PSB M4U 2
May 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #16 of 733
Hi, just bought this babes today after listened Grado 325i, DT-880, D2000, Bose NC15. To me is well balance overall, just nice to me. :D

May 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #17 of 733
Possibly the most balanced headphone I've yet heard. You can really hear this in the midrange and the space that exists in the bass range.

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 733
Quote:
x2.....similar 5 mins impression...i like this can. 

x3  Not a fan of the look really nor do i have use for the noice cancellation/amp  features but with all that disabled i was surprised. It is all about the sound after all.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 733
It was kindly suggested that I copy my "review" of these cans to this post, so here it is (Link), thanks nick:

Had these for just over 2 months now and have a couple hundred hours with them. These are a very balanced headphone in terms of the frequency range they are capable of. Paul Barton (the man who designs PSB speakers) suggests this is 20-20,000 Hz @ ± 1.5 Hz, and I believe him.

I find these to be VERY comfortable. They weigh in at almost a pound, but a nice pleather padding on the headband and nice soft pleather ear-cups make them literally disappear. Unless I move my head in some direction with speed, I don't notice that I'm wearing them. I've had them on for over 10 hours straight, and never suffered warm or sweaty ears, or any discomfort at all. Perfect cans for my head it seems!

The removable cable is nice, and the ability to use either cup to connect the cable to is a bonus. There are 2 cables that come with these cans, but I've no use for the (included) ipod/iphone cable as I don't use an ipod/iphone. PSB also includes a pair of ear-pad replacements as well as a cleaning cloth for them and your first set of batteries.

These headphones operate in 3 different modes...Passive, Active, and Active w/Noise Cancellation. I currently have no need for the noise cancellation, so I don't use that mode. If you don't have batteries, the Passive mode offers a very nice sounding headphone experience. The Active mode offers a slightly enhanced low-end presence without disturbing the remaining frequencies and it nearly doubles the life of my Cowon D2. This enhanced low-end that PSB calls in-room feel is supposed to create a sound similar to that of your loudspeakers in your home. I can't really argue with this, as I've done and do comparisons with the M4U 2 headphones and the Stratus speakers with different music.

I've only listened to music with these cans thus far, no movies yet, but the sub-bass and bass performance is really quite good. I mostly listen to Drum & Bass (Big Bud, PFM, Logistics, LTJ Bukem, etc) and it shines through the M4U 2 as nicely (maybe even nicer than...?) as it does through my big-boy speakers (PSB Stratus). An oldie but goodie from the early 90's is a great way to hear the quality of the extension on these: LFO - LFO

I'm not the best person for describing sound-stage etc, as I listen to electronic music which really has no stage (?), but I was literally put right in the middle of the club while listening to Diana Krall - Live in Paris. There's much more "stage" in this CD than there is in any of my DnB CDs, and I can clearly hear where the music is coming from. I love what I'm hearing from these. Instruments are clearly separated and sound very real.

These are not just a "noise canceling headphone" as I've got a couple hundred hours on them without even using that feature and have enjoyed them immensely. Paul & Company (PSB) have produced a very nice set of "introductory" cans for their consumers.

edit: ssrock64, yes I compared them to the Shure SRH1440 and also to the AKG K701/K702 (I don't remember, it was a few months ago). The PSBs won that round, but IIRC both were below (if just) the PSB price.

Jun 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 733
Quote:
I'm curious to see if you have tried them in the active modes yet, and if so, what you think of them.

Actually I haven't. Since I have no intention of using them in anything but the passive mode, the idea of putting batteries in the earcup seems odd to me. But perhaps they were designed to have the batteries in the compartment, for balance and resonance reasons.

Now having had them for over a month, I really love the sound of these. Balanced, exciting, midrange is right there, not drooping off into the background a la Denons. There is a sparkle and natural spaciousness to the sound without any hint of brightness.You can listen at a lower volume, then when you turn it up, the sound just gets more exciting without getting harsh or in your face. Bass is all there and it's even, not peaking in certain areas. All the frequencies hang together naturally.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #22 of 733
anyone try to custom made the cable? the disadvantage is the headphone input space is limited.

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 733
Has anyone compared the PSB M4U2 to an Ultrasone Edition 8 or Signature Pro? 

I listened to these briefly as well as the Signature Pro, but was not able to A/B them.  From what I recall, The PSB is the only headphone I ever heard in its price range that could potentially compete sonically with the Signature Pro.  I recall similar impressive detail in the mids and highs.  I believe the Sig Pro still gets the nod on the low end with more of a hard hitting, deeper bass and sub bass, but the PSB was very good.  I am curious to hear other impressions and plan to A/B my new Amperiors with the M4U2.  The Amperiors are really good, but from what I recall about the M4U2, they may win out.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #24 of 733
Quote:
Has anyone compared the PSB M4U2 to an Ultrasone Edition 8 or Signature Pro? 

I listened to these briefly as well as the Signature Pro, but was not able to A/B them.  From what I recall, The PSB is the only headphone I ever heard in its price range that could potentially compete sonically with the Signature Pro.  I recall similar impressive detail in the mids and highs.  I believe the Sig Pro still gets the nod on the low end with more of a hard hitting, deeper bass and sub bass, but the PSB was very good.  I am curious to hear other impressions and plan to A/B my new Amperiors with the M4U2.  The Amperiors are really good, but from what I recall about the M4U2, they may win out.

I compared the M4U2 with the Amperior and the M4U2 wins on every level except comfort.  It had greater detail that was particularly noticeable with vocals, superior bass extension, crisper highs and handles higher volume levels without distortion.  I compared in passive mode to keep it fair.  In fairness to the Amperior, is is a great looking headphone, particularly in blue aluminum and is so light and comfortable, I forget it is on my head.  Even though I do most of my listening on the go, I am willing to sacrifice comfort for sound quality.

Jun 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #25 of 733
Quote:
anyone try to custom made the cable? the disadvantage is the headphone input space is limited.

I was considering purchasing a 10 or 12 foot cable so I can watch movies with these while on my couch. I wonder if Monoprice cables would fit?

On another note, there's a review from S&V online...they seemed to like 'em too. 
regular_smile .gif

edit: My favorite quotes: 
"Not only does the M4U 2 sound like a really great speaker, it sounds like a great speaker in a great listening room. So who wouldn’t want it? Maybe trendy types who demand a logo that others will recognize."
"Best for: Practically any human being
Worst for: Beats fans"

Jun 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #28 of 733
Quote:
Wow sounds like an interesting can. Has anyone compared these to the KRK KNS 8400s or DT1350?

Yeah. No comparison.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #30 of 733
Quote:
I compared the M4U2 with the Amperior and the M4U2 wins on every level except comfort.  It had greater detail that was particularly noticeable with vocals, superior bass extension, crisper highs and handles higher volume levels without distortion.  I compared in passive mode to keep it fair.  In fairness to the Amperior, is is a great looking headphone, particularly in blue aluminum and is so light and comfortable, I forget it is on my head.  Even though I do most of my listening on the go, I am willing to sacrifice comfort for sound quality.

I'm gonna throw out a hazard on the bolded part. Be careful with these cans, as you can easily get up to "not safe for human consumption" levels with no distortion, or at least I sometimes do
basshead.gif
 with a great album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back