. The cable sounds neutral, so it pairs well with the M4U2, but I have not had the chance to burn-in the cable. You can contact Bogac on this forum under the name compicat or at www.audiominor.com

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #493 of 733
Th
I was experimenting with 3.5mm jacks to see which one would fit the M4U2's, eventually I found the silver 3.5mm slim jack. I send the 3.5mm slim jack to Bogac at AudioMinor to make me the 10 foot long cable. He gave me a discount on the cable and it's really nicely built. The cable sounds neutral, so it pairs well with the M4U2, but I have not had the chance to burn-in the cable. You can contact Bogac on this forum under the name compicat or at www.audiominor.com

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to contact him after I get a new DAC/AMP.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #494 of 733
I can't believe such a small number of users here seem to find the hissing in active and ANC modes disturbing.

I bought the M4U2s yesterday and in passive mode they sound absolutely fantastic. I don't consider myself as an audiophile, I don't own other expensive audio equipment, but the difference in sound quality between these and e.g. Bose QC15s (which I tried out in a store) is enormous even to my ears.

However, immediately when I switch the amp on, the very loud hissing starts. It doesn't matter which audio source, if any, is connected - the same noise is there even if I unplug the cord from the headphone end. It even gets slightly worse when I switch to ANC, and gets an additional high-pitch buzz. Sure, if I turn the volume up, the hissing is covered by the music itself (how high volume is required depends on the music type), but still, after paying $400 for headphones which were supposed to reduce the noise and not increase it, I'm quite disappointed. After all, what I really wanted was the ability to listen to the music at low volume levels in airplane.

So, is it just that a) most people, even hardcore audiophiles, are not sensitive at all to hissing or buzzing sounds which do not belong to the music, or b) is my pair of M4U2s defective? 

I mean, should I try to get the headphones replaced - that is, is there anyone here who admits being sensitive to hissing but not hearing any from their M4U2s - or should I accept the fact that all headphones with built-in amp and/or ANC make some hissing sound and just go for passive in-ear models? On one hand it would sound very strange that people such as the professional reviewers of audio gear who are so sensitive to small nuances in sound and flatness of frequency response would not consider this level of hiss (that I have in my M4U2s) to be disruptive - on the other hand, at least one user on this thread who had the same problem already tried replacing his headset and experienced the same issue in the replacement unit, which would indicate that it's a subjective matter after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back